VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OEM INTEGRATED BLUETOOTH TELEPHONE INSTALL

DISCLAIMER
This document is provided for informational purposes only. Any Vehicle modification should be done by a certified VW mechanic. Neither the author nor this website will be held liable for action taken resulting from this information set forth herein.
CAUTION:
Before doing any electrical work on your Vehicle make sure to disconnect the negative terminal on your
Battery
The BT was installed on a 2005.5 Jetta 2.5 Package 2

Part Numbers:

5P0 862 335 C- Interface Unit
8P0 035 503 E- Bluetooth Antenna
3B0 035 711 B- Microphone
1Z0 971 813 62U- Covering Panel Black
N909 469 01- Expanding Nuts x 2
N908 170 03- Torx Screws x 2
6U0 819 055- clip x 2
The Kit comes with everything you see in the picture above.
The price for the kit including shipping was £ 214.00 = $449.00USD
Ordering Info:
Email: [email protected]

Optional Parts

These parts are require if you don’t want to cut your stock wire harness.
000 979 134 - 1mm CSA wire x 1 cut the wire in half for the Can Hi and Low male connections.
000 979 133 - 1mm CSA wire x 1 cut the wire in half) for the Can Hi and Low female connections.
000 979 226 – 2.5mm CSA wire x 1 cut the wire in half for the ground and Live male connection
000 979 225 – 2.5mm CSA wire x 1 cut the wire in half for the ground and Live male connection
191 972 701 Housing X 4
191 972 711 Connector Housing x 4
You can order these from your local VW/Audi Dealer or http://worldimpex.com/
The cables are about $5.69ea. @ The dealer and about $3.60 at worldimpex
TOOLS
10mm socket
Flat head screw driver
Box Cutter / exacto Knife
20 Torx Screw Driver
Trim removal tools
Wire strippers
Crimping tools
To remove OEM Radio / NAV unit from your car
Follow the iPod DIY install
I forgot to take pictures during the removal of the foot well trim, but you all should know by now how to do it.
Wiring the microphone
Remove the A pillar lining by removing the Airbag Tab to gain access to a 20 HEX screw.
The A Pillar is held in place by four plastic grips. Starting at the top near the head lining, gently pull it away from the A pillar, you may need to lever them using the trim removal tool.

Once the trim is removed the A pillar should look like this.
! BE CAREFUL NOT TO MESS UP WITH THE AIRBAG!

I ran the Microphone wire inside the A pillar, there are several holes that you can use to run the wire to the top of the A pillar. I use a piece of solid wire that help me guide the microphone plug to the top of the A pillar.

Remove the vanity light from the headliner
Be careful not to brake the vanity light lens like I did once the light is remove use a solid wire to go to the A pillar and tide down the mic cable. Now start pulling the wire gently so you won’t damage any cable inside the head lining.

Install the MIC on the OEM place
I use one of those plastic credit card offers you get in the mail to remove the mesh plastic cover.
Next open the Sun glass holder and you’ll see two locking tab, gently lever these with a flat screw driver. Disconnect the plug to the interior light. Remove the sponge and insert the OEM mic in place. It only goes in one way.

Once you have run the mic cable to the interior light location. Plug the mic to the cable and pull back any extra cable and hide it on the foot well inside of the carpet of the car.
Mounting the Bluetooth Unit
Look under the passenger side seat (with the seat push all the way back) Jetta/GLI models. You can see where the carpet is pre cut for the mounting bracket for the BT unit.
Using an x-acto knife to cut the two squares to clear the mounting holes

Insert the expanding nuts on the mounting holes and mount BT unit

Connect the wire loom and the Bluetooth antenna and cover BT unit

Now you need to run the other cables to the Radio/NAV unit.
I use the same method of the headlining to run the rest of the wire loom. If you check your glove compartment where the car manual is located, you will notice that it has two big holes.

Making the Connections using the optional cables
The connections you need to make behind the radio are as follows -
CAN Hi - Pin 9 (Orange/Purple)
CAN Lo - Pin 10 (Orange/Brown)
Ground - Pin 12 (Brown)
12v Positive Supply - Pin 16 (Red/yellow)
This can be done by using Scotch Loc connectors or even inline crimps however I didn't fancy cutting my car wiring. This bit will add some more time and a little more cost but in my opinion is worthwhile.

Working with the Quad lock connector in the car, slide out the pink locking tab, next remove the colored wires listed above one at a time, making up the loom and inserting the terminal of the newly constructed loom back into the right position. To remove the wires use a folded paper clip or similar, pushed into the open end of the plug to release the barbs on terminal and then pull out the wire.
When you have the terminals removed from the plug it should look like this -

The male part of the black connectors can now be fitted and should like like this

The female part of the black connectors look like this

The process for making each connection should be as follows
Strip the ends of the Bluetooth Kit wiring loom. Cut one of each of the yellow connecting wire terminals off with about 2 inches of spare wire and strip the ends of those. Using an inline crimp join the three wires together so that you end up with a male and female yellow wire connected to each wire of the Bluetooth Kit wiring loom, you'll need large crimps for the power and ground cables and medium size crimps for the CAN cables.

Insert the Green audio connector into the Quad lock connector.
With all the connections firmly in place, replace the pink locking tab back into the Quad lock connector. If necessary use some cable ties to tidy things up a little.
Refit the radio, replace the four Torx screws and push on the surrounding trim.
By now you should have completely rebuilt your car and hopefully not have any bits left over. That being the case and if you are happy you can reconnect the negative lead of your battery.
Connecting Bluetooth phone to car
I use a Motorola V3m from Verizon. Go to the settings of your phone and enable your Bluetooth.
Then go to the option to look for a BT device. The phone is going to ask you for the security code. I think the code varies from each manufacturer. Once the phone is paired with the BT kit you will hear a tone indicating that the connection is successful, then the BT unit will start loading your phone book contents do the BT unit.

Also the phone button on my car work. The button to make call will bring the phone book and you need to use the windshield stalk B button to scroll down the contacts, or other option

CODING WITH VAG-COM
CAN Gateway - Controller 19
This controller uses Long Coding, recoding should be carried out using the Long Coding Helper built into VAG-COM. Select Byte 3 and put a tick in Bit 7 to enable Controller 77 Telephone. Write the Long Code back to the car.
Telephone - Controller 77
The controller soft coding should be set to 0000422
The following channels should be adapted with the values listed -
channel 128 - 0
channel 129 - 6
channel 130 - 2
channel 131 - 130
channel 132 - 0
channel 133 - 1
channel 134 - 0
channel 135 - 1234
channel 136 - 9
channel 137 - 1
channel 139 - 0

Special Thanks go to Stuart from the http://octavia-vrs.com/technical/bluetooth.html for proving me with the Kit and his website.
I would like to apologize to Carlosabh for not giving him credit. He was the first person here in the forum to do the install on his 06 GLI.
Here is the link of his post.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3466588
Also give thanks to Andrey Economov of Russia for his help and especially for the following information -
If you have a car fitted with the Multi Function Steering Wheel it is possible to modify the coding so that you can use the Mute button on the steering wheel to activate the voice dialing function of the installed telephone system.

Using VAG-COM open Controller 16 - Steering and select Coding 07.
You should see a 7 digit soft code which will be in the format 00xxxxx
the 4th digit from the right corresponds to the steering wheel variant. If you have a 4 spoke MFSW without the Cruise Control buttons it should be a 2. Change this to a 3 and that should convert your Mute button to activate the Voice Dialing.
NOTE:
Some of the content and photos were borrowed fromhttp://octavia-vrs.com/technical/bluetooth.html.
Some additional VAG-COM changes might be require on:
Address 56: Radio Labels: 1K0-035-095.LBL
Part No: 1K0 035 095 D
Component: Radio 0012
Coding: 0010046 original code / New code 0012046 (thanks to Andy from the VAG-COM section for your help)
Shop #: WSC 01279
Remember that each radio setup isdifferent in each model and year of our cars.
I retrofitted an OEM NAV, installed on OEM ipod Adapter. car came stock with Sirius SAT radio.
Here is a list of Phones that I have personally used or tested with my setup:
Motorola Razr V3M --------> Verizon----> OK
LG VX8550 Chocolate 2 --->Verizon-----> OK
Black Berry Storm---------->Verizon-----> OK
iPhone (Jailbroken)--------> T-mobile--->OK
iPhone ---------------------> AT&T--------> OK
iPhone 3G------------------> AT&T -------> OK
All the phones tested were able to transfer the entire phone book, place / receive calls without any problems.

Modified by mdonis at 7:52 PM 2-5-2009

·
Registered
2018 Atlas V6 R-Line; 2019 330ix M-Sport
33,313 Posts
driver's side is empty... the sat box is on the passenger side.
i just ran out and looked at my 06 GTI and the precut squares are there underneath the driver's side.
i wonder if there is a phone compatability list floating around? research time...

Compatability list (of sorts) for the BT kit in the SEAT Leon:
http://www.seatcupra.net/forum...99857

Modified by NoDubJustYet at 10:50 PM 10-11-2007

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (NoDubJustYet)

Quote, originally posted by NoDubJustYet »
driver's side is empty... the sat box is on the passenger side.
i just ran out and looked at my 06 GTI and the precut squares are there underneath the driver's side.
i wonder if there is a phone compatability list floating around? research time...

Compatability list (of sorts) for the BT kit in the SEAT Leon:
http://www.seatcupra.net/forum...99857

Modified by NoDubJustYet at 10:50 PM 10-11-2007

Well we can add my cellphone
1. Motorola Razr V3M from Verizon

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Re: (the.ronin)

Quote, originally posted by the.ronin »
Nice bro!!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (NoDubJustYet)

Quote, originally posted by NoDubJustYet »
does anything magically appear on the NAV screen or does it just mute?
how is the interface within the MFA screen? is it a pretty intuitive display?

Modified by NoDubJustYet at 12:30 AM 10-12-2007

The radio gets muted, you see the word Telephone on the bottom part of the screen if you have a NAV and you see the name of person on the MFD.
The interface is pretty simple, press the phone button on your steering wheel and it will bring up the phone menu. Then you will have to use the windshield wiper stalk button A to gain access to the phone book and the button B to scroll down the Tel # on your phone book. I didn't have time to enable the voice activated function on the steering wheel. I am fighting a cold and I was feeling really tiredduring the install, I was feeling like crap, but the only thing that kept me going was the BT kit install. maybe tomorrow I will go play around with the voice activated feature.
The picture below it shows you how to control the phone options.

Modified by mdonis at 10:45 AM 10-13-2007

·
Registered
50 Posts
Re: OEM Bluetooth DIY (mdonis)

Very nice write up Mario and it's great that you got it all working, I am very pleased for you. Do you like the way it operates?
As you have steering wheel buttons are you using Voice Dialing?

Modified by vRStu at 11:03 PM 10-11-2007

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Re: (mdonis)

Quote, originally posted by mdonis »

The radio gets muted only and you see the name of person on the MFD
The interface is pretty simple, press the phone button on your steering wheel and it will bring up the phone menu. Then you will have to use the windshield wiper stalk button A to gain access to the phone book and the button B to scroll down the Tel # on your phone book. I didn't have time to enable the voice activated function on the steering wheel. I am fighting a cold and I was feeling really tiredduring the install, I was feeling like crap, but the only thing that kept me going was the BT kit install. maybe tomorrow I will go play around with the voice activated feature.

I noticed that you have an 05.5. Those had the steering wheels with TWO phone buttons and the MFA on the wiper stalk, right? Because from the other threads I've been reading, the single phone button on newer cars doesn't work, but you can still scroll through using the MFA controls on the wheel.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: OEM Bluetooth DIY (vRStu)

Quote, originally posted by vRStu »
Very nice write up Mario and it's great that you got it all working, I am very pleased for you. Do you like the way it operates?
As you have steering wheel buttons are you using Voice Dialing?

Modified by vRStu at 11:03 PM 10-11-2007

vRStu, I haven't work on the voice dialing feature yet. I am a little sick with a cold and during the install was feeling really sick and I had fever
so I just finish the main install of the BT kit and went inside the house to rest. I will attempt to do the voice dialing on Saturday.

Modified by mdonis at 1:03 AM 10-12-2007

·
Internet Lighting Police
9,498 Posts
Great job and good write up.....

I wonder if the job would have gone as well if you hadn't had a cold.

Fantastic job. It also seems to have answered a lot of open questions (ie CDMA phone book transfer)
I think you said that the job took about 4 hours (6-8 without the fever), so folks really need to schedule this for an off day...

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
That is bad assed. Damn it's expensive though. Can we see some more pics of it in action. Does it show "phone" on the radio head unit. Can I see a couple of pics of the MFD menu options and contact list on the MFD.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (vw151)

Quote, originally posted by vw151 »
That is bad assed. Damn it's expensive though. Can we see some more pics of it in action. Does it show "phone" on the radio head unit. Can I see a couple of pics of the MFD menu options and contact list on the MFD.

Here is one more picture of the action.

I didn't notice if it display phone on the radio, but I need to check again because I forgot to do some VAG-COM changes on the address 56.

1 - 20 of 194 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.