VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
oempl.us has the foglights that I am interested in buying, BUT, question about them first, Under Version, it says select "reflector" or "Projector", which the second option is $40 bucks more.
Can you guys tell me what the big old difference is? Also, I heard of some bulbs from Europe that actually cut the fog like there truly suppose to @ a price of course. Anyone heard of these? Anchorage got its first dump of snow and fog, and would like to get these before I crash into a moose!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Re: OEM foglight question, (musquiz)

Projectors should throw a tighter beam pattern further down the road, more like a "driving" light.
The reflectors should give a wider dispersion, not quite as tight.
But without having seen them on a Jetta in a side by side comparison, I could be talking out of my a$$.

I'm still shopping for lights myself, and I'm inclined to go for the projector housings personnaly. I drive lots of rural roads at night and I'm hoping the beam will light up the road further ahead than reflectors.
Is the "lighting module" version number something that will show up in a vag scan?

Modified by CADtech at 6:12 PM 10-30-2006

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: OEM foglight question, (CADtech)

I thought it claims oem setup, but not sure of that. Anyone installed these yet? Vagcom?
A friend of mine was telling me about these fog bulbs out of Germany that allows the Porsche dudes to fly down the highways with nasty fog, cuts right through the stuff, would love to get my hands on those!
Not necessarily to bomb down the highway, but for the safety

·
Registered
8,020 Posts
Re: (Mchu86)

Quote, originally posted by Mchu86 »
Not necessarily. Just a headlight switch with a foglight option is all that's needed. But most people end up getting the Euro switch anyways,

i never found a use for a euro switch. i run the fogs as drl, so when i want the headlights, i just turn the switch. but the euro switch does give you more options for those that need it.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Re: (D.Passat00)

Quote, originally posted by D.Passat00 »

i never found a use for a euro switch. i run the fogs as drl, so when i want the headlights, i just turn the switch. but the euro switch does give you more options for those that need it.

I agree. That's why I opted to go with a OEM GTI switch that someone is getting rid of (for the foglight option) as opposed to spending $60+ for a Euro switch that has functions that I wouldn't even use

·
Registered
280 Posts
Re: (Mchu86)

Quote, originally posted by Mchu86 »

I agree. That's why I opted to go with a OEM GTI switch that someone is getting rid of (for the foglight option) as opposed to spending $60+ for a Euro switch that has functions that I wouldn't even use

x3
All I did is get a used OEM GTI headlight switch .... saved a lot of $$
Back to the original question, projectors are better, but I opted for the reflectors. I haven't installed anything yet, but I assume that there is some VAG-COM involved, and your control module has to be compatible (not a must, there are ways around it)

Modified by carrocha at 9:42 AM 11-1-2006

·
Banned
21,195 Posts
Re: OEM foglight question, (musquiz)

musquiz...look time no talk

how is Alaska man......
anyway check one of my older threads out...
o have had OEM projector fogs for a while now..great light output,but to be honest..they are not that much better than the standard housing..
and yes,they use hallogen bulbs http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2820834
hope this is what u are looking for

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.