VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really new to this. Convincing myself lifting a crown Vic is a good idea. I'm too cool to join a Crown Vic forum. Cars a 2001. How is this done? Thinking a tire size roughly around a 30-31 inch.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
On my f100 I have a 03 crown vic k-memeber, and it is raised up almost 3 inches right now. Due to the engine, and front end being off my truck. The wheels are pretty straight, and to the eye to have no camber issues.

I also had a 97 clip for a bit that I got from a car I bought the engine for, and a bunch of other nonsense. So I rolled the two clips together, and they seem to follow the same philosophy build. Also I noticed the 97 clip did the same thing with no weight in it as the 03.

So it should do a 2 inch lift easily if not more, and be aligned. Given the CV design I would consider air bags for a cheaper lift, and better travel. The 01's steel a- arms should make this a bit easier, and cheaper for the enthusiast.

As for tires have you thought about 275/60/17's? You can get them in AT's, and they come in around 29-30 inches. The wideness of the tire, and rim combo maybe better or atleast worth looking at. My other choice would be 265/70/16's, and go for a D load rating.

Either way it could be a fun vehicle to mess with. Just throw a roof rack on the top so people no your serious.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I have done a bit of research, and now regret buying my ST. Even if owning such a car would guarantee single good for a very long time.

You need to fab up some aluminum spacers. I would cut aluminum round stock 1.5 inches thick, and use new body bushings. This way the body still cover most of the frame, and not look dumb. Plus the wiring should be able to drop down easy enough.

Then fab up a air ride kit for another 2 inches, and get some rancho adjustable shocks.

Add in roof rack, and some lights to make people believe the second coming of Christ is at hand.

Then tear up dirt roads. Leave the push bar in place to help slower vehicles out of the way.

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
Just follow your heart, and post pictures.
I'd combine a small amount of body lift, and a small amount of suspension lift, then apply sawzall to the inner fenders as needed (with subtle nuances of moderation).

Summit has body lift pucks in 1", 2", & 3" increments.
TJ Wrangler front spring spacers should fit your rear axle.
Eaton makes an electronic locker for your rear, a factory LSD means jack **** offroad, if you don't spring for the locker, weld her up.
You should be able to find already mounted 31" tires on Jeep wheels on craigslist, they'll bolt right up.
The front you can probably find some strut spacer that fits, maybe an explorer leveling kit? I don't know.

Don't hold back man, drop a ford ranger transfer case in, and find a dana 30. Shoot for the stars!

·
Registered
SC AW11, Mazda speed NB, 89 Skyline GTS-T 5M, 19 GLI 6M.
9,497 Posts
Just follow your heart, and post pictures.
I'd combine a small amount of body lift, and a small amount of suspension lift, then apply sawzall to the inner fenders as needed (with subtle nuances of moderation).

Summit has body lift pucks in 1", 2", & 3" increments.
TJ Wrangler front spring spacers should fit your rear axle.
Eaton makes an electronic locker for your rear, a factory LSD means jack **** offroad, if you don't spring for the locker, weld her up.
You should be able to find already mounted 31" tires on Jeep wheels on craigslist, they'll bolt right up.
The front you can probably find some strut spacer that fits, maybe an explorer leveling kit? I don't know.

Don't hold back man, drop a ford ranger transfer case in, and find a dana 30. Shoot for the stars!
I never liked body lifts. Seems like a cheap, half assed way of doing it and it looks like crap.

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
I never liked body lifts. Seems like a cheap, half assed way of doing it and it looks like crap.
A lot of people think the same, over 2" I agree.
A small amount of body lift can be useful.
I run 1/4" steel plate flat to the bottom of my frame rails on my Wrangler, because a small amount of body lift allowed me to move the engine/trans/t-case up.
They sure do look ugly, but they keep the OEM suspension & steering geometry and there's something to be said for that.
Tall suspension lifts that don't re-engineer the control arm lengths and angles are just as much of a hack job.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the motivation everyone!

It's the holidays and I'm away from the car so I'm not sure how bad the rest of it is. Damn the donk kit is like $900 USD plus shipping that'll kill me being in Canada. I'm digging the ghettoer options. It's too bad it's so heavy otherwise I'd just try jamming other (taller) coils in it. This is mainly for looks and its a throw away car so cheap is key.

·
Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room.
Atlanta, GA ~ Honda, Ducati
35,232 Posts
Whatever you do... If anyone tells you that your crap-wagon is a waste of money, and no one "gets it", then take a moment and realize that you've won.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts