VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on the freeway playing with the MAF and realized that my mpr needle was about five mpr faster that the MAF. I also decided to check my RPMs through the odomiter, but that was within 30rpm. So, my question is which is more accurate? The MAF or the needle? Also, someone posted what your rpms should be while at 80mpr while in fifth gear depending on your final drive ratio. Could someone list those rpms? I would like to compare them to what my rpms were this afternoon.
Thanks

[Modified by azul, 3:17 AM 4-5-2002]

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: odomiter vs the MAF question (tatge)

quote:[HR][/HR]Gear /ratio /final /top speed /[email protected]
5 /0.84 /3.39 /183 /3062
5 /0.84 /3.65 /170 /3297
5 /0.84 /3.94 /157 /3558[HR][/HR]​
Intresting
If I go by the speedo, my rpms are at about 3200, but if I go by the MAF, they are around 3450 or so. I will have to find a good straight highway and take a better look. I bought my car used about 6 months ago from a dealer and am curious if the car has been modded in the past. It apeered stock. Is there any other way that I may go about in seeing what my possible final drive would be without taking apart the tranny?
Thanks for the help so far

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: odomiter vs the MAF question (Lord of the Blings)

quote:[HR][/HR]your 3.94 readings are way off.
Ive got the 3.94 on a GTi tranny and here slightly over 80mph
[HR][/HR]​
If I were to take that same shot in my car, my tach would read about 3400 to 3600rpms.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Re: odomiter vs the MAF question (azul)

quote:[HR][/HR]I was on the freeway playing with the MAF and realized that my mpr needle was about five mpr faster that the MAF. I also decided to check my RPMs through the odomiter, but that was within 30rpm. So, my question is which is more accurate? The MAF or the needle? Also, someone posted what your rpms should be while at 80mpr while in fifth gear depending on your final drive ratio. Could someone list those rpms? I would like to compare them to what my rpms were this afternoon.
Thanks

[Modified by azul, 3:17 AM 4-5-2002][HR][/HR]​
quick question, whats 202 represent ??? isnt that oil heat ??? jeezus thats hot man, mine is around 102 when i go like 200 on the highway.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: odomiter vs the MAF question (AndrewVR6)

Okay, I just got back from running some errands, and I had a chance to check my rpms at 80mph. I took the car to 85 according to the speedo. Hit the MAF to see what it said (which was 80), and my rpms were about 3500. So, what does that tell me? Are my ratios stock for a 97 VR6?

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: odomiter vs the MAF question (AndrewVR6)

quote:[HR][/HR]quick question, whats 202 represent ??? isnt that oil heat ??? jeezus thats hot man, mine is around 102 when i go like 200 on the highway.[HR][/HR]​
Lord of the Bling's oil temp does not look to hot to me. VRs are hot motors to begin with. If you have oil temp at 102 while traveling at 200mph, then I have to see what you have in your car

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: odomiter vs the MAF question (Lord of the Blings)

Well, I searched around and found a website that has a calculator for speed (www.smokemup.com )and rpm. From that I have found out that I possibly have a 3.65 final in my tranny (keep in mind that I have a 97 GTI). With a tire of 23.88 inches (205/55/15) and the fifth of .84, I found that at 2k rpms I should be at 47mph, at 3k rpms I should be at 70 mph and at 3.5k rpms I should be at 82 mph. I went out and checked my speeds at those rpms and sure enough, they pretty much matched. Does that sound about right to everyone else?

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Re: odomiter vs the MAF question (azul)

quote:[HR][/HR]odd sized tires could throw you off

Stock DE rims with 205/55/15s[HR][/HR]​
stock tire size on DE wheels is 205-50-15, not 205-55-15..maybe that is causing your errors.... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: odomiter vs the MAF question (GTIMAN99)

Hmm... Mabey that is it. But, I calculated the rpms with the tire size that I have on the car. Eitherway, knowing that those tires are a little to big is good to know. I wish I had known sooner since I just bought new tires.
Just went back to the www.smokemup.com website and calculated compared the two different tire sizes. The difference is only two mph. Hmm...

[Modified by azul, 7:27 AM 4-7-2002]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.