VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
221 - 240 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 2007 Passat Wagon 3.8 V-6 4 Motion, 130,000 miles

Good news, I think. Purchased a 2007 Passat Wagon 3.8 V-6 4 Motion about 2 months ago, now has 130,000 miles, with a manufactured date of 5/7/2006. I've got a tranny problem and I believe I'll need the valve body replaced, but before I wanted to sink money in it I wanted to make sure I didn't have the dreaded "oil pump bolt" problem. He is what I just verbally confirmed from Donaldson VW in Sayville, NY, which apparently sold and serviced the vehicle up to about 106,500 miles:

At 25,000 miles, in November 2007, they replaced the engine because of an oil pump bolt failure. They could not send me a written confirmation, only verbal, but he was able to pull this info up via the VIN number at their dealership. Interestingly, the CARFAX report showed that computers were checked at 25,052 miles, and nothing else.

Based on what I have read in this thread, any car manufactured before 01/07 had the potential oil pump bolt problem. I'll have to assume my car is safe from that now since it has 105,000 miles on it since the new engine was installed. Besides the tranny valve body problem, I may have a water pump bearing going out because after the engine is warmed up at idle for about 15-20 minutes I started getting an intermittent noise from the water pump housing. That dealer told me that was a 3 hour job, but it looks like to me they'd have to raise or lower the engine to do it.

Thanks to all that have posted to this thread !

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just finished my passat bolt replacement

Just finished my 2007 3.6 l bolt job. Heard a noise from engine googled it and found it is the problem. Lucky me that it did not fxxxxd up my engine. it is grazy how this kind of **** bolt was holding it 98000 mi.
I took me around 32 hours to do that work.

I changed all the sprockets and chains, chain tensioners , cleaned and examined oil pump , Cleand entire engine from inside. replaced all gaskets what needed.

·
Registered
208 Posts
thought I would add to this, its not so much a failed bolt. but work that was done when the bolt was previously replaced. bought the car with low compression in cyl 3. car has 156km on it.

ill update this with the pictures now that the head is off. but it looks like all 3 rear cyl saw exhaust valve piston contact when the bolt failed before.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Replace all of those coolant hoses (and crank or knock sensor) while engine is out. A huge pain in the ass to do without the front end coming off. Keep us posted. By the way, regarding the 2nd to last pic. What is that piece of black plastic?
Can't quite make it out.
haha dont worry I am, I found out today the motor was replaced in 2007 @ 17k km for the oil pump bolt failure

the car had an oil pan put on it at some point and well. it looks like it was ran dry on oil a bit longer then the oil pump would have liked.

·
Registered
208 Posts
another small update and some new parts. it looks as though the new oil pump has a much larger surface for the pulley to mount to it uses a larger bolt as well as the pulley is now one piece and not 2. I also pulled all the valves out of the head re lapped them and checked for bent valves.

was hoping to get the top end back together today but winter kicked the **** out of atlantic canada. so it will have to wait.

·
Administrator
87,858 Posts
just make sure that when you install the lower chain that the first cylinder is TDC.
Just to clarify,
If the crank and cams are lined up you can still put the oil pump sprocket on the wrong way. Use your Bentley or Vw shop manual to reference. It's buried in there (in the ebahn Bentley) deep.

·
Registered
208 Posts
all the parts ive used are oem vw parts straight from the dealer the pulley and pump are now a revision part. and yes the bottom end is all lined up. i did find my compression issue as well.

broken piston for the win. oddly enough it did zero damage to the cylinder wall.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Before I shove my 3.6 into my MK4, how can I know if the motor is updated with the new bolt? Is there a defined VIN split?

WVWFU73C57E233480

It seems like a pretty late model one, and it is on the other side of the VIN split when you look up motors for 2007, is the VIN split for the oil pump bolt?

Just yanked the timing cover off. Has the 10.9 bolt. yay!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just bought a 2006 with the 3.6l in it a few weeks ago from a used dealership. it has 120xxx miles on it and I have no idea if this oil pump bolt has ever been changed :confused: I am the 3rd owner but since I bought it from a dealership I am unable to find out who owned it before me to ask such questions. I would like to assume that its fine considering the mileage??? thoughts.

·
Administrator
87,858 Posts
I just bought a 2006 with the 3.6l in it a few weeks ago from a used dealership. it has 120xxx miles on it and I have no idea if this oil pump bolt has ever been changed :confused: I am the 3rd owner but since I bought it from a dealership I am unable to find out who owned it before me to ask such questions. I would like to assume that its fine considering the mileage??? thoughts.
I've never worked at a dealer so I don't know but I thought they could check by VIN to see service records - even those not at their dealer??? Maybe a dealership employee here can confirm this is an option for you.
Ask them to check for you, there must be *some* history of work done by them - warranty or otherwise, especially on a 2006 - they had a lot of issues with warranty and tsb-type stuff.

If not, only thing I can tell you would be based off the mileage I would assume (I know, bad to assume) that it's been worked out one way or another. I find it hard to believe that the bolt could last 120k and all of a sudden be an issue for you, and I also find it hard to believe that it lasted 120k miles to begin with....so chances are this thing has been resolved.

Push for more info and report back what you find here. I'm curious!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've never worked at a dealer so I don't know but I thought they could check by VIN to see service records - even those not at their dealer??? Maybe a dealership employee here can confirm this is an option for you.
Ask them to check for you, there must be *some* history of work done by them - warranty or otherwise, especially on a 2006 - they had a lot of issues with warranty and tsb-type stuff.

If not, only thing I can tell you would be based off the mileage I would assume (I know, bad to assume) that it's been worked out one way or another. I find it hard to believe that the bolt could last 120k and all of a sudden be an issue for you, and I also find it hard to believe that it lasted 120k miles to begin with....so chances are this thing has been resolved.

Push for more info and report back what you find here. I'm curious!

I went to a dealer and talked with a service tech and he said he's never even heard of the problem...blew my mind. he checked the vin and could only give me maintenance done at VW or anything that VW paid for which was pretty simple things, anything done at other shops he had no record of. he was pretty worthless to be honest. the car does seem to run fine though.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Before I shove my 3.6 into my MK4, how can I know if the motor is updated with the new bolt? Is there a defined VIN split?

WVWFU73C57E233480

It seems like a pretty late model one, and it is on the other side of the VIN split when you look up motors for 2007, is the VIN split for the oil pump bolt?

Just yanked the timing cover off. Has the 10.9 bolt. yay!
Another easy way to check is to look at the intake manifold (assuming the engine came from a Passat). If it's a black plastic two-piece you have a 2008+ engine and no oil pump bolt problems. If it's the silver one-piece manifold you have a 2006 or 2007 engine and you could be at risk.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Another easy way to check is to look at the intake manifold (assuming the engine came from a Passat). If it's a black plastic two-piece you have a 2008+ engine and no oil pump bolt problems. If it's the silver one-piece manifold you have a 2006 or 2007 engine and you could be at risk.
It has the older silver intake manifold.

221 - 240 of 260 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.