VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
61 - 80 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Re: OEM LED Installation (Pelican18TQA4)

Quote, originally posted by Pelican18TQA4 »

Please clarify this. If I don't run any additional wires and leave the ground wire in place but move the other two wires, I will get the center lights as parking/brake, the outer lights as parking/amber turnsignal? The extra wires are only needed if I want to have both the inner and outer circles light up for brake? Thanks.

If you do not send a signal to the three pins and leave the ground in place, the center will function as the brake and parking light. The outer ring will serve only as a turn signal. This is assuming that you made the required VAG-Com changes. You will most likely have multiple bulb out error messages in your MFD, but those can be ignored.
I do need to reword my original post. When I spliced the wires to send the same signal to pins 2 and 3, the inner and outer circles functioned as parking and brake lights. Once I added the 4th wire from the CEM to each tail light, the center ring functions as a parking light and brake light. The outer ring functions as a parking light and a turn signal, but not a brake light.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: OEM LED Installation (jimb)

Quote, originally posted by jimb »

By adding wires, did you run a wire from the CEM to each tail light or did you splice a wire to send the same signal to pins 2 and 3? Next, what is your long coding, and did you disable the cold bulb diagnostics? Let me know, and I'll try to help you.

I ran 2 new wires from the CEM as instructed at the beginning of this thread. Here's my setup:
Driver's side lamp wiring:
Brn
New wire
Blk/Red
Blk/Wht
Passenger's side lamp wiring:
Brn
New wire
Purple
Blk/Grn
Cent. Elec. Module 9 long encoding:
07 8F 8F 27 00 04 15 00 00 0A 00 00 0F 00 00 00 00 08 55 03 5C 00 00
I do have the euro rear fog light option configured and working. The lights work 100% properly, but are throwing the Rear Side Light Bulb Out errors, which comes on when I turn on the parking lights after clearing the error codes. Yes, I attempted to disable all cold diagnostics that have anything to do with the rear lights.
Thank mucho for your help!
mt

Modified by MotherTucker at 8:41 AM 11-11-2007

Modified by MotherTucker at 8:43 AM 11-11-2007

·
Registered
5,658 Posts

Once I added the 4th wire from the CEM to each tail light, the center ring functions as a parking light and brake light. The outer ring functions as a parking light and a turn signal, but not a brake light.

This is how the Passat tails operate so I assume the Jetta/Golf LED tails are supposed to operate the same.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts

Got the LED tails yesterday but the wires won't be here for a few days. Is it possible to install these without doing any rewiring at the moment? I know that they won't function completely normal and I will get bulb out errors, but will they at least function (i.e. parking/brake/turn) if I install without doing any rewiring for the time being?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·

Got the LED tails yesterday but the wires won't be here for a few days. Is it possible to install these without doing any rewiring at the moment? I know that they won't function completely normal and I will get bulb out errors, but will they at least function (i.e. parking/brake/turn) if I install without doing any rewiring for the time being?

I too was impatient and installed my tail lights before I received the wires. If you move the wires in the tail light connectors and make the VAG-Com changes, all of your lights will work except that the outer ring will not light up red when the parking lights or head lights are turned on. You will also have errors, but once you run the wires from the CEM to each of the tail lights, the errors will disappear.

Modified by jimb at 8:05 PM 11-14-2007

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Re: OEM LED Installation (Eurofan4eva)

Quote, originally posted by Eurofan4eva »
Has anyone put in the OEM LED tails in a GTI/R32 and have them work w/o throwing a code? TIA

I have been having the bulb-out warning indicator since I got my LED tails intalled. Recently when I went to the dealer in response to the headlamp's recall, the service dudes told me that they gonna update the engine control software to the 08 version for me as part of the upcoming recall campiagn. Once they did it, the bulb out warning indicator disappeared permanently.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts

Installed the OEM LED tails today and I'm lovin' them! jimb's DIY is spot on and helped tremendously. Total time was about 1 hour including rewiring and VAG-COM work. I still have to install the additional two wires; UPS should deliver them tomorrow.

·
Registered
161 Posts

Could you let us know how it all goes? I still need to run the additional two wires as well for my Hella LEDs. I'm going to see if my local VW parts department has the wires and i can just pick them up.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Re: OEM LED Installation (MotherTucker)

Quote, originally posted by MotherTucker »

I ran 2 new wires from the CEM as instructed at the beginning of this thread. Here's my setup:
Driver's side lamp wiring:
Brn
New wire
Blk/Red
Blk/Wht
Passenger's side lamp wiring:
Brn
New wire
Purple
Blk/Grn
Cent. Elec. Module 9 long encoding:
07 8F 8F 27 00 04 15 00 00 0A 00 00 0F 00 00 00 00 08 55 03 5C 00 00
I do have the euro rear fog light option configured and working. The lights work 100% properly, but are throwing the Rear Side Light Bulb Out errors, which comes on when I turn on the parking lights after clearing the error codes. Yes, I attempted to disable all cold diagnostics that have anything to do with the rear lights.
Thank mucho for your help!
mt

The side bulb-out errors I had were related to the parking lights (red lights in outer ring). When you turn on your headlights, do the outer rings light up red?
If not, you may have run the wires to the wrong pins on the CEM. The pins are not individually labeled, but rather there is a 7 and 12 on the corners above the top row. You then have to count over to pin 10 on connector C and pin 9 on connector B. You may also have a loose connection between the CEM and the tail lights.
Other than that, your coding looks fine.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·

Installed the OEM LED tails today and I'm lovin' them! jimb's DIY is spot on and helped tremendously. Total time was about 1 hour including rewiring and VAG-COM work. I still have to install the additional two wires; UPS should deliver them tomorrow.

You are very welcome. I wish I could take decent close-up photos with my digital camera, because that would make my instructions easier to understand.

·
Registered
31 Posts

The side bulb-out errors I had were related to the parking lights (red lights in outer ring). When you turn on your headlights, do the outer rings light up red?
If not, you may have run the wires to the wrong pins on the CEM. The pins are not individually labeled, but rather there is a 7 and 12 on the corners above the top row. You then have to count over to pin 10 on connector C and pin 9 on connector B. You may also have a loose connection between the CEM and the tail lights.
Other than that, your coding looks fine.

jimb -
Thank you for going to the effort of helping me! I have installed the Hella rear lights, not OEM. There are no rings (see picture on page 2 of this thread). The parking lights are rectangular areas, next to the amber turn indicator areas. They do light up properly when I turn on the parking lights. I think it is a good idea to check my wiring, and I'll do that, but I doubt I got both of them wrong.
However, a few days ago there was a report here in this thread that upgrading the system control software to version 08 solved this problem for someone. That sounds like a real fix to me, so I plan on doing that as soon as convenient.
cheers,
mt

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Re: (Buran)

Quote, originally posted by Buran »
If we manage to meet up again we could get some good pictures- I've got a tripod, a shutter release cable, and a Micro-nikkor "macro" lens.
I wonder if that 08 update is available in the USA...

I wouldn't mind setting something up for a Saturday. I also had another really simple idea, we could take one of your rear lights and just plug it into my connector and see if I get a bulb out error. If not, we'll know that adding the wire clears the error for the Hella lights as well. If I get an error, it's time to start over...

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Re: OEM LED Installation (MotherTucker)

MT, I've got the same lights you do and Jim and I installed them successfully -- we just haven't cleared the bulb error yet. We'll either do that or I'll get the 08 update installed, although it's easier for me to do nonessential repair work like that on days when I don't have to work. Either way, the lights work fine as long as you ignore the bulb-out error messages. So you probably have a wiring gotcha somewhere. Good luck!
Jim, good point on the swap. It's worth trying when we get a chance.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Re: OEM LED Installation (sricca)

Wires came today so I'll be hooking up the two new wires this weekend some time. Everything works right now save for the outer ring parking light function. I do get two bulb errors, one for rear left outside light, one for rear right outside light. From what I've read, these should go away once I put the two new wires into the CECM.

61 - 80 of 285 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.