VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Re: OEM LED Installation (mclarenman82)

I just had my car serviced in dec for 20k miles and they didnt do any software updates on it. Usually it shows on my invoice. First time they havent had any updates since I first got it serviced a year ago. They didnt do the recall fix to the car though because the parts were not in stock... I have a damaged wheel and I just got new tires bringing it in for insurance work next week. Im gonna ask about this "update" for the computer. Hopefully it saves me some greif when I go to install my LEDs...

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
OK so I am planning on buying the LEDs, as cool as amber turn signals is I dont need it. I also have zero desire for the rear fogs. With a GTI has anyone been able to successfully swap pins and add the jumper and get both rings working and no bulb out/warning codes?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
If your using a GTI and you just want the regular stuff the code that was posted somewhere in here, is exactly what you need. Its what I have in mine. When my cable arrives this week I can open mine up and see what it says if nobody posts. Also your in NJ, how far are you from aberdeen? You can always come by and copy my code out of my car and put it in yours it should work!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I agree with Tim. It sounds like your got a few pins mixed up on the pass side. Keep in mind the pin numbering on the pass side is actually different positions than the driver side. Carefully recheck everything.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
You kinda need parking lights. If you dont have them, while driving at night you would only have brakes and turn signals and nobody would see you. If you read back at the begining of the thread it tells you how the lights will function without the additional wire. When I got my LED tails I just plugged them in and they sorta worked, i had turn signals and brakes no amber. But the constant bulb out errors are annoying. Just run the two wires, it takes all of 20 minutes of your time and you will not regret it!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Very simple. You start at your hood release, pull the panel back you dont need to remove the release handle, next remove your kick panel for the driver side door. There is a channel under here where wires can fit Take the two wires tie them in a knot together and zip tie them with plenty of slack past the zip tie for cutting under the dash. Route them thru. Next I popped my back seat up, it does not have to be removed just grab the seat cushion at the front and lift straight up. It may take some strenght to release the clips. After that you can pull the left side interior panel out just at the bottom, you dont need to release the entire panel just enough to slip the wires up under it and between the carpet.

Once you get this far you will need to remove the panel on the drivers side of the trunk completely along with the sill cover for the hatch as well. This is the plastic cover that has the spring loaded door on it where your hatch keeper is. To remove the driver side panel check for all screws. There may be one or two hidden behind small pop off cover doors. The panel just pulls right off after the screws come off. Once you get the panel off the rest of the routing is pretty straightforward. One wire goes right up to the driver side tail light and the other wire follow along the bottom of the trunk to the passenger side tail light. Do not just leave the wires laying in the trunk make sure you zip tie them to something to keep them from rubbing on anything and shorting out. If I recall there was a few things in there that they could be attached to.

I should have taken photos of the whole process but I kinda threw it all in there one afternoon before work. It didnt take me more than 20 minutes to do.

**EDIT** These instructions are for the GTI/Rabbit. Jettas do not need two new wires run, they already have the wires needed.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
so I have to buy two wires (from vw??) and run them to the euro switch??? I have a problem where my parking lights turn on but turn off after a little while. I need help
The two wires just make ends. You cut them in the middle and you need to supply your own two wires to go from the front of the car to the back to make this work. You dont connect them to the switch they go to the CECM.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I finished running the 2 wires the other day. You pretty much have to tear apart the interior of your car including removing the rear bench and drivers side rear backrest. It's a bit of work but worth it for a clean install. I'll find out by the end of tonight or whether ormnot I wired everything correctly. I may add to this DIY with pics and such to further help everyone. If anyone is removing interior pieces and having trouble with it - PM me if you have questions. Some of the pieces are a little tricky.
I didnt have to rip any of my seats out. I did have to lift the lower seat cushon up on the rear seat to get the wires by and up under the plastic other than that i did it all in 20 minutes. Professionally, but then again I also have some experience with auto body and tearing apart interiors.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I grouped the 2 wires with the bundle that runs on the drivers side. That's why I had to rip everything apart. Got a lot of drinking dne in the process.
Ah so you really dug in to it. I wasnt going to go that crazy, but my two wires are well placed in the interior , they follow the bundle mostly till after the rear seat, but they are not attached to it.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Finally getting around to replacing the OEM US tinted tail lights on my R32 with these. My only question is I already have a rear fog enabled and wired up to a Euro switch. Do I need to rewire or do anything with the new tail lights to enable the rear fog or is it just plug and play?

Thanks!
The rear fog on the R should be the same position as the rear fog on the OEM LED units. As long as you purchsed them with it on the same side. No addtional modifcations or coding is needed in that case of the rear fog. You will still need to run the two extra wires from each tail light to the CECM for the turn signals and you will still need to code the car for LED tails, plus disabled cold diag on ALL rear lights or you will have bulb out warnings.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Yea im skeptical about these harnesses too. All they do usually is reconfigure the wires but they dont add that other wire. To properly work everything you need the other two wires to send control command for the turn signals.

When I first got mine i plugged them right in and ran them in passat mode with random bulb out warnings, but they did work. The turn signals flashed and the brake lights lit up as well as had night lighting. I think the only time id get the warnings for bulbs out was when I would turn on the lights at night. The brake and turn signals didnt cause any problems that i remember. Im probably going to go back to that soon because my ambers have been failing slowly and I dont have the time to fix them myself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.