VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I took apart a spare OEM proportioning valves as a trial.
In the past I have found these get filled with gunk and crud, so disassembly, contact cleaner and re-assembly does help.
Anyhow here's what it looks like:

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Re: OEM proportioning valve (dalba4)

Interesting, I've never seen one apart before...

I wonder if there will be any improvement on pedal feel when you are done...

Also, would anyone care to comment on whether you should remove these if you have the 16V proportioning valves on the car too? I don't know the part pictured above becomes redundant, or if it is needed too.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Can't believe this doesn't deserve comment.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts

Thank you for the pix and info!
I will def be rebuilding my prop valve now since you posted some pix and info!

·
Registered
2,829 Posts

Quote, originally posted by dalba4 »
Can't believe this doesn't deserve comment.

If you were sitting next to me, I'd definitely pat you on the back.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
how it feel? i have replaced every thing but brake lines and cleaning that valve....and i still have the same ****ty brake pedal....imm excited for updates

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (vdubbugman53)

Still on the todo.
I'm telling you it's this stupid prop valve, if I can figure out the hyd seals, or if the guy who sent me an IM can figure that out we'd be in business for a full kit.
The rebuild kit would be just seals, I'd leave the bores on this alone. There are three o ring seals that seal the nuts at the end, those are easy and have little affect on the system except to keep fluid in.
The hydraulic seals that go around the little red pistons will have worn on the OD so direct measurement wouldn't provide appropriate part.
Gunna check Mcmasters and see if there any little hyd seals for the pistons.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Re: (rabfan)

This is great! I have the same issue with my '76, I just don't like how the pedal goes to the floor. Thanks for the post and will be checking this one often... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
688 Posts
Re: OEM proportioning valve (crazyreturns)

i'm having the same trouble on my mk 2 jetta... i really hope this fixes your problem because it should fix mine too!
thanks for the hard work
weener0000

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bump updated photo links.

Had to take the proportioning valve apart on the car to finish a brake bleed.

Couldn't find these photos for a little while, so updated the links.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Thanks for the pics.

On the o-ring issue, make replacements are brake fluid compatable rubber, usually EPDM is used. Nitrile are Viton are no-no's.

If re-using the rubber parts, don't use regular solvents to clean them or the rubber will be damaged. Alcohol or brake fluid would be ok.

I am curious if there are other numbers are stamped on the housing, besides the part number.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Worst case run the cabby residual valves. look same as 16V ****rocco, different spring inside.

The first time I ran into this was with an RX-7 GSL-SE. couldn't get the rear to bleed.

My dad had a budy who had been wrenching on bikes for like 30 years. anyhow he says yank the OE proportioning valve off, let's take it apart and clean it.

I didn't know how but this guy did, learned some good technique and to not be scared on hydraulic crap.

anyhow, that came in handy again with the truck yesterday, one side was fine, the other wouldn't bleed or power bleed. cracked that offending side open, cleaned, re-assembled. finished bleeding.

I never did look into getting new o-rings, but unless they're cut they shouldn't pose a problem. hell used one prolly work fine as well.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts