VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As stated.

I had bud at checkered flag tell me I could order a new key if I knew what the key code was but the key code is only found in the users manual. Don't have one of those unfortunately. Is there another way to figure out what key I have?
Borrowed this picture from another user. (I also have a PG Wolfsburg)

·
Registered
3,170 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Re: OEM Jetta Roof rack...NO KEY...what are my options??? (ViRtUaLheretic)

I had the same problem. The seller I bought the racks from didn't mention that he lost the key, nor did he bother to help me identify them (dealer was just as useless). What I did was take a picture of the head of the screw and have people compare theirs and eventually I found a match! soooooooo, you should do that too..

·
Registered
525 Posts
Re: OEM Jetta Roof rack...NO KEY...what are my options??? (lov2fly)

Quote, originally posted by lov2fly »
Check for a # on the Lock Cylinder, like on the Thule Rack.

I wish it were that easy.. there is no way to identify the key on the rack itself. the OEM one. at least mine didn't

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: FV-QR (afsaturn99)

Ha...
Looks like with some more detailed searching I have found out that I am screwed. LOL
Search Results
Anyway, I have had one dealer tell me that they CANNOT order new bolts or a new key which is ridiculous.
I will be calling Bud at Checkered Flag
Thanks guys

·
Registered
526 Posts
Re: FV-QR (A2JettaGLI18)

You sure there is no number stamped on the lock by the key hole. I work for Porsche and all the OEM Porsche (rebadged thule) racks have the key number stamped on them.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Re: FV-QR (SocksA3)

Quote, originally posted by lov2fly »
Check for a # on the Lock Cylinder, like on the Thule Rack.

Quote, originally posted by SocksA3 »
You sure there is no number stamped on the lock by the key hole.

Guys, if this is a true VW Jetta OEm rack -- hard to tell from the photo, but it doesn't really look like the OEM rack -- it won't work. there is no lock cylinder like on the Thule racks.
Instead there's a splined bolt...

...over which a matching T-wrench fits to loosen it...

Yes, if you don't have the wrench, the only way you can find the code (two letters in my case) is from the instruction sheet. (The code is also stamped on the back of the splined socket of the wrench, but that won't help here.)
I understand there's only a limited number of different codes, though... like on the order of ten or so? So a nice VW parts guy might have a rack set or wrench(es) in stock, and you might luck out and find a wrench that fits.
Other than that, I'd agree with the previous poster that suggested you take a good close-up photo of the splined bolt and see if anyone has a rack that matches -- you'd at least have the correct code to see if you could order just the wrench.
It might also be useful if you could describe what the spline pattern is, going around the bolt from the arrow.
Alternately, you might be able to hammer a socket over the bolts and turn them that way. (Not a lot of room through the holes in the plastic covers to get a set of Vice Grips on it.) I'm not sure whether the bolts come all the way out, but if it does you'd then be able to replace them with corresponding bolts from Home Depot. Won't be secure, of course...

Modified by Marek K at 4:16 PM 4-9-2010

·
Registered
822 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Marek K)

Quote, originally posted by Marek K »

Other than that, I'd agree with the previous poster that suggested you take a good close-up photo of the splined bolt and see if anyone has a rack that matches -- you'd at least have the correct code to see if you could order just the wrench.
It might also be useful if you could describe what the spline pattern is, going around the bolt from the arrow.
Alternately, you might be able to hammer a socket over the bolts and turn them that way. (Not a lot of room through the holes in the plastic covers to get a set of Vice Grips on it.) I'm not sure whether the bolts come all the way out, but if it does you'd then be able to replace them with corresponding bolts from Home Depot. Won't be secure, of course...
Modified by Marek K at 4:16 PM 4-9-2010

Agreed. The first thing to do is determine whether its an OEM rack - splined bolt like in Marek's picture or Thule or other - uses a conventional key.
If its OEM, take the best pictures you can looking straight on the end of the bolt head. I have an OEM rack and will compare the bolts. If you're really lucky it will be a match. Alternatively you'll be able to scratch one code off the list.
As for the Vice-Grips, there are smaller needle nose models available that might work if all else fails.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: FV-QR (sagerabbit)

UPDATE
First off, this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for guys.
I have a VW OEM roof rack with the splined bolt setup just so everyone knows. The rack is NOT INSTALLED on the car at this time. I want to instal it on my Jetta so I can transport my bike securely.
SIDENOTE: I have a VW Parts guy working on checking if I can ever order a tool for this rack if I discover the key code also. He is the Parts Manager up here and he has never ordered a "Torque Wrench" from VW for these racks. (The "KEY" is referred to as a torque wrench in the VW online catalog. ETKA I believe)

I will take a MACRO shot of the bolt for you all as well ASAP.

Modified by A2JettaGLI18 at 11:29 PM 4-10-2010

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (Boosted2003!)

Quote, originally posted by Boosted2003! »
I have my manual to my Passat Roof Racks I can see what the codes in the back of that are if that can help at all..

it might...I will take a picture of my bolt later today and update the post so we can see if anyone has a key like this so they can give me their code hopefully.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (A2JettaGLI18)

UPDATE!!!
Worked with the parts manager down at Dick Hannah VW and he hooked me up. He had no idea that you could order a replacement "TORQUE WRENCH" for this rack system on any VW/Audi but he was determined to find out how. Perseverance and a call to VWHeadquarters got us the SCANNED image of all 10 tool choices. Enjoy.
Mine has been ordered...just $30.00 dent in my pocket.

I will scan a better copy at work since this is just a camera pic of the sheet he let me have.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
Re: OEM Jetta Roof rack...NO KEY...what are my options??? (A2JettaGLI18)

*Edit* Too little too late.
Well, Here's some good news and some bad news.
The good news is that the separate torque wrenches do have separate part numbers.
The bad news is that there are 10 different codes. They are DU, HO, HS, KX, KR, LK, RL, ST, TV, and TP. To order the part number you need, it is 6Q0-071-712-** (Replace ** with the two digit code you want to order).
To make matters worse, some of the key codes are no longer available.
To make matters better, you can order a replacement bolt and ket set. 6Q0-071-737-G.

Modified by fixmy59bug at 6:05 PM 4-12-2010

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.