VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (gsantarelli1)

The little bag has anchors in it. I assume you drill, place the frame on, and push those anchors through. Funny thing is, the anchors don't seem to fit through the holes on the frame. I'll have to figure this out tonight.
That is, after school and my damn fire dept. meeting

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Re: (NerfBall)

Quote, originally posted by NerfBall »
so, maybe a dumb question, but this will replace the piece in the center of the grill right? it looks basically the same except for the holes for the screws.

No, it's a Euro plate holder (just barely bigger than a Euro plate). I've been looking for this since getting our MKV. It will fit just like what you can see in the Euro pics of the GTI/Jetta.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Added to the "part numbers" FAQ. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
Re: (thread)

Quote, originally posted by thread »
This will make Tim happy http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Yes, yes it does satisfy the need.
Thanks Greg!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (Tim Birney)

Quote, originally posted by Tim Birney »

Yes, yes it does satisfy the need.
Thanks Greg!

No problem Tim!! Now I just have to figure out how it correctly mounts. The anchors have threads in them. I'm assuming you drill 4 holes in the chrome, push the anchors in, then drill 4 holes in the plate, and install the screws, which tightens the anchor. I have to go find screws at Lowe's since the frame didn't come with any.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Re: (mreuro)

Quote, originally posted by mreuro »
If i get this do i have to drill to mount it?

That's what's intended, however since it will sit flush with the bumper (being contoured) I bet you could get away with using double sided 3M foam adhesive tape. I'll be drilling, as I don't plan on getting rid of it after it's on. I've had Euro plates on my last 6 or so cars.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (VWYankee)

Quote, originally posted by VWYankee »

That's what's intended, however since it will sit flush with the bumper (being contoured) I bet you could get away with using double sided 3M foam adhesive tape. I'll be drilling, as I don't plan on getting rid of it after it's on. I've had Euro plates on my last 6 or so cars.

Same here. I just wanna make sure I have to right size bit and everything when I drill.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Re: (gsantarelli1)

Quote, originally posted by gsantarelli1 »
Same here. I just wanna make sure I have to right size bit and everything when I drill.

I'll likely do what I did with my MKIV, and just pull the bumper off, and attach it then, so I'm not blindly drilling into something I shouldn't. That way I can actually bolt it to the bumper instead of worrying about screws coming loose (if they're screwed just in the plastic).

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
Re: (VWYankee)

Quote, originally posted by VWYankee »

Well i used the 3M tape on my golf, but this time i want to get that bracket and as much as dont want to i will drill to have it mounted.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (mreuro)

The way it looks is the anchors go into the bumper first, then the bracket and plate, screws through the plate lock in the plate and frame, at least this is what I think. I might just screw in the plate frame and 3M tape the plate on. Will the 3M tape stand up to water, cold, heat, and car wash soap?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.