VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1761 - 1777 of 1777 Posts

·
Registered
10,092 Posts

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
I don't see castro as the solution either, though he is very promising. We just don't seem to be able to put together any consistent series...so many runners left on base and such low RISP averages.

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
I almost forgot about this thread. I haven't been in here since last year.

The wife and I watched the documentary movie We Believe last night and damn..... I really miss Derosa and the days when Big Z could deliver consistently.

Castro has certainly impressed me, but you guys are right, he alone is not enough. I'm really liking Byrd on the team too.

Been to 2 games this year. The improvements to Wrigley are very nice. FINALLY they improved the restrooms! They put in some (just some) proper urinals, but for the most part, the troughs remain. :laugh:

·
Registered
10,092 Posts
Troughs are fine, in fact urinals are terrible. Ever been to a Bears game? :laugh:

It was just the restroom space that was a problem - is there still a 5-minute wait to get to a trough between the 3rd and 4th? Looking forward to seeing my first game this year but not really in a rush to go with the way they're playing. It's been a long, long time since I went to a crosstown series game and considering the girlfriend works at the Cell it would be fun to take her to one.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
So barring some miraculous comeback, our season is over before June ends. Looking forward to next year, what's everyone think about possibly trading Z?

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Goodbye Mr. Cub.

http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2015/1/23/7880829/ernie-banks-mr-cub-dies-at-83

Ernie Banks, Mr. Cub, Dies At 83

Just last weekend, it was announced at the Cubs Convention that Ernie Banks couldn't make it; the reason wasn't stated but many assumed he had to be seriously ill. I can't remember the last convention Ernie missed.

Tonight, unfortunately, we have this sad news:

Ryan Baker @RyanBakerMedia
Follow

BREAKING NEWS: So sorry to confirm, per family attorney, that #Cubs legend Ernie Banks has died at 83. #MrCub #RIP @cbschicago

Ernie was one of my childhood heroes, though by the time I first started watching Cubs games in 1963, he was on the downside of his Hall of Fame career, which included back-to-back MVP awards in 1958 and 1959, the first National Leaguer to accomplish that. All told he hit 512 home runs, at the time of his retirement that ranked tied for ninth all-time. He's still 22nd on the all-time home run list and also still holds many club records.

Beyond that, Ernie was beloved for his sunny personality, coining the phrase "Friendly Confines" to describe Wrigley Field and saying "Let's play two!" on coming to the ballpark each day.

I'll have much more on Ernie over the next couple of days but wanted to get this sad news out to you tonight.

·
Registered
554 Posts
This thread needs a revival, Mitch Buchannon style!

Can't believe with the hot season this thread is still over a year stale, and now, look where the Cubs are!! Guys, history has been made and I can't wait to see what the next several days have to say!!

My dad was born and raised in Chicago, and moved to Oklahoma in late high school. I grew up watching Harry Carry and Steve Stone commentating every game over WGN. Nolan Ryan was my idol, but after his retirement I realized I knew more about the Cubs than I did the Rangers, and I was a Cubs fan all along. My first time at Wrigley was in 1992 when I was 10 years old. We watched them beat the Pirates 11-1. Sosa's first year, Mike Morgan pitched the game, and Barry Bonds' solo homer was their only run.

It wasn't until 2011 when I was able to go back again, and luckily it was against the Astros and it was the first sweep of the season! Not only that, but I was able to bare-hand catch the Astros' Carlos Lee's homerun. So I did what any self-respecting Bleacher Bum would do and I Henry Rowengartnered that **** back out onto the infield!

I've been back to Wrigley once since then, in 2014, to watch the series against the Braves. They lost the series, and Arrieta's game was the only W for the weekend, but it was still one of the best times I've had.

I always told myself that if the Cubs make it to the World Series, even if I go by myself, I'm going to be in Chicago. For Friday and Saturday's games 3 and 4, I'll be in the apartments under the right field roof top bleachers. I can't afford tickets inside the park or atop any of the rooftop bleachers, but I don't care, I'm going to freaking be in Wrigleyville for the World Series!!!!

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
CUBS WIN IN 10!!!

Mike

1761 - 1777 of 1777 Posts