VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Re: OEM LED Installation (rexpencoe)

You mean the trigger wire for the rear fog light, from the Euro switch to the distribution panel under the dash?
The VW part number for the entire wire (yellow, with the correct terminal on each end) is 000 979 009.
Yes, these terminals are quite a lot smaller than the terminals on the rear light clusters...

Modified by Marek K at 2:22 PM 10-19-2009

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
i'm willing to pay someone to make my lights work properly..... :banghead:
I thought that xk1llxy0urselfx was offering to help you...? You need to PM him and figure out how to meet up.

Look, my wife and I own two Jettas (actually a Jetta and a GLI), so I can't help you directly with your GTI. But I've installed LED tail lights on both our cars, successfully, both pretty much on the first try; using the DIY developed by Tim Birney and others way back in 2005. The procedure is very similar, except for running the fourth wire on the Rabbit/GTI. The keys are to have a VCDS/VAG-COM, know how to use it, and follow the re-wiring and coding instructions precisely. No short cuts, no "that doesn't sound important so I'm not going to do it."

As far as I can tell, the best instructions for a Rabbit/GTI were posted by jimb at the beginning of this thread.

If you're looking for help here, you need to provide a lot more information than just "help me!" What, if anything, have you done so far? How have you wired your lights? Do you have a VCDS/VAG-COM? Have you attempted to re-code?

If your using a GTI and you just want the regular stuff the code that was posted somewhere in here, is exactly what you need. Its what I have in mine. When my cable arrives this week I can open mine up and see what it says if nobody posts. Also your in NJ, how far are you from aberdeen? You can always come by and copy my code out of my car and put it in yours it should work!
Careful with this. One thing the LED "pioneers" always stressed starting back in 2005 was that you shouldn't just blindly copy an entire long code from one car to another. A lot of other things may get screwed up.

You should only be changing bytes 09 through 13 of your long code, which stock-wise are 0A 00 00 0F 0A on both Jetta/GLI and Rabbit/GTI. (Remember one byte is each two digits, starting with byte 00 on the left). Bytes 18 and 19 need to be tweaked also, to take care of the cold diagnostics error. Bytes 03 and 04 need to be changed only if you're activating the rear fog light.

The easiest way to do this is by using the Long Code Helper that comes with all current versions of the VCDS/VAG-COM software.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
thread is called oem led
title didnt say for just rabbit etc.

either way i'm wondering if this will work for the jetta as well, meaning the arrangement of the wires
i'd check there but the link for the diy in the thread is dead. its a PDF im assuming but whoever posted it has't reposted like i asked. and the file is dead.
Tim's right; this thread started as a Rabbit/GTI thread... but you're right too; the title is misleading.

I've noticed that the installation and DIY link is dead too. I've got a copy of the PDF.

But if all you need is to double-check the Jetta/GLI wiring, for amber turn signals it should be:

Left:
Pin 1: Brown (Orange) - ground
Pin 2: Gray with Black stripe
Pin 3: Black with White stripe
Pin 4: Black with Red stripe

Right:
Pin 1: Brown (Orange) - ground
Pin 2: Gray with Red stripe
Pin 3: Black with Green stripe
Pib 4: Black with Violet stripe

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
I'm getting a "left reverse light not working" message and the bulb out light on the dash. [...] This happen to anyone else?
Yes. I made the same mistake.

You need to clear all your error codes with VAG-COM once you're done.

Changing the wiring, if you did it prior to re-coding, makes the computer "think" you still have two reverse lights -- and that one of which is burned out. With proper re-coding, the computer now knows better; but the bulb-out error is still stored in memory until you clear it.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
The terminals are numbered 1-4 on the side of the connectors where the wires come in.

For LED tail lights with amber turn signals, here's which wires should be in which terminals:

Driver's Side:
1 - brown (ground)
2 - gray with black stripe
3 - black with white stripe
4 - black with red stripe

Passenger Side:
1 - orange (ground)
2 - gray with red stripe
3 - black with green stripe
4 - black with violet stripe

Remember that besides re-wiring, the car's computer also needs to be re-coded with VCDS. If it's not, the LED tail lights lights won't work right.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
I'm not sure. There were always various issues using wiring harnesses as shortcuts on either the Mk5 sedans or hatchbacks.

You've got the correct coding for Bytes (not bits) 09 through 13. Remember that the farthest-left byte is 00, and you have to count up from there -- so Byte 09 is actually the 10th one over. Yes?

In any case, the guaranteed way to get the lights to work on the Rabbit/GTI the way they were designed, is to run the 4th wire on each side. Pain in the ass with finding the correct connectors, but the worst part is working under the dash.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Oops! Pilotlars praised me too soon.

Byte 09 needs to be 0A, not 00. So Bytes 09 through 13 should be 0A 00 00 0F 00.

I'll bet that will fix the problem. You'll be able to see in the check-boxes what 0A changes, along with the rest of the re-coding.

The only other changes that should be done is Byte 18 needs to be changed by un-checking Bits 1, 3 and 5; and Byte 19 needs to be changed by un-checking Bits 2 and 3. I can't remember offhand what those do, but I think all those changes have to do with disabling cold diagnosis on the LED tail lights. (What each of those total bytes will then look like will depend on other unrelated bits you have checked or in-checked.)

By the way, I'm still a bit skeptical regarding the ECS harness that supposedly allows you to get away with not adding the two 4th wires... I assume that those harnesses do the same thing as splicing a short extra wire at each tail light -- but that hack still resulted in bulb-out warnings...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.