VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1681 - 1700 of 1706 Posts

·
Registered
fahrvergnügen
5,329 Posts
It's been crickets in here. No comment on the trade deadline buy/sell speculations? Maybe everyone has tuned the Tigers out since they're struggle to play .500 ball.

·
Registered
7.4, 5.7. 2.0T
18,399 Posts
As a fan, I never want the Tigers to be sellers. They are only 3 games out from the second wild card. Cabrera will be coming back (almost like making a trade). Sanchez has been pitching like a good #2. Price has been pitching like Price all season. Some of our bullpen has been good. We could get hot at the right time like the Royals did last season. Both teams in the World Series last year were wild cards.

Reasons to sell: The Tigers are 10.5 games out of first place in the Central. They are at .500. They do not have much they would want to trade away if they buying. Yes, they are 3 games out from the second wild card but lots of other teams are really close too. Including the Twins which are currently holding on to the second wild card there are SIX teams within 5 games of the second wild card. Cabrera won't be back for a month and who knows how long it will take for him to knock the rust off. Starting pitching has been horrible for the most part. Very hard to trust the bullpen with any lead. We are likely not going to resign BOTH Price or Cespedes so it would better to get something for them now than nothing in a few months when they sign with another team.

I did read this about Cespedes:

FoxSports said:
Tigers left fielder Cespedes is telling friends that he wants to re-sign with the club – and that he would maintain that desire even if the Tigers traded him and he became a free agent.

Either way, Cespedes would not be tied to a draft pick. His original contract with the A's stipulated that his team must release him rather than offer him salary arbitration. A team cannot extend a qualifying offer to such a player.

·
Registered
7.4, 5.7. 2.0T
18,399 Posts
Our starting pitching has been a roller-coaster all season. The Royals just got Johnny Cueto and they have a 11.5 game lead in the Central, there is no catching them. We are 4 games out of the second wild card slot but now there are SEVEN teams within 5 games of the second wild card (including the Twins).

I really hate to say this but with our pitching, we should be sellers. We will still have a strong core next season but will need to get some pitching.

·
Registered
8,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,688
It's been crickets in here. No comment on the trade deadline buy/sell speculations? Maybe everyone has tuned the Tigers out since they're struggle to play .500 ball.
Ive been watching every game, it just gets a little hard to be excited about a mediocre team at this point. Awful starting pitching, and then when JV finally has a good outing we score one run.

·
Registered
8,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,692
I think we got a reasonable return considering Price is only a 2 month rental. Newly acquired Daniel Norris is already scheduled to start Sunday for the Tigers.
As far as trades go its a good one.

·
Registered
7.4, 5.7. 2.0T
18,399 Posts
Another pitcher in the Price trade is set to start tomorrow.

I didn't see this coming: Dombrowski out as Tigers GM; Avila takes over

detnews.com said:
Detroit — Dave Dombrowski is out as general manager of the Detroit Tigers.

After a disappointing first half of the season, the Tigers were in sell mode, trading coveted free agents David Price, Yoenis Cespedes and Joakim Soria before the deadline.

On Tuesday, the Tigers lost an even bigger piece of their success over the last decade.

Dombrowski, who had served as general manager and executive vice president of baseball operations for 14 seasons, was released from his contract. Assistant general manager Al Avila assumed the responsibilities of GM and executive vice president, reporting to owner Mike Ilitch.

“I would like to thank Dave Dombrowski for his 14 years of service,” Ilitch said in a news release.

"Together we’ve enjoyed some success, but we’re still in aggressive pursuit of our ultimate goal: to bring a World Series title to Detroit and Michigan.

“I’ve decided to release Dave from his contract in order to afford him the time to pursue other career opportunities. I feel this is the right time for the Tigers to move forward under new leadership.”
Al Avila

Al Avila (Photo: Elizabeth Conley, Detroit News)

Dombrowski did not have a contract for next year and is regarded as one of the best general managers not only in baseball, but in sports.

Avila, 57, has 24 years of baseball experience, including time with the Florida Marlins as the director of Latina American operations.

"I’m very excited for this opportunity, and honored and grateful to Mr. Ilitch for having the faith and trust in me to run the ballclub in our continuing pursuit of a World Series championship,” Avila said. “After 24 years in professional baseball and 14 with the Detroit Tigers, I believe I’m uniquely qualified to be successful in this role in leading this organization. We’re confident we can make a strong push to win this year, and that we have the foundation in place to win next year and for years to come.”

Avila helped bring Cabrera to the Marlins in 1999 and was promoted to assistant general manager in 2001. He joined the Tigers in 2002 as assistant general manager and helped bring Cabrera to the Tigers from the Marlins in 2007.

“Al Avila is a true baseball man,” Ilitch said. “He’s been involved in every facet of the game as a college head coach, scout and executive. His track record in identifying and developing talent is extremely impressive.

“I’m confident that Al will bring his own approach and his own style to the general manager position. He’s worked extremely hard over the course of his career to afford himself this opportunity with the Detroit Tigers.”

·
Registered
7.4, 5.7. 2.0T
18,399 Posts
Wonder when Michael Fulmer will get a try?

New Tiger Michael Fulmer sparkles in Erie debut

DetNews said:
Daniel Norris and Matt Boyd arrived this week, making clear why the Tigers wanted those two young left-handed starters in last week's trade for David Price.

But the right-hander, Michael Fulmer, sent to Detroit as part of a package that delivered Yoenis Cespedes to the Mets, was also highly regarded. And his skills were obvious during Tuesday's start for Double A Erie.

Fulmer pitched 6.2 innings for the SeaWolves in a 3-0 victory over Portland, in Fulmer's first outing for the Tigers organization.

Fulmer, 22, allowed two hits and struck out six, while walking two. His fastball cruised between 97 and 91 mph, sitting most regularly at 94. His slider, which is acknowledged as Fulmer's out-pitch, was particularly sharp.

Fulmer was a first-round draft pick (44th overall) by the Mets in 2011 as he departed Deer Creek High in Edmond, Oklahoma.

His combined numbers for 2015, spanning two Single A stops and two Double A teams: 7-2, 1.90 ERA, 1.04 WHIP, 99.2 innings, 79 hits, 98 strikeouts, 25 walks.

"I just wanted to go in there and make a good first impression with this great Tigers organization," Fulmer told MLB.com. "I've heard great things about the players and the whole organization."

Fulmer could be headed for Detroit yet this season, perhaps after roster limits open on Sept. 1.

·
Registered
7.4, 5.7. 2.0T
18,399 Posts
Norris's second start a few days ago was not as good as his first. However, I still think he is going to be in the starting rotation next season. Matt Boyd goes again tonight.

JV pitched well again last night (6IP, 4H, 7SO, 2R, 0ER). His only blemishes being the walks and the elevated pitch count (113) only allowing him to go 6 innings. He was tagged with the loss as our bullpen imploded again (5 runs) and our offense only got 2 runs.

How do you guys feel about JV now? In 4 of his last 6 starts he has given up 1 or less earned runs.

·
Registered
7.4, 5.7. 2.0T
18,399 Posts
There are multiple reports indicating Brad Ausmus will be fired at seasons end. If this is true, the Tigers are doing everyone a disservice by not owning up to it and parting ways right now.

Also, there seems to be an issue here where everyone blames the manager when most games are won/lost because of the talent on the field, not the manager in the dugout.

Take our starting pitching for example. Right now (excluding players on DL), we have no rotation calibre pitchers except for JV and he missed half a season. And most of JV's losses this season were lost because of lack of offense, not his pitching. Last night, the offense regained the lead but Simon comes back on the next half-inning and gives up the lead again. Stuff like that deflates a team. Trading away one of the best pitchers in baseball did not help.

We have had some brightspots in the bullpen (Wilson and Hardy) but overall, the bullpen has been bottom of the league. Trading away our best late innings guy did not help.

Our offense has been hit or miss this season. VMart is not the same player he was. Ausmus waited too long to move him down the lineup and maybe should sit him altogether but it is difficult to do that with a player that was runner up for the MVP award last season. Trading away a player who some say could get NL MVP votes did not help.

How many games do you really think Brad cost them this season vs how many games were lost because of the front office moves and/or injuries?

1681 - 1700 of 1706 Posts