VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Get In Losers, We Tesla Strokin!

Lots of news and articles in the Model 3 thread about everything. Let's consolidate some items, and let Model 3 be the Model 3 Thread.

First Up: Model X weight distribution. It's a perfect 50/50. Wtf.

·
Registered
Bluestar, NA, V227
15,305 Posts

·
Registered
45,357 Posts
Tesla Motors Club Forum: I have a bricked 2011 Roadster w/250 miles on it. Yes, you read that right, 250 total miles on the odometer.

Consider yourself "lucky." I have a bricked 2011 Roadster 2.5 Sport with 250 miles on it. Yes, you read that right, 250 total miles on the odometer. Loaded. Kept it garaged and enrolled in an EV charging program with the electric company, and kept it plugged in 24/7. The 12 volt battery also died. Had it towed to the local service center, and the service team could not determine why the battery pack is dead, or why it will not charge. The 1 - 3 year battery warranty no longer applies. To add insult to injury, it has been impossible for me to order a new $29,000 battery pack. The battery pack is considered an ACCESSORY! I've tried calling Tesla customer service, sales, etc. After lengthy wait periods on hold, they transfer me to "accessories." Roadster 3.0 Battery Upgrade. My question is, has anyone looked into a class action suit against Tesla?

Description

Deposit: $5,000

Final Price: $29,000

Upgrade your Roadster to a battery that stores roughly 40% more energy than the original battery. There is a slight increase in the battery weight but the total range increases over 35% from the original Roadster.

The price of the battery upgrade is $29,000, including all labor and logistics, which is equal to Tesla's expected cost. It is not our intention to make a profit on the battery pack. The reason the cost per kWh is higher than a Model S battery is due to the almost entirely hand-built, low-volume (only 2 or 3 per week) nature of Roadster battery packs. It also includes additional work to remove, upgrade, and reinstall the power electronics module (PEM.)

All removed battery modules will be fully recycled or reused if possible, and we will reuse many other components from the old battery. Batteries are currently being upgraded in Fremont, CA and we will need sufficient time when scheduling your service to ship and pre-position the needed parts to your local service center. Depending on local service team workload the upgrade will only take a few days once the parts are in place.

A $5,000 deposit is required to reserve your upgrade with the balance due upon installation. Place your order today and you'll be contacted to schedule an installation appointment as inventory becomes available.

Available for all Roadster models.

·
Registered
20,592 Posts
Ok...

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...orgivably-terrible.149636/page-5#post-3593127
ILLCOMM, Apr 23, 2019
Final update: I got the car back yesterday so it was gone 11 days in total. The MCU was replaced and all seems back to normal. (However, I did lose a bunch of settings, including my "Trip A" which was the car's lifetime Wh/m history. Sad trombone.) Once the service center started responding and being proactive everything was as expected for a $90k car, really great service, daily updates, clean car, et cetera. Before that it was a disaster. I am not sure what the lesson is here other than there are parts of the experience that need a lot of attention and parts that seem to work pretty well. This experience will be an asterisk when I recommend Tesla to folks (how could I not, I love the damn thing).

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I heard that the Model 3 goes on sale in 2017.
The Model Y is the next new Tesla, unfortunately it's another nothing to get excited about SUV. Since it's smaller than the X and from the pics I see very car like, I'll give it that much. It will fill the gap between the X and 3 and make me wonder what Musk is thinking about for his next model?

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Model Y is the next new Tesla, unfortunately it's another nothing to get excited about SUV. Since it's smaller than the X and from the pics I see very car like, I'll give it that much. It will fill the gap between the X and 3 and make me wonder what Musk is thinking about for his next model?
Isnt the pickup truck next after the Y?

·
Registered
Bluestar, NA, V227
15,305 Posts
Isnt the pickup truck next after the Y?
Given we won't even see the truck until October at the earliest, the Y is probably next in line. It shares a lot of components with the 3 so production-wise it's closer to launch.

·
Registered
45,357 Posts

·
Registered
8,889 Posts
It's The Future! And It Looks Like General Motors Of The Seventies:)

Quality, it’s difficult.

That was kinda brutal!

After taking delivery of the first 15 cars earlier this year, the company experienced so many issues that they came back to Tesla wanting a guarantee of quality and service for the remaining 85 cars on the order, which was apparently worth around 5 million euros.

“Tesla Model 3 vehicles, which nextmove was supposed to take over after payment and only a short examination, sometimes had serious defects: defective tires, paint and body damages, defective charge controllers, wrong wiring harnesses or missing emergency call buttons. Such quality defects would have endangered the safety of the customers and the profitability of nextmove.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/electr...er-rental-company-service-quality-issues/amp/

·
Registered
45,357 Posts
After watching that video (and seeing other issues posted online elsewhere), it gives me the impression that Tesla has priced the Model 3 so low that they can't afford to properly QC the cars before shipping, nor can they afford to do a proper PDI, nor can they afford to have enough staff to answer phones (they have cut out phone and email service to service centers and only take appointments via an APP). Don't they realize that they are the leader in EVs and can charge a decent price to allow for satisfied customers? They don't need to be selling at dollar store prices, providing crappy products and no after-sales service.

Additionally, I do wonder how legal is it for Tesla to be selling cars as new when some have already been registered to another person and then returned. It is hard to believe that they would even try this in Germany given how controlled everything is there.

·
Registered
8,889 Posts
You're Right!

After watching that video (and seeing other issues posted online elsewhere), it gives me the impression that Tesla has priced the Model 3 so low that they can't afford to properly QC the cars before shipping, nor can they afford to do a proper PDI, nor can they afford to have enough staff to answer phones (they have cut out phone and email service to service centers and only take appointments via an APP). Don't they realize that they are the leader in EVs and can charge a decent price to allow for satisfied customers? They don't need to be selling at dollar store prices, providing crappy products and no after-sales service.

Additionally, I do wonder how legal is it for Tesla to be selling cars as new when some have already been registered to another person and then returned. It is hard to believe that they would even try this in Germany given how controlled everything is there.
There have been many an article about how Tesla underestimated the complexity of building a car, how to maintain quality and the big one, how to di service after the sell.

In my heart I believe Elon hoped that someone would buy him out before it got too far along. It looks like they're winging a lot if it because they are.

·
Registered
45,357 Posts
Electrek did an article on the German video above.

Tesla loses major $5 million Model 3 order from rental company over service and quality issues

Tesla has lost a major $5 million order of 85 Model 3 vehicles from a rental company over problems with service and quality of previously delivered cars.

Germany-based all-electric rental car company nextmove ordered 100 Tesla Model 3 vehicles to add their fleet last year.

After taking delivery of the first 15 cars earlier this year, the company experienced so many issues that they came back to Tesla wanting a guarantee of quality and service for the remaining 85 cars on the order, which was apparently worth around 5 million euros.

nextmove wrote in an email:

“Tesla Model 3 vehicles, which nextmove was supposed to take over after payment and only a short examination, sometimes had serious defects: defective tires, paint and body damages, defective charge controllers, wrong wiring harnesses or missing emergency call buttons. Such quality defects would have endangered the safety of the customers and the profitability of nextmove.”

The company documented some of these issues in a YouTube video released today inn German with English subtitles):

For the rest of the order, the company asked Tesla for a promise of delivering the new vehicles in good condition and for on-time service.

nextmove Managing Director Stefan Moeller said:

“We had to insist on compliance with general quality standards and processes in order to protect our renters and our business model.”

According to the company, Tesla instead decided to cancel the order.

Moeller says that Tesla is in “service hell” — a reference to Elon Musk’s “production hell” comment when the automaker was ramping up production of the Model 3.

Tesla has had issues keeping up with service as its customer fleet grows rapidly with Model 3.

Moeller added:

“We know that Tesla had to overcome the biggest challenges because deliveries started at the same time in Europe and China. But by now processes must be in place that allow more than one in four vehicles to be delivered without defects,” says Moeller. “Although we consider the Model 3 to be the best electric car in the world today, we are now banking heavily on other manufacturers coming onto the market with competitive vehicles next year – and who also know customer service. But, of course, we will also keep testing to see if Tesla can get out of service hell.”

nextmove says that it continued to try buying Model 3’s from Tesla through online orders, but they claim that Tesla tried to sell them cars that were already registered to other buyers before.

They feared that it would have prevented them to take advantage from EV incentives in Germany.

We contacted Tesla about nextmove’s claims and we will update if we get an answer.

Update: Tesla sent us the followinig statement:

“Tesla’s vehicle quality has reached record highs, and our data does not indicate any unusual vehicle quality issues that are specific to Germany or anywhere else in the world. Although there is always a small chance that a car may occasionally encounter blemishes during final transport to a customer, that is not unique to Tesla and we address those issues quickly for anyone impacted. We are also in the process of scaling up service centers globally, including a more than 50% increase in Mobile Service vehicles and a five-fold increase in Mobile Service coverage just this year in Europe.

We set an extremely high bar for our cars, which is why any customer who is unhappy with theirs can return it for a full refund up to seven days after purchase. Our customer satisfaction data shows that German customers have largely been satisfied with their vehicles, including the quality and condition of their cars upon delivery.”

The automaker also claims that they didn’t cancel the order and that nextmove backed off of the plan because of another dispute with Tesla.

Tesla also says that the issue with selling vehicles that were previoulsy registered to other buyers was due to a problem with their VIN matching system that has been corrected.

Electrek’s Take:

Tesla had a rough launch of the Model 3 in Europe earlier this year. Several early customers suffered and it looks like nextmove was one of them.

However, I don’t see why Tesla wasn’t willing to promise good deliveries going forward and on-time service. Isn’t that what they are supposed to do in the first place?

We don’t have all the details, but I feel like nextmove might have been asking for more insurance than that for their commercial business, which might have led to the order cancellation.

Either way, it’s sad to see such a big order canceled, but Tesla is actively working to improve service. It recently announced the opening of two new service centers in Germany.

·
Registered
45,357 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I test drove a TM3P the other day, and for funsies I drove the i3 there so I could have it fresh in my mind. my impressions:

It's a car. Overwhelmingly I came away from the test drive thinking about how normal the driving experience felt. I don't really know what I expected, and it had been a few years since I had been in a model S, so maybe some of the novelty had worn off on me. I drove a performance model with FSD and... I'm not sure what else.

The good-
Acceleration. Duh, but it's really one of those things that you don't have a mental (or physical) benchmark for until you experience it. I did not expect to have to hang onto the wheel to keep from being flattened against the seat. I've owned and driven some very fast cars but the tesla's delivery is certainly unique. It's honestly too fast to really enjoy as by the time your inner ear and brain have begun to process what's happening, you're already up the ass of the car in front of you. Or breaking the law. or both. Weirdly, I felt like the throttle mapping should be more sensitive at first, which feels like it contradicts my previous statement. I felt like the pedal had a couple inches too much travel.

Glass roof. Weirdly enough, on my city/highway route that's the 2nd thing that stuck out post-drive. both for the light and visibility it brought to the spartan cabin, but also for the fact that it was 100 degrees here and I didn't feel the sun at all. It's a great feature IMO. as an aside, the auto climate seemed to work imperceptibly, which I guess is the goal.

Ride and handling. It felt very well composed, with fairly weighty steering and overall good damping. Maybe a half step behind the best german sedans, but most of the time you wouldn't miss it. AWD system felt pretty transparent, but I didn't attempt any mad doriftos.

The bad-
Tire noise. maybe it's because I came from my car, but the tesla let in a lot more road noise than I was expecting. I'm guessing the tires of the performance model are at least partly to blame, but both the volume and the kind of sound were unpleasant. It's obviously made worse by the fact that there's really no other noise to speak of... for the most part.

Weird mechanical noises. I don't know exactly where they were coming from, but there were lots of occasional whirs and clicks, like servos and/or relays throughout the drive. my guess is it was related to climate and steering parts, but again I can't be sure (maybe the superpump? it was super hot as said before). the car had a couple thousand miles on it but that's it.

Super glitchy situational display. I'm not sure what version of the FSD hardware or software the car was running, but it just could not seem to correctly place the cars around our demo vehicle. many times the surrounding vehicles would jump in position or orientation and more than once they were displayed as rotated 90 degrees and partly inside our car. unsettling considering we're supposed to trust this system to also drive us around and not run into things and/or people. I will say that autopilot seemed to do its job admirably but all we did was lane keep and change lanes a couple times.

The meh-
pretty much everything else. For all the hoopla made about the interior, I thought it was perfectly mediocre. build quality was fine and the screen didn't bother me that much. I'm sure I'd get used to it over time. The car definitely felt heavy, in all the good and bad ways, and coming from any other car I probably wouldn't care, but it's 1400lbs heavier than our car.

Ultimately I came away both impressed with the range and drivetrain, but also ambivalent about the rest of the car. The tesla feels like the actual future, while my i3 feels like a movie version of the future. given that it cost me less than 1/3 the price, I'll stick with my demolition man taco bell of a car, and leave the TM3P to the big boys. In a few years when they're a dime a dozen? Or if you don't have an EV and want something that doubles as a perfectly normal commuter but will also rip your face off? Count me in.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I test drove a TM3P the other day, and for funsies I drove the i3 there so I could have it fresh in my mind. my impressions:

It's a car. Overwhelmingly I came away from the test drive thinking about how normal the driving experience felt. I don't really know what I expected, and it had been a few years since I had been in a model S, so maybe some of the novelty had worn off on me. I drove a performance model with FSD and... I'm not sure what else.

The good-
Acceleration. Duh, but it's really one of those things that you don't have a mental (or physical) benchmark for until you experience it. I did not expect to have to hang onto the wheel to keep from being flattened against the seat. I've owned and driven some very fast cars but the tesla's delivery is certainly unique. It's honestly too fast to really enjoy as by the time your inner ear and brain have begun to process what's happening, you're already up the ass of the car in front of you. Or breaking the law. or both. Weirdly, I felt like the throttle mapping should be more sensitive at first, which feels like it contradicts my previous statement. I felt like the pedal had a couple inches too much travel.

Glass roof. Weirdly enough, on my city/highway route that's the 2nd thing that stuck out post-drive. both for the light and visibility it brought to the spartan cabin, but also for the fact that it was 100 degrees here and I didn't feel the sun at all. It's a great feature IMO. as an aside, the auto climate seemed to work imperceptibly, which I guess is the goal.

Ride and handling. It felt very well composed, with fairly weighty steering and overall good damping. Maybe a half step behind the best german sedans, but most of the time you wouldn't miss it. AWD system felt pretty transparent, but I didn't attempt any mad doriftos.

The bad-
Tire noise. maybe it's because I came from my car, but the tesla let in a lot more road noise than I was expecting. I'm guessing the tires of the performance model are at least partly to blame, but both the volume and the kind of sound were unpleasant. It's obviously made worse by the fact that there's really no other noise to speak of... for the most part.

Weird mechanical noises. I don't know exactly where they were coming from, but there were lots of occasional whirs and clicks, like servos and/or relays throughout the drive. my guess is it was related to climate and steering parts, but again I can't be sure (maybe the superpump? it was super hot as said before). the car had a couple thousand miles on it but that's it.

Super glitchy situational display. I'm not sure what version of the FSD hardware or software the car was running, but it just could not seem to correctly place the cars around our demo vehicle. many times the surrounding vehicles would jump in position or orientation and more than once they were displayed as rotated 90 degrees and partly inside our car. unsettling considering we're supposed to trust this system to also drive us around and not run into things and/or people. I will say that autopilot seemed to do its job admirably but all we did was lane keep and change lanes a couple times.

The meh-
pretty much everything else. For all the hoopla made about the interior, I thought it was perfectly mediocre. build quality was fine and the screen didn't bother me that much. I'm sure I'd get used to it over time. The car definitely felt heavy, in all the good and bad ways, and coming from any other car I probably wouldn't care, but it's 1400lbs heavier than our car.

Ultimately I came away both impressed with the range and drivetrain, but also ambivalent about the rest of the car. The tesla feels like the actual future, while my i3 feels like a movie version of the future. given that it cost me less than 1/3 the price, I'll stick with my demolition man taco bell of a car, and leave the TM3P to the big boys. In a few years when they're a dime a dozen? Or if you don't have an EV and want something that doubles as a perfectly normal commuter but will also rip your face off? Count me in.
Last week I had my first ride/drive in a M3P as well!

My thoughts echo many of yours. Our i3 feels completely different (in a good way) to me, and the build quality is far, far better.

·
Registered
45,357 Posts
Tesla to raise prices in China on August 30 as trade war escalates

• Tesla will raise prices in China on Friday, earlier than the company initially planned.
  • The company could hike prices again in December should tariffs on U.S.-made cars take effect.
  • Tesla is just one of many companies feeling the impact of the U.S.-China trade war.
U.S. electric vehicle maker Tesla will raise prices in China on Friday, earlier than planned, and is considering increasing prices again in December should Chinese tariffs on U.S.-made cars take effect, people familiar with the matter said.

The people declined to be identified as the plan has not been made public. A Tesla representative did not immediately respond to Reuters’ request for comment on Monday.

The company is among many impacted by Sino-U.S. trade friction. It currently imports all the cars it sells in China and has had to adjust prices multiple times over the past year due to tariff changes.

Reuters reported this month that Tesla was considering to lift prices in China from September after the yuan weakened significantly against the U.S. dollar. One person told Reuters on Monday that the automaker was bringing forward these plans to Aug. 30.

Both people said the automaker is now also mulling another price hike in December after China’s commerce ministry last week announced it would reinstitute tariffs of 25% on vehicles and 5% on auto parts which it suspended in December, in the latest tit-for-tat escalation of the trade war.

“Tesla will also try to ship more cars to China before December, before the tariff hikes,” said one of the people.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts