VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
241 - 260 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
CarFax Report May Have The Answer.

I to bought a 2007 Passat with the 3.6 engine with 128k miles. When I found out I may have a fatal flaw in the engine I called the local dealer where I got nowhere..
With the CarFax report I was able to find the original dealer who sold the vehicle and that the original owner continued to have service there. I called them, a service advisor said he had never heard of the problem, but checked using my VIN. He came back and said it did have a oil bolt failure and the engine was replaced at 25k and gave the date. I asked if I could get a written statement to that affect and he said they could not do that. That service date and mileage was on the CarFax, but only said "Computers checked". Obviously VW did not want that problem to get out.

Apparently a dealer cannot see what another dealer has done, or so they say.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I to bought a 2007 Passat with the 3.6 engine with 128k miles. When I found out I may have a fatal flaw in the engine I called the local dealer where I got nowhere..
With the CarFax report I was able to find the original dealer who sold the vehicle and that the original owner continued to have service there. I called them, a service advisor said he had never heard of the problem, but checked using my VIN. He came back and said it did have a oil bolt failure and the engine was replaced at 25k and gave the date. I asked if I could get a written statement to that affect and he said they could not do that. That service date and mileage was on the CarFax, but only said "Computers checked". Obviously VW did not want that problem to get out.

Apparently a dealer cannot see what another dealer has done, or so they say.
I have the Carfax from the dealer I got, but it doesn't have any owner information (pretty sure that's no legal) if I buy it from the website does it have previous owner information??

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
No I believe this was all of the 3.6L engines if I recall correctly.
This forum don't get much chatter does it? Lol is there any guidelines as to production dates or anything like that nater? I'm lookin at this hunk of junk for a motor swap for my Rocco so the bolt isn't that big of a deal im just doin diggen before I commit 100%

·
Registered
720 Posts
replacement cost estimates?

Hi All-

After looking thorough all the oil pump threads I don't see much on repair costs.

Anyone knows what a general estimate is for the oil pump bolt fix and anyone have it done in the DC area? If so where?

Thanks in advance,

Troy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi All-

After looking thorough all the oil pump threads I don't see much on repair costs.

Anyone knows what a general estimate is for the oil pump bolt fix and anyone have it done in the DC area? If so where?

Thanks in advance,

Troy
i bought all the parts my self, with the dealer discount 30 % . parts where 650 euro . i changed chains bolts , seals , sprockets, adjusters. no oil pump replacement .
oils and filters another 70 euro , and my own work aprox 30 hours

·
Registered
720 Posts
i bought all the parts my self, with the dealer discount 30 % . parts where 650 euro . i changed chains bolts , seals , sprockets, adjusters. no oil pump replacement .
oils and filters another 70 euro , and my own work aprox 30 hours
Thank you for the reply...

I called two local dealers, one said $2900 and the second said $1800.

A local VW shop quoted $1200 for labor plus parts.

I had no idea where those quotes stood amongst other people's experience.

Thanks again,

Troy

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just had the dreaded call from my shop. 2007 Audi Q7, 96k miles.

Symptons
Rough idle, lack of power, CEL, random ESP, EPC, Oil pressure warnings. CEL codes throw P0016 & P0017 Crankshaft position sensor.

Changed out the oil and full of metal filings. They suspect that it's this wonderful little bolt. :thumbdown::(:(

Has there been any luck with Audi or VW admitting some fault and helping with the cost of the repair?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anyone know what manufacturers part number of the replacement engine you received had?

I have a 03H100033BX, but looking to see if a newer version, 03H100037CX will fit. Some say yes, some say know, Just wanted any clariication

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oil pump bolt

Please list VIN numbers for this engine failure so we can have something to research on our cars.
Thanks
Apparently nobody has ever published VIN numbers. Don't wait for VW as they fear a huge recall. They've got other troubles (2016) to worry about.
For VW it should be easy because of stringent supplier/inventory control, but alas...

·
Registered
2 Posts
3 years later...

I just bought a 3.6l Passat 06, now regretting it. My check engine light came on as I was taking it to the VW dealership to have a general look over on it since I just bought it. Its at 93k miles. Wasn't doing anything weird. Revved high for a minute or two, but that is it. Nothing ever shut off, smoked, leaked, grinded or anything. Do you think I'll be okay? I sold my Forester, all I have ever owned is Subaru, and never had a serious mechanical issue like this possible. Should I go ahead and make my noose?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Should I go ahead and crash into a wall? Bought the car used 93k, dogged it home for two hours, rode it an hour the next day, came to a stop light, and engine light came on. I immediately took it to the local VW dealership. Car never died or anything, and revved right below 1000rpms for a few mins and relaxed. Even if it is a engine bolt failure, do you think I caught it on time? I read everyone else pretty much rode with the light on for a some what extended amount of time, or it failed before anything known was happening. I am a new dad, in college, and crap pay. Do you think I could get VW to help me out at least if I stage a sit in, set myself on fire in the lobby, etc? Lol the last part was a joke. But does anyone think I have any chance at getting help if I showed them its a known issue and used the, "I've always heard VW was a good company, so I decided to get a car from them..."

·
Registered
713 Posts
Should I go ahead and crash into a wall? Bought the car used 93k, dogged it home for two hours, rode it an hour the next day, came to a stop light, and engine light came on. I immediately took it to the local VW dealership. Car never died or anything, and revved right below 1000rpms for a few mins and relaxed. Even if it is a engine bolt failure, do you think I caught it on time? I read everyone else pretty much rode with the light on for a some what extended amount of time, or it failed before anything known was happening. I am a new dad, in college, and crap pay. Do you think I could get VW to help me out at least if I stage a sit in, set myself on fire in the lobby, etc? Lol the last part was a joke. But does anyone think I have any chance at getting help if I showed them its a known issue and used the, "I've always heard VW was a good company, so I decided to get a car from them..."

I think your opinion of VW is about to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

241 - 260 of 260 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.