VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Re: (linedpaper)

Quote, originally posted by linedpaper »
yes, it's the same dark red you get in the r32 tails.

I just wish I had a vag com now....

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Re: (timmyd)

they will work without the vag-com, just not the fog and the blink amber, and you'll have a bulb out message, but just find someone in the locater thread and wire them up when you have vag-com access...sometimes local shops will have one, but you gotta do it after the wire job otherwise they won't work right.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Does anyone know if it's possible to do the install without having to run any additional wires? It won't blink amber without the wires right? but will the blinkers still work?
Does anyone know of a really good DIY? The ones I've seen are "ok" but doesn't explain everything to a degree that I would be 100% confident doing the install. I really don't want to F*ck up on my Brand New R32!
I saw someone selling ECS Tuning Harnesses for MKV Jetta Led installs, I was thinking to buy these and switch the pinouts to match what's required for the Golf/GTI/R32 LEDs. This way if I need to change back the tails, it's much more of a plug and play job.
I got a VAG-COM to USB cable off ebay for cheap. Still worried about changing stuff on my New Car tho.
I'm a Honda guy, only used to work on Acuras/Hondas, this is the first time I bought a European car.
Picked up the oem Ipod kit, monster mats and trunk mat from 1stvwparts.com gonna put those in this weekend.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Re: (r32-1163)

Quote, originally posted by r32-1163 »
Does anyone know if it's possible to do the install without having to run any additional wires? It won't blink amber without the wires right? but will the blinkers still work?
Does anyone know of a really good DIY? The ones I've seen are "ok" but doesn't explain everything to a degree that I would be 100% confident doing the install. I really don't want to F*ck up on my Brand New R32!
I saw someone selling ECS Tuning Harnesses for MKV Jetta Led installs, I was thinking to buy these and switch the pinouts to match what's required for the Golf/GTI/R32 LEDs. This way if I need to change back the tails, it's much more of a plug and play job.
I got a VAG-COM to USB cable off ebay for cheap. Still worried about changing stuff on my New Car tho.
I'm a Honda guy, only used to work on Acuras/Hondas, this is the first time I bought a European car.
Picked up the oem Ipod kit, monster mats and trunk mat from 1stvwparts.com gonna put those in this weekend.

Some people have to add wires, some do not. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason for this. I would post a question in the R32 forum and see if anybody has installed LED tails and ask if they had to add wires.
Regardless, you are still going to have to move wires in the tail light connectors and do the VAG-Com changes. This really isn't that hard to do, but I understand that you are new to VW's.
What type of VAG-Com cable did you buy on EBay? Because the old VAG-Com cables will not work on your car.
If you want, I will install your taillights for you and make the appropriate VAG-Com changes; however, it will cost you two round trip tickets from St. Louis to Honolulu.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Re: (jimb)

If you don't add the wires everything will work, but you will most likely have a bulb out message on the dash. It really isn't very difficult at all. Just swap the positions of the wires in the back and then run two new wires to the front. The Jetta DIY (PDF) has actual pictures of the ECU showing which terminals are A, B, C, etc. and the corner pins are numbered on the terminal itself, so if you can count to 10 you should be able to handle it. The vag com is pretty simple as well, just follow the instructions here, you don't really need anything else.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts

yeah there was a post by another dude in the R32 forums, he said he had to add wires, not sure if it was because of the bulb-out warning, but he mentioned for it to blink Amber. There's a lot more Traffic here in the MKV Golf and Jetta forums than the R32 one for DIY stuff.
The VAG-Com Cable I got off ebay was for 409.11 version 16pin, I noticed there was a 7 pin one too, this is VAG-COM to USB, I'm hoping this one will work in my car.
I used to do some minor car tuning using a chipped OBD1 ECU and Crome software on my PC for my Acura/Honda. Never attempted to work on VW or euro cars.
Yeah I was thinking to do the pin swapping on the ECS Tuning Harnesses, I'm thinking the connectors are the same as the Golf/GTI/R32
here's a pic:

Yeah, def. if you're coming down to Honolulu, let me know, we can meetup or something. Sure Tickets on me if you're bringing me a nice gift for the R32 heehee...

Modified by r32-1163 at 4:00 PM 10-4-2007

·
Registered
2,004 Posts

same as the Golf/GTI/R32
here's a pic:

Modified by r32-1163 at 4:00 PM 10-4-2007

where did you find these? I can't seem to find them on ECS. It would be nice to install these lights without hacking the wiring harness

·
Registered
2,004 Posts

do a search for harness it comes up in the Jetta GLI category, be warned tho, they are expensive 89 bucks
well worth the cost of messing up my stock wiring if you ask me tho.

I hear that, but I have seen what 5 years and a hacked wireing harness can do to a volkswagen. I would buy those if I bought the LEDs just to keep my harness 100% untouched.
I just need to find a local vag com and I will be set

·
Registered
2,721 Posts

Quote, originally posted by timmyd »

I hear that, but I have seen what 5 years and a hacked wireing harness can do to a volkswagen. I would buy those if I bought the LEDs just to keep my harness 100% untouched.
I just need to find a local vag com and I will be set

I purchased my own VAG-COM, although it is not cheap, I still think it is worth, coz you can also read the fault codes besides changing the coding.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Re: (beanie338)

Quote, originally posted by beanie338 »

:

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
400 Posts

Guys I never saw any follow ups indicating whether or not these harnesses form ECS Tuning actually could be used to make the pin conversions to install the OEM (or other) LED Taillights on the 08 R32 or not. Did they work? Did you still have to run extra wires back to the LED lights from the Euro switch in order to get them to work properly or did using these harnesses allow you to make the pin conversions without adding an extra wire on each side. I could not figure out from the postings if these harnesses were intended to make the pin conversions AND eliminate the need to run a fourth wire in order to prevent an error message that could not be cleared or if these were used WITH a fourth wire to make the pin conversions AND keep from instigating an error message that could not be cleared.

Sorry for the rambling questions, Obviously these rear taillight conversions are more complicated than they look. Even asking a question about them gets complicated.
Anyway I hate the idea of hacking into a harness and will do just about anything to make this job easier requiring less invasiveness with regard to the existing wiring.
Any additional info from folks that have done this job and used these harnesses on the R32 would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Re: (nugj)

Quote, originally posted by nugj »
Guys I never saw any follow ups indicating whether or not these harnesses form ECS Tuning actually could be used to make the pin conversions to install the OEM (or other) LED Taillights on the 08 R32 or not. Did they work? Did you still have to run extra wires back to the LED lights from the Euro switch in order to get them to work properly or did using these harnesses allow you to make the pin conversions without adding an extra wire on each side. I could not figure out from the postings if these harnesses were intended to make the pin conversions AND eliminate the need to run a fourth wire in order to prevent an error message that could not be cleared or if these were used WITH a fourth wire to make the pin conversions AND keep from instigating an error message that could not be cleared.

Sorry for the rambling questions, Obviously these rear taillight conversions are more complicated than they look. Even asking a question about them gets complicated.
Anyway I hate the idea of hacking into a harness and will do just about anything to make this job easier requiring less invasiveness with regard to the existing wiring.
Any additional info from folks that have done this job and used these harnesses on the R32 would be much appreciated.

You are correct in that installing European spec. taillights on a U.S. spec. car is not a straight forward proposition. You need to be able to perform electrical work, mechanical work, and you need to have access to a VAG-Com. These requirements make the installation difficult for almost everyone.
First, I have no idea about whether the ECS harnesses work or not on an R32 or GTI. I do know that they work on the Jetta because it already has 4 wires running to each light. Having a harness that changes pin configuration is a no brainer and allows somebody to install European LED's without having to move wires.
From what I've read on the R32 forum, the taillights are wired exactly like those on the GTI. This means that you have three wires running to each taillight. This is fine for the U.S. spec. lights, but you still need to get a signal to three pins (4th is common) on the European spec. LED lights. I did try to do this by splitting one of the wires and using it on pins 2 and 3, but I could not get rid of the bulb out error.
So even if a pre-fabricated harness splits the signal, you won't be able to get rid of the bulb out error. It would be a better solution for a prefabricated harness to include a pigtail to be connected to the 4th wire you have to run to each light. Even if that was done, one has to wonder if that would actually make the installation any easier.
I would hardly describe adding a 4th wire as "hacking". You use new VW pins that are designed to be inserted into the connectors and then run a wire from the front to the back. I realize this is over-simplifying the work, but it is also an exaggeration to say you are hacking the wiring harness. In 5 years, I will let all of you know how the LED's on my GTI are doing. I'm willing to bet that my wiring modifications will be fine, but that there will be plenty of other gremlins driving me crazy.

·
Registered
400 Posts

Thanks jimb.
Running a fourth wire is no problem in my case. I thought there was the possibility that the changes would require running the forth wire and hacking the existing harness and was trying to pose the question in a way that might inform me if the harness from ESC actually eliminated the need to cut into the harness.
However if it is just running the fourth wire I am much more comfortable with that even though running wires full length front to back is a pain. At least you are not running the risk of causing some irreparable damage. It is just an extra wire. I have already ordered the extra wiring to do the job. Thanks again for responding.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Re: OEM LED Installation (jimb)

Quote, originally posted by jimb »

This is what I started with, but since I wanted both rings to light up as parking and brake lights I added a wire. Even when I had my car wired like yours, I still had a bulb-out error. I am curious as to what your long coding for bytes 9 throuh 13 is. Thanks.

Please clarify this. If I don't run any additional wires and leave the ground wire in place but move the other two wires, I will get the center lights as parking/brake, the outer lights as parking/amber turnsignal? The extra wires are only needed if I want to have both the inner and outer circles light up for brake? Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: OEM LED Installation (Pelican18TQA4)

I have a US spec '07 GTI, and installed the Hella LEDs from OEMPl.us. I rewired the connectors on the lamps as specified, and used a vag-com to set the bytes properly, and got it all working.... with the exception of the side light bulb out errors. I added the 2 wires as instructed at the beginning of this thread, and it did not fix it. I was hopefull for a while that it would fix it, but it didn't.
Just wanted to chime in with this. I'll keep watching here, hope to get a fix for it at some point.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Re: OEM LED Installation (MotherTucker)

Quote, originally posted by MotherTucker »

I have a US spec '07 GTI, and installed the Hella LEDs from OEMPl.us. I rewired the connectors on the lamps as specified, and used a vag-com to set the bytes properly, and got it all working.... with the exception of the side light bulb out errors. I added the 2 wires as instructed at the beginning of this thread, and it did not fix it. I was hopefull for a while that it would fix it, but it didn't.
Just wanted to chime in with this. I'll keep watching here, hope to get a fix for it at some point.

By adding wires, did you run a wire from the CEM to each tail light or did you splice a wire to send the same signal to pins 2 and 3? Next, what is your long coding, and did you disable the cold bulb diagnostics? Let me know, and I'll try to help you.

41 - 60 of 285 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.