VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok im new yes but not new to cars so i did the basics and did the searching and basically want to know if my conclusion is rational...
ok the car has a little exhaust leak not soo much the problem but sounds bad lol, but anyway yesterday drove to work no problem...but on my way home the car in any gear was stumbling real bad under any type of gas pedal pressure and barely idleing. Now i would floor it, it would wait a min almost die then it seemed like i broke through a wall and it took off until low rpm in next gear.... so i then got pissed and kept my foot on the gas and it did the same thing but then it was like i cleared something out and it ran fine? but every now and then it does the same thing, my theory is i think my cats are bad and clogged up not allowing any exhaust out of the car and forcing it to stumble. I ruled out vaccum because it runs fine 90% of the time and fuel doesnt make sense to me either but let me know what you think thanks in advance

·
Registered
111 Posts
well, i know an exhaust leak will throw off the O2 sensor which can throw off everything else. could be cats...when the O2 sensor messes up, causes it to run richer, it can clog a cat. you could cut the cat out, put a test pipe in and see if it gets better...but there are a lot of things that can cause this...when's the last time it was tuned up? well, there are a lot of possibilities, i'm not sure about 'em all because i, too, am new to these...so i'll let others who know a lot more chime in...
Josh

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Re: (Hothatchback)

I was having a similar problem with my Jetta (1990 Jetta, 1.8L 8V). In this case, it was a worn distributor cap and rotor that was causing my problem. I found once I repalced the cap and rotor, my hesitation issues were gone.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Re: ODD hesitation.... (gmoney9038)

If it were the cat, it wouldn't rev out at all. Cats can't clog and unclog intemittently.
Make sure both of your fuel pumps are running and check your timing.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Re: ODD hesitation.... (Rare Hare)

If you think the cat is clogged, get under the car, and smack the cat with a mallet. If you hear it jingle then it's probably clogged...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts