VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hamilton showing determination by taking pole when it matters.
The Red Bulls clearly second behind Mercedes and Max actually beating Daniel. Kimi fifth and VET gets another penalty, which will drop him to 11th.
Alonso in tenth. Honda using a couple more tokens to improve the ICE....
What are your pics for the race?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Yes, it did. I still think the ban on radio messages should be scrapped. It makes no sense to have the cars as complicated as they are to expect any driver to figure out what is happening when there are about a million combinations to problem solve through to determine which one is the best option. That has nothing to do with driving the car and everything to do with engineering. Watch more teams push the limits now that 10 sec is the going rate for that type of exchange.

Nice drive from Hammie and loved that he got involved with the crowds! I wish more drivers had that sort of interaction with the fans! Watching ALO push the McLaren in the wet was fun too.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I don't care if they allow the radio messages or not. Either way the teams will adapt but you got to follow whatever the rule is.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I don't care if they allow the radio messages or not. Either way the teams will adapt but you got to follow whatever the rule is.
Yes, you do. However, the FIA continues to make F1 a sport where there is so little freedom that there is little room for creativity or excitement. That opens the conversation up to many other issues, but to focus on the radio messages it allows the fans to perhaps be more involved with the drivers and teams. Isn't that the point? Fan interaction?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So ROS lost 7 th gear and he radios in about it (perhaps it was going out at the time). They see a problem and tell him to avoid it. He asks how to avoid it (if I remember right this is about how it went). Then, the engineer tells him to shift through it.
The ban on radio transmission was about the engineers giving drivers an edge, like what line to take through a corner, etc. I seriously think this exchange was not harming the ban.
Considering he limped it home with an issue and still beat Max is noble. To lose that spot is bad and definitely a gift for Max.
Perhaps I haven't read far enough into it, yet.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
So ROS lost 7 th gear and he radios in about it (perhaps it was going out at the time). They see a problem and tell him to avoid it. He asks how to avoid it (if I remember right this is about how it went). Then, the engineer tells him to shift through it.
The ban on radio transmission was about the engineers giving drivers an edge, like what line to take through a corner, etc. I seriously think this exchange was not harming the ban.
Considering he limped it home with an issue and still beat Max is noble. To lose that spot is bad and definitely a gift for Max.
Perhaps I haven't read far enough into it, yet.
That about what I think happened too. I believe ROS was not penalized for the help in setting the car's code or what ever needed to happen to prevent failure, but the instruction to skip 7th gear when shifting was the reason for the penalty. This is the crappy part where in the past the driver could fiddle a bit to figure out how to drive the car the rest of the race, but now with limited gearboxes/engines per season, you don't have that option anymore. Or at least not as willing to explore options for the potential impact on the rest of the races.

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
I hope the radio ban rule gets changed soon, it's stupid and not adding anything to the spectacle.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I hope the radio ban rule gets changed soon, it's stupid and not adding anything to the spectacle.
I would argue that if one driver gets himself in the wrong setting and it degrades his performance or risks damaging the car, he needs to learn his car as well as his competitors. It adds another facet to the race IMHO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts