VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently my rad fan has been coming on too early. I will drive a couple of minutes and the fan turns on and stays on after I turn the ignition off. Normally it wouldn't come on until it hit the second large mark (190?) on the coolant temp gauge. High speed would come on at 230.
When I had the car turned off but the after run fan was going, I pulled out that 5 amp fuse in the FCM and it was blown. I replaced it and as soon as I put it in the fan stopped. Pulled it out and it started up again.
I disconnected my aux water pump, and I am still blowing the 5 amp fuses on the FCM. Any idea what could be blowing this fuse even though the aux water pump is disconnected?
For the record, at what temps are the fans supposed to come on?
Thanks,
Paul

Modified by a_riot at 2:42 PM 8-27-2006

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Odd rad fan problem...did search (fastslc)

All speeds work fine, its just coming on too early and seems to be blowing the 5a fuse in the FCM.

·
Banned
6,423 Posts
Re: Odd rad fan problem...did search (a_riot)

if its coming on earlier than posted above, you may just have a lower temp fan switch. thats good. As far as fuses blowing.. Check the wirings for shorts, chaffed wires, etc. Also the FCM was recalled, be sure yours is covered & was replaced. Its a very simple job. UE Recall kit is whats required. About $65 new. I have a good used one for $35 shipped.
Even if it was replaced already, they tend to go bad if wet. the location is not the most ideal. (*the FCM is basically a relay box)

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Odd rad fan problem...did search (gtimagic)

Ok, thanks for your advice. I ordered a recall kit, mine had already been done once. It keeps blowing that 5 amp fuse so I am going to do the FCM, all temp related sensors and thermoswitch. It's all 13 years old at this point so I don't owe it anything. It's too stressful driving a C with nebulous cooling. I drove it for a couple weeks last summer with no rad fan and it isn't fun. Probably have to do crack pipe, therm housing etc soon too...boy what fun!
Paul

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Odd rad fan problem...did search (a_riot)

Ok this is weird and getting me pissed. I just replaced my aux water pump and FCM. Still though I am blowing that 5a fuse in the FCM. If the after run fan is going, I can pull that fuse and put in a new one and it blows as soon as I put it in. This seems to me to point to the rad fan drawing too much power, but the fan is only a year old. I can't find that 5a fuse in the wiring diagrams to see what it is connected to.
Any one have any ideas about this stupid fuse blowing? If it is the rad fan is there a way to test to see if it is? I guess I can just unplug the fan and see if still blows that fuse. Sucks if its the fan since it is relatively new and difficult to get to.
Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts