VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Re: (barnstee)

Is the error message mentioned above actually what the poster above me suggests, the bulb-out warning? I imagine that it probably is due to LEDs not having the resistance that tungsten filaments do. If this is so, I recall that when a friend modified my car to UK region and changed a few other things for me, there was more than one bulb-out diagnostic check that could be disabled. Does anyone recall if it is possible to just disable those for taillights, front marker lights, and turn signals separately? If so, I plan to just disable the checks for the places I'll install LEDs. LEDs, after all, very rarely fail. I'd rather not run the additional wires.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Re: (barnstee)

You should sell your R32 lights. I'm sure someone here would buy them. I really don't understand why the US DOT allows red signals as they're often hard to distinguish from brake lights and the design for the Mk5 is really bad (just the outside half of the brake circle flashes).
I am not surprised that you don't have to recode for the amber signals since there's no reason for the pinout to be different if the cars are shipped outside NA with amber signals (
to you, VW, just give us the good stuff everyone else gets!). I am surprised if you are saying that you did not get a bulb-out warning, but since you're asking, and from what I've seen in other threads discussing this, I'm guessing that you are in fact getting that warning?
You could also wire a resistor in the proper place, that is true, but that just seems like a ridiculous hassle to me.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Re: (jimb)

Quote, originally posted by jimb »
If you are in Ireland, the red fog lamp will be on the left side instead of the right side.

Hey Jim, GTG at Schneithorst's tonight, I'm going to show the new car to the club.
In Ireland, the rear fog is on the RIGHT side as England/Ireland/Scotland are RHD countries.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
OK, see you there! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
barnstee, do you know if there is an RHD version of the Hellas w/o left fog? If there is, I could ask Hella if I could get just that part. Doubtful, but worth a query.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Nice. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I like the Hella LEDs on white (which is what I did) but OEM LEDs look good on red (as do the Hellas) and black.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
If we manage to meet up again we could get some good pictures- I've got a tripod, a shutter release cable, and a Micro-nikkor "macro" lens.
I wonder if that 08 update is available in the USA...

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Re: OEM LED Installation (MotherTucker)

MT, I've got the same lights you do and Jim and I installed them successfully -- we just haven't cleared the bulb error yet. We'll either do that or I'll get the 08 update installed, although it's easier for me to do nonessential repair work like that on days when I don't have to work. Either way, the lights work fine as long as you ignore the bulb-out error messages. So you probably have a wiring gotcha somewhere. Good luck!
Jim, good point on the swap. It's worth trying when we get a chance.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Re: OEM LED Installation (RavenGirl)

I don't have that problem. It does sound like there's not enough resistance in the circuit, as a fast blink usually means there's a bulb out somewhere. I don't know if that's the case on MkVs. Did you disable all the bulb-out diagnostics?
She, by the way.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
I put in an inquiry on our local forum since we have someone in there who works at a local dealer. If it turns out that they do have such an update available, I'll have it done, and will report on if it gets rid of the error message. Still, two people reporting that it helps is promising.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
I wonder if it's a 2.0T thing. Thanks for letting us know! I still haven't gotten a reply post on the local forum from the guy who works at the local dealership, so I'll have to figure out which of the forum users it is, and PM him and ask directly.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
I'm having service done Monday (10k) and I will ask them to be sure to install the latest patch. Anyone know if this also kills error messages for other LEDs, like license plate lights and front turn signals?

Modified by Buran at 1:00 PM 5-30-2008

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
I'm not sure what you are talking about. I'm talking about the update that has the effect of removing the error message for LEDs without the extra wires. See the bottom of page 2.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
My dealer wouldn't do the flash even though I explained it would kill the message, because they were wary of the change (come on guys, you went to automotive engineering school and can't figure out that this isn't going to kill anything!?!?) and also "we only do that if you are actually having a problem" ....

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Re: (r32-1163)

Quote, originally posted by r32-1163 »
I even made it plug and play, no wire swapping, just VAGCOM to change the way it works and to disable the bulb out warning.

We're planning to try your code change, and if that fails, then run wires; however, Jim already swapped the pins. (edit: looks like I will need to get a pair of your harnesses, and undo the wire change -- PMed you). Let's cross our fingers that the code change fixes the problem. I should note that I'm using the smoked version of the Hella LED tails, not the VW ones.

Modified by Buran at 11:54 AM 6-5-2008

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
I'd also love to find a red-less piece for the Hella tails, or a spare one for doing the hack. I've had three people "help" by telling me my left backup light is out!

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Re: OEM LED Installation (MotherTucker)

Well, I IMed MotherTucker to ask if he/she got rid of the bulb-out error on the Hella tails (NOT VW OEM) and then found he/she hasn't been on this site since late November of last year. Jim and I tried recently to remove the error, including using the coding posted for 08s, without success.
Has anyone with a late 07 been able to kill this error on the Hellas?

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Re: OEM LED Installation (jimb)

Finally getting around to completing the install (running wires) now that it's a bit cooler. Can't get the wire end to snap into the taillight connector. What's the trick to getting the wire ends to go into the connectors, on each end? I'm used to being able to just push the wire in til it clicks, but looks like the Mk5s are different and there's a retainer clip somewhere that needs to be released first.
Any tips? I quit for the night when it got dark but hopefully tomorrow I can finish.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
It doesn't stay in at all. You have to move the purple piece aside? If so, what's the trick to that? I know jim did when he moved the wires, not just adding wires, but I didn't get a closeup look at him doing it.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Re: OEM LED Installation (jimb)

Huzzah. Thanks to Jim, who compared my wiring job to his and found that I had actually done it right, but the connectors to the ECU pins weren't in all the way (you have to push them in harder than you might think, plus they're square so it's possible to put them in sideways).
No error light makes me very happy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.