VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do and of you know if VW uses more than one brand name, I have called around and have gotten different answers from all parties.
1. all the local dealers sub- the winshield work out and none gave the name of the one I originally had.
2. I had it replaced and they put sekurit on which is not the same as what was removed, but the same stuff was on two A3's and a audi TT that was parked at my office.
I asked for oem cause if didnt want any cheap stuff put on the car that would cause later problems; my insurance co paid so I was not able to get the specifics of the repair, price, brands and what shop follows vw specs.
Since i dont know if my sample vehicles had their windsheilds replaced, can any of you tell me if any of my concearns matter?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: OEM windsheilds (vwfus][on)

Thnx, but are you saying that it is THE oem, or one of the oem brands? Because I bought my car new and the oem was crimnx.

[Modified by coolwater00, 1:05 AM 4-11-2002]

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Re: OEM windsheilds (coolwater00)

It is one of the OEMs. Golfs and Jettas are made in many places. Glass is expensive and difficult to transport long distances, so there is at least one OEM near each factory. Thus more than one name on the glass. As I recall Sekurit is the German OEM, CRMNX is likely the one for Argentina or Mexico.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts

SEKURIT/Saint Gobain. The windshield in my '00 Jetta was replaced the day I picked up the car. The dealer dropped something on it.

·
Registered
20,077 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]
I asked for oem cause if didnt want any cheap stuff put on the car that would cause later problems; my insurance co paid so I was not able to get the specifics of the repair, price, brands and what shop follows vw specs.
[HR][/HR]​
Jeez, I'd love to replace my OEM glass. It's the softest glass I've ever seen. My car is 6 months old and I already have scratches from some sort of grit under the wiper and a scratch on the hatch glass from cleaning some sand off.
Also the whole windshield got sandblasted from two days driving on winter roads that were clear but heavily sanded. A lot of that damage was due to a prick in a Saab that purposely put two wheels in the deeper part of the sand to spray me (I don't think he liked a little 1.8T pulling away from him
). Sigh, when the sun is low I can see thousands of tiny specks in the glass from the sand.

[Modified by F1_Fan, 8:05 PM 4-11-2002]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.