VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
261 - 280 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
9,699 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Installed a second set on my .:R, for anyone doing this soon send me a message if you need help.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Wired correctly, coded correctly and everything works.

But... I'm getting a "left reverse light not working" message and the bulb out light on the dash.

This didn't happen until after I moved the J519 C12 to J519 B4 for rear fog for functionality. I triple checked, everything is where is should be.

This happen to anyone else?

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
I'm getting a "left reverse light not working" message and the bulb out light on the dash. [...] This happen to anyone else?
Yes. I made the same mistake.

You need to clear all your error codes with VAG-COM once you're done.

Changing the wiring, if you did it prior to re-coding, makes the computer "think" you still have two reverse lights -- and that one of which is burned out. With proper re-coding, the computer now knows better; but the bulb-out error is still stored in memory until you clear it.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Many thanks, I was going crazy trying to figure it out. I'll clear it when I get home and let you know if it works.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Yes. I made the same mistake.

You need to clear all your error codes with VAG-COM once you're done.

Changing the wiring, if you did it prior to re-coding, makes the computer "think" you still have two reverse lights -- and that one of which is burned out. With proper re-coding, the computer now knows better; but the bulb-out error is still stored in memory until you clear it.
Light is now gone, thanks.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Getting a bulb out message left and right side for the outer rings on the tails. I activate the hazards and cycle through the settings on the switch. Shut the car off, turn it back on and it goes away. Anyone have this issue?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Happens every now and again, without pattern or trigger thus far ny the way. Can't be wiring right... must be a coding issue or voltage perhaps?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Finally getting around to replacing the OEM US tinted tail lights on my R32 with these. My only question is I already have a rear fog enabled and wired up to a Euro switch. Do I need to rewire or do anything with the new tail lights to enable the rear fog or is it just plug and play?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
ECS Tuning's install instructions cover the rear fog only option I'm pretty sure. I've never done rear fog only so off the top of my head I can't give you a sure answer. Like I said though - use the ECS instructions and you should be good. If you want amber turn signals and full functionality however, refer to the original post in this thread. It covers everything you need to know. If you run into any trouble I'll keep an eye on the thread. I've done these lights a few times.
Sent from my RM-893_nam_att_206 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Finally getting around to replacing the OEM US tinted tail lights on my R32 with these. My only question is I already have a rear fog enabled and wired up to a Euro switch. Do I need to rewire or do anything with the new tail lights to enable the rear fog or is it just plug and play?

Thanks!
The rear fog on the R should be the same position as the rear fog on the OEM LED units. As long as you purchsed them with it on the same side. No addtional modifcations or coding is needed in that case of the rear fog. You will still need to run the two extra wires from each tail light to the CECM for the turn signals and you will still need to code the car for LED tails, plus disabled cold diag on ALL rear lights or you will have bulb out warnings.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Helpppp!

my right tail light brake is amber on my GLI can someone send me a picture of how the pins are supposed to look on both sides i bough my tail lights used and the guy messed with the pins:banghead:

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
The terminals are numbered 1-4 on the side of the connectors where the wires come in.

For LED tail lights with amber turn signals, here's which wires should be in which terminals:

Driver's Side:
1 - brown (ground)
2 - gray with black stripe
3 - black with white stripe
4 - black with red stripe

Passenger Side:
1 - orange (ground)
2 - gray with red stripe
3 - black with green stripe
4 - black with violet stripe

Remember that besides re-wiring, the car's computer also needs to be re-coded with VCDS. If it's not, the LED tail lights lights won't work right.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I also posted in the Golf V forum with no luck so trying others with hope of getting a response.

I just installed the Valeo LED tails in my 2007 GTI. I used the ECS adapters (did not run 4th wire) and did not run the rear fog wire. I have an OEM Euro switch installed.

I used the following coding in Central Electronics Module long coding, bits 9 through 13:

00 00 00 0F 00

The lights work fine with amber turns, brake light function and no BOW on the dash.

However when I turn the "headlight" switch to the on position the rear lights do not light up. But the brake and turn signals work fine. Basically I can't drive at night.

Anyone have any idea how to resolve this?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
I'm not sure. There were always various issues using wiring harnesses as shortcuts on either the Mk5 sedans or hatchbacks.

You've got the correct coding for Bytes (not bits) 09 through 13. Remember that the farthest-left byte is 00, and you have to count up from there -- so Byte 09 is actually the 10th one over. Yes?

In any case, the guaranteed way to get the lights to work on the Rabbit/GTI the way they were designed, is to run the 4th wire on each side. Pain in the ass with finding the correct connectors, but the worst part is working under the dash.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'm not sure. There were always various issues using wiring harnesses as shortcuts on either the Mk5 sedans or hatchbacks.

You've got the correct coding for Bytes (not bits) 09 through 13. Remember that the farthest-left byte is 00, and you have to count up from there -- so Byte 09 is actually the 10th one over. Yes?

In any case, the guaranteed way to get the lights to work on the Rabbit/GTI the way they were designed, is to run the 4th wire on each side. Pain in the ass with finding the correct connectors, but the worst part is working under the dash.
yes running the 2 wires did take an hour or so and I googled the J519 unit and got a screen grab so I could tell which is the correct connector to plug into since it's difficult to see under the dash. As long as you've got the correct connectors to plug into the harness it's not that difficult.

Marek has great advice and write-ups on here about redoing the lights.

261 - 280 of 285 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.