VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I promised that once I got my OEM Navi install done, I would post a DIY on it. To give credit where credit is due, 4string's iPod adaptor install pretty much gets you where you need to go with switching in a Navi unit.
I'd like to make this clear about the OEM Navigation system for people interested in doing this install:
• I had the Pkg2 6-disc CD/MP3 changer with XM.
• The swap is entirely plug-and-play from my old HU to the Navi HU. I have seen mixed messages on the 'Tex about having to re-wire, or Vag-Comming. Not so. This is one of the simplest installs I've done.
• The only extra part is to plug in a universal magnetic GPS antenna.
• UPDATE: This navigation unit will play CDs if you eject the navigation disc. Nice to have in a pinch if you don't have a separate CD changer or iPod adapter installed. Not sure if it will play mp3 discs though.
• Tools you need: t-20 torx screwdriver and a trim removal tool/bone.

UPDATE: If you are wondering where I sourced this nav unit from, how much it cost me, etc. etc. etc., it came from Steve Z1, and he has posted a response below. Please touch base with him. Thanks again Steve!!!!!
Pictures thanks to http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2480895
When removing any dash components be extremely careful. The plastic pieces are fragile.
1. Pry out this trim piece around the air vent control (fig 1).
fig 1.

2. Use your trim removal tool to pry out the grille for the air vent (fig 2).
fig 2.

3. Unplug this connector from the vent grille you just took off (it is for the Climatronic temp sensor) (fig 3).
fig 3.

4. Once the grille is removed there is a torx screw that needs to be removed from inside the vent assembly (fig 4).
fig 4.

5. Gently pull the vent assembly out of the dash opening (fig 5).
fig 5.

6. Remove the 2 torx screws shown here (fig 6).
fig 6.

7. Pull upwards to make the vents/trim unlock from the radio trim bezel (fig 7).
You do not have to unplug the two electrical harnesses this vent piece is attached to (one is for the hazard switch, the other is for the airbag light). I just set the whole piece aside on the drivers side cowl. Unplugging the air bag switch with the key in the ignition will create an airbag fault code.
fig 7.

8. On each side of the radio trim bezel remove the torx screws (fig 8).
fig 8.

9. Using your bone, GENTLY pry the radio trim bezel away from the dash working from one end to the other (fig 9).
fig 9.

10. Once the radio trim bezel is removed there are 4 torx screws that retain the radio to the dash, remove them (fig 10).
fig 10.

11. Now you can pull the radio out of the dash (fig 11).
fig 11.

12. There are 3 connectors that need to be removed from the back of the radio. One mutiplug for the power/speakers/SAT/CD and two antenna connectors (fig 12).
fig 12.

13. Once the connectors from step 12 are unplugged, slide out your old HU. Take the Navi unit and plug in the magnetic GPS antenna in the blue plug behind the Nav HU. Take the GPS antenna and guide it on to a piece of sheetmetal behind and to the right of where the HU will slide in to. I just did this by touch, but I found a nice solid piece of sheetmetal in the general area behind the glove box. Once magnetically attached, I moved it a bit to secure it in a good position on the sheetmetal.
14. The extra wiring (there was about 6-7 ft of wire in the one I had, looped and twist-tied into a 3-4 inch circle) between the GPS antenna and where it connects to the navigation unit can be placed in the recess below where the navigation unit will slide into, behind where the Climate controls is currently situated—a perfect little space for all this extra wire.
15. Plug the multiplug and antenna connectors in the Nav unit where they were located in the old head unit (everything is color-coded and there's no way to plug them elsewhere).
16. Go backwards in this DIY to restore the trim pieces.
17. With everything installed, fire up the car, enter the 4-digit radio code to match the Navigation unit to the car.
18. If in a garage, drive around some to verfiy that the reception of the GPS antenna is okay, and to let the Nav unit calibrate itself to its new location (I was in a shop when I did the install, so when it was first on it was saying I was in Boston).
19. Enjoy your OEM nav, working with your MFD, steering controls, and all!
20. Get on the 'Tex Classifieds, and sell off your old HU! Either that, or retrofit the old head unit on to your car bed.

Listening to radio:

iPod integration:

Sat Radio (Sirius):

Route calculation:

Map display:

MFD:

Durrty cam-phone video of it working:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2lif9g8wDI

Modified by WaHooligan82 at 1:23 AM 4-5-2007

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: OEM Navigation Install DIY (user name unknown)

Quote, originally posted by user name unknown »
nice writeup!
Questions...
Other than the OEM Nav headunit and the GPS antenna, what else was needed for this install?
Is the GPS antenna that you used an OEM antenna?

Only other things you need beside the GPS antenna is a T-20 torx scredriver, a trim removal tool aka 'bone,' and opposable thumbs. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
You can use any universal GPS antenna. I prefer using one that sticks magnetically, and of course one that doesn't need to be mounted with a clear view of the sky as you are sticking it on to a piece of sheet metal within the dash.
It did NOT use an OEM GPS antenna. In MkV autos that already have navigation, the GPS antenna is bundled within the shark fin antenna (so the shark fin has both the SAT antenna and GPS antenna in it).

·
Registered
203 Posts
Re: OEM Navigation Install DIY (WaHooligan82)

Wow, that seems much easier than I would have expected. A few questions:
1. Just to clarify, you didn't have to do anything to integrate the instrument cluster display with the nav?
2. Your new HU picked up and properly displayed your XM without any setup, right?
3. Where did you source your nav HU?
--Mark

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Re: OEM Navigation Install DIY (WaHooligan82)

Wow, nice job! Didn't think it would be that easy! Do you have part numbers and prices of the items? And maybe where you got them too? Also, I'm guessing the sat radio works with that HU, right? And, how do you load NAV maps?
Again, nice job!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (gniknave)

Quote, originally posted by gniknave »
Excellent writeup! Question.... Is it for any reason necessary to have a package #2, or is having a Package #1 or Package 0 just fine?

I would like to say it all works fine, I just said that I had a Pkg2 head unit so peeps know what I was switching out of. But if you look at the different wiring diagrams of the different MkV head units, all of them match up with each other:
http://www.meinwirt.com/webser...udio/

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (maloosheck)

Quote, originally posted by maloosheck »
will this nav work in NA:
http://cgi.ebay.de/VW-Navigati...wItem

I am not entirely sure. This one is CD based, and I am not sure if just putting in US CDs will get this nav to calculate routes in the US/CAN. I have read some known issues with getting a Euro-spec DVD Nav unit to work in the US/CAN—just putting in a US/CAN DVD doesn't work.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Re: (WaHooligan82)

intreresting....nice write up....i didn't read through all the thread, but does it automatically display the rotating compass and driving directions in the MFD too now?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: OEM Navigation Install DIY (mcparrella)

Quote, originally posted by mcparrella »
Wow, that seems much easier than I would have expected.

Yes, I was surprised too at the lack of difficulty. That same day I actually hooked the VW iPod adaptor to the Nav unit, so I have navigation, AM/FM radio, SAT radio, and iPod integration via the 'CD' button.
A few questions:
1. Just to clarify, you didn't have to do anything to integrate the instrument cluster display with the nav?

Nothing special. Once you fire up the car and turn on the navigation unit, it will ask for the radio code. Once the nav unit and car are matched up, drive around in a circle to get the GPS antenna to orient itself. Press the menu button on the steering wheel until you see a new feature pop up on the MFD: Navigation (see pic above)!

2. Your new HU picked up and properly displayed your XM without any setup, right?

Indeed it did. The only mental adjustment you need to make is the navigation unit uses the 'BAND' button to scroll between FMs 1/2, AMs 1/2, and SATs (XM or Sirius) 1/2.

3. Where did you source your nav HU?

Purchased from a 'Tex user who sources them. PM me for his email, because I never get his 'Tex name right. He was great to deal with, answers all your questions, ships the unit with enough packing material to be thrown off a building unscathed.

Modified by WaHooligan82 at 4:57 PM 3-11-2007

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: OEM Navigation Install DIY (Pooz)

Quote, originally posted by Pooz »
Wow, nice job! Didn't think it would be that easy! Do you have part numbers and prices of the items? And maybe where you got them too? Also, I'm guessing the sat radio works with that HU, right? And, how do you load NAV maps?

For part numbers, you can refer to the New User FAQ/DIY link for the MkV Forum. I don't know about price, I've seen varying quotes from dealers. The quote Lindsay VW gave me was $2800 (!!). I paid a little over $1000 for mine.
See my previous response above for who I got my Nav unit from.
As I said in the write-up, everything worked right out of the box as soon as I pulled out of the shop and into open air—radio, SAT, everything.
The MkV OEM Navigation system is DVD based, so that slot you see in the head unit contains the Map DVD from Navteq (latest version is 4B—$200 from Navteq's website).
I also installed the OEM VW iPod adaptor that night, and so I have iPod integration via that adaptor and the iPod resides in my glove box away from prying eyes when interfacing with the head unit. I press 'CD' and from there I control my iPod via the radio controls. The first 5 playlists on your iPod are the first five 'CDs' on the display, with CD 6 being your entire iPod library. I created Smart playlists via iTunes to control what the first five playlists would be:
1. Songs that have been in heavy rotation for me lately.
2. Rap/R&B songs that have a high rating.
3. Rock/Alternative/Country songs that have a high rating.
4. Pop/Electronic songs that have a high rating.
5. All songs rated five stars.
You can either do that or purchase the 6-disc CD changer from VW. That changer lives in the center armrest if you go that route.

Modified by WaHooligan82 at 4:59 PM 3-11-2007

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Good job..... (cb1111)

Quote, originally posted by cb1111 »
...and nice write up. I wonder if the BT install is just as easy?....

I've skimmed the BT install, seems pretty simple. I'm all about coming to help you with it BTW, just let me know when!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (MP413Racer)

Quote, originally posted by MP413Racer »
intreresting....nice write up....i didn't read through all the thread, but does it automatically display the rotating compass and driving directions in the MFD too now?

Indeed.

·
Registered
80 Caddy, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
25,267 Posts

Wow, looks great. Nice write up too.
Isn't it a bad idea to not disconnect the battery when doing that??

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (BigSkyGTI)

Quote, originally posted by BigSkyGTI »
Wow, looks great. Nice write up too.
Isn't it a bad idea to not disconnect the battery when doing that??

Seemed fine to me. I did the work at my brother's shop, and he's been a mechanic for over 20 years now. If I was doing something stupid/dangerous, I'm sure he would have told me so.
Unless he's secretly trying to get me to kill myself.....

·
Registered
80 Caddy, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
25,267 Posts

Also wondering how much the little pry stick is??? Available at the dealer?? Thats awesome. Beats my "screwdriver wrapped in fabric" to hell.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (BigSkyGTI)

Quote, originally posted by BigSkyGTI »
Also wondering how much the little pry stick is??? Available at the dealer?? Thats awesome. Beats my "screwdriver wrapped in fabric" to hell.

I believe you can get it at the dealer. Anything from them though will be overpriced ($30-$50). I've seen them online for as little as $9. Google 'trim removal tool.'
I got mine for a big fat goose egg. It's nice to have a mechanic for a brother. He gave me his extra one. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.