VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With gas prices skyrocketing, I have to wonder: Do I really need to use 93 octane gas in my 12v VR6?? And for that matter, does my girlfriend need to use it in her 180hp 1.8t?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Re: Octane -- level with me here (VR6daveGLX)

Yes, I would highly recommend sticking with at least 91 octane. The engine was designed around that octane. I know it sucks paying over $2 for a gallon of gas, but your vr is thanking you.
I think there may be a dyno around here somewhere that shows the hp loss with lower octanes....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Octane -- level with me here (VDubMKIV)

Great, thanks a lot. Fortunately, I have been getting much better mileage lately (I was getting something like 13 city), by simply realizing that my tires need 44 PSI ... any other mileage tips would be most welcome.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts

Quote, originally posted by VR6daveGLX »
With gas prices skyrocketing, I have to wonder: Do I really need to use 93 octane gas in my 12v VR6?? And for that matter, does my girlfriend need to use it in her 180hp 1.8t?

for a stock vr?? if i remember the manual correctly, vw calls for 87. id have to check mine to be 100% positive. but im pretty sure its 87.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Octane -- level with me here (mrk130)

Hmmm, I thought I saw something in the filler lid that said it needs 91 or higher. Too bad it's either 89 or 93 here. Granted, I'm sure it's helping the engine out a bit.

·
Registered
198 Posts

Here's something for everyone to ponder. One of my best friends worx for EXXON. He's been there a long time, anyways, I installed a GIAC chip which calls for minimum 91 octane. While telling my friend about the minimum octane, he interupted and asked "how sure was I that I was getting 91 otc." I told him whenever I went to the pump, that's what I would select. Weeeell, he mentioned that gas stations are required to buy a certain amount of each octane fuel. Now, when they run out of a particular octane...let's say 91, then they refill the tank with whatever they have left lying around, for instance, 83 octane. He had no data as far as where, when and how often this occurs, but he suggested that busier gas stations do this on a regular basis all over the U.S. But here's the kicker, they don't go the opposite way, like swapping 91 for 83. Because of price kickbacks. They pay top dollar for 93 and they are going to get top dollar for it. Be cautious.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Re: Octane -- level with me here (rydmor)

Interesting and I find it rather hard to believe. But to answer the persons post. If you have a stock VR with a "STOCK" chip then by all meens do not worry about running the cheap lower octane. Sure the car may loos a few HP but it will NOT hurt it at all.
Here is Seattle 92 octane is up to 2.63 a gallon in some places.
Quote, originally posted by rydmor »
Here's something for everyone to ponder. One of my best friends worx for EXXON. He's been there a long time, anyways, I installed a GIAC chip which calls for minimum 91 octane. While telling my friend about the minimum octane, he interupted and asked "how sure was I that I was getting 91 otc." I told him whenever I went to the pump, that's what I would select. Weeeell, he mentioned that gas stations are required to buy a certain amount of each octane fuel. Now, when they run out of a particular octane...let's say 91, then they refill the tank with whatever they have left lying around, for instance, 83 octane. He had no data as far as where, when and how often this occurs, but he suggested that busier gas stations do this on a regular basis all over the U.S. But here's the kicker, they don't go the opposite way, like swapping 91 for 83. Because of price kickbacks. They pay top dollar for 93 and they are going to get top dollar for it. Be cautious.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Re: Octane -- level with me here (rydmor)

Quote, originally posted by rydmor »

I would think this policy would run afoul with the FTC or various state/federal regulatory organizations.
The fuel door does say something about 91 octane recommended. Fortunately the place by my house is the same price regardless of grade. 2nd choice is Sam's club, still cheap but its a bit out of my way.

Modified by ericthebikeman at 1:24 PM 5-19-2004

·
Registered
1,193 Posts

Use the LOWEST octane which will produce acceptable performance If your car will run well(well enough) on the "cheap" stuff then run it. In the winter I run 87 all the time with no problems but as soon as summer hits and the air temp gets into the 80's the engine will ping like crazy. I have to move up a grade. Octane is a RESISTANCE to burning so if you don't have enough compression to overcome that resistance, you are wasting gas.
Jeff

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Re: Octane -- level with me here (jpete)

I filled up with 87 last week and honestly did not notice much of a difference between the 93 I filled up with yesterday. If I lost any power it was a few HP at most. No knocking or pinging and I actually got better gas mileage

I still think its worth the extra $$$ for 93 as insurance but I found that interesting.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Re: Octane -- level with me here (jedimindcontrol)

Quote, originally posted by jedimindcontrol »
I filled up with 87 last week and honestly did not notice much of a difference between the 93 I filled up with yesterday. If I lost any power it was a few HP at most. No knocking or pinging and I actually got better gas mileage

I still think its worth the extra $$$ for 93 as insurance but I found that interesting.

That is exactly how it should be. The knock sensor will pull a little timing out if any ping is detected and 87 burns more easily/completely than 93 so you should use less, as you found out. 93 is buying you insurance, you are just buying more gas.
Jeff

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Re: Octane -- level with me here (jpete)

if you are chipped, use premium, if you want to be a cheap [email protected] use midgrade....but only for road trips. Our cars have dual knock sensors, they pick up slight pinging noises made by the motor, and adjusts the timing accordingly. Many of those pings you may or may not hear. You might loose a couple of hp by running lower octane, most likely not enough to notice. It is your motor, and if you want to damage it by having lots of predetionation, that is your choice. For me, I will pay the extra 10cents a gallon to go 91 or better.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Re: Octane -- level with me here (jungle)

Quote, originally posted by jungle »
if you are chipped, use premium, if you want to be a cheap [email protected] use midgrade....but only for road trips. Our cars have dual knock sensors, they pick up slight pinging noises made by the motor, and adjusts the timing accordingly. Many of those pings you may or may not hear. You might loose a couple of hp by running lower octane, most likely not enough to notice. It is your motor, and if you want to damage it by having lots of predetionation, that is your choice. For me, I will pay the extra 10cents a gallon to go 91 or better.

That's true, by the time you hear the pinging, the computer has been pulling timing out for a while.
Jeff

·
Registered
143 Posts
listen to your engine. if it's pings, up the octane.
if you are a hardcore street racer, get premium.
if you drive around regularly, go with the lowest octane possible.
i think most people here are suffering from 'i only drink evian' syndrome

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
Re: (ryan2425)

Quote, originally posted by ryan2425 »
i think most people here are suffering from 'i only drink evian' syndrome

My GIAC chipped vr6 will "ping" below 91 octane, and sometimes using 91 octane during the summer. 93+ octane solves this "problem".
edit: And no, I'm not a "street-racer". Just an average joe trying to make the commute as entertaining as possible.

Modified by f1forkvr6 at 8:10 PM 5-24-2004

·
Registered
125 Posts
low octane fuel should not damage your engine. The knock-sensors should retard the timing in a way to keep the engine damage-free. In this process of retarding the timing, however, your engine loses power because the timing is not optimal. You sacrifice performance for engine safety.

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
Re: (drewdubin)

If you drive hard or like your engine and want to keep it for a long time use high octane!
I think it would be a crime to sell 87 in a 91 pump, exxon employee needs to squeal to the Feds.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Re: (gehr)

What does pinging sound life? I have an electronic chirping noise coming from the pass side of the engine when I press the throttle down at certain points, is this the pinging?

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Re: (95' GLX VR6)

After running a few tanks of 89 (which is ok by the MKIII fuel door)
to save Money..
I then ran some 94 then a tank of 89 then 91...
My Mfa says (1) 11.3L (2) 11.8 L/100km's This is in 5th at 120kph
70mph... On 91octane.
100KM's is 62.5 miles (approx) 4.5L to a gallon or 5
cant remember.....
I think setting (1) is the variable & (2) is the averaged?
no owners manual...

Any ways my butt dyno felt a little differance in "throttle response"

So being the tech forum anybody know ...how much timming gets pulled or added & what that relates to in Hp/tq

Modified by Illuminated at 8:51 AM 5-25-2004

1 - 20 of 28 Posts