VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Official FORMULA 1 GRAN PREMIO DE ESPAÑA PIRELLI 2016 Catalunya

Round 5 of the 2016 Formula 1 championship kicks off the European leg of the season (with a brief stop in Canada mixed in).
Nico took last years race ahead of Lewis and Vettel, will he repeat this year? Will Lewis still have mechanical issues? Will Vettel have another encounter with Danii Kyvat? How well will Verstappen do with his first race at Reb Bull?

Race coverage is scheduled for Sun 16 @ 7:30am est on NBCSN.

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nico on top of FP2, followed by Kimi, Lewis and Seb.

Interesting further down though...

1 6 Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1:23.922 35
2 7 Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari 1:24.176 +0.254s 31
3 44 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1:24.641 +0.719s 27
4 5 Sebastian Vettel Ferrari 1:25.017 +1.095s 35
5 55 Carlos Sainz Toro Rosso 1:25.131 +1.209s 39
6 3 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull Racing 1:25.194 +1.272s 37
7 14 Fernando Alonso McLaren 1:25.342 +1.420s 31
8 33 Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing 1:25.375 +1.453s 31
9 11 Sergio Perez Force India 1:25.437 +1.515s 32
10 27 Nico Hulkenberg Force India 1:25.453 +1.531s 35
11 77 Valtteri Bottas Williams 1:25.708 +1.786s 30
12 22 Jenson Button McLaren 1:25.893 +1.971s 20
13 8 Romain Grosjean Haas 1:25.899 +1.977s 33
14 20 Kevin Magnussen Renault 1:26.244 +2.322s 40
15 26 Daniil Kvyat Toro Rosso 1:26.375 +2.453s 44
16 19 Felipe Massa Williams 1:26.491 +2.569s 36
17 30 Jolyon Palmer Renault 1:26.770 +2.848s 16
18 94 Pascal Wehrlein Manor 1:26.960 +3.038s 40
19 88 Rio Haryanto Manor 1:27.252 +3.330s 39
20 12 Felipe Nasr Sauber 1:27.812 +3.890s 40
21 21 Esteban Gutierrez Haas 1:28.205 +4.283s 9
22 9 Marcus Ericsson Sauber 1:28.501 +4.579s 42

Verstappen goes to Red Bull and Kvyat back to Torro Rosso yet Sainz posted the quickest of the 4 team drivers?
Let's how FP3 and qualifying turns out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Geez. Got logged out of my account and can't figure out how to get back in, so I made a new one for the time being.
What an exciting qualifying session! How about those Bulls? Holy smokes RIC. Awesome showing by Max! Did he essentially push RIC just by his presence? I'm fairly certain that Danil wouldn't have been in P4. I could be wrong.
And wtf Ferrari? Lmao. Did anybody see Arriverderci's look on his face when he was interviewed on Outland right after by one of the SKY F1 guys? That was the look of a man that is seriously worried. I read Sergionne was present for the GP.
Also very impressed with HAM. What a lap. One could really tell that he was on it! And we're back to ROS hilarious expressions and babbling during the press conferences.
Finally, my man ALO has a bit to smile about. Hopefully, he can move up a bit during the race tomorrow!

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Well I woke up the whole house screaming HOLY ****!

Rosberg made a legal move IMHO. I got to blame Hammy.

The Bulls are faster than Ferrari on the straights, their engine upgrade could be huge. Seems the Bulls still have the best aero on the track.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah, that was amazing. Couldn't believe what happened there with the Mercs. The stewards decided it was a racing incident. I have to agree, because Lewis definitely was to optimistic and ROS did not leave enough room. Unbelievable. This will change the dynamics drastically in the team!
Same thing will happen within RB. RIC undoubtedly will feel like he got screwed. Unbelievable event for Max! Showed real maturity holding off RAI!
Let's also remember that would Mercedes not have crashed, Ferrari very likely would not have made the podium!
The season is starting to really turn into something......

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I call BS on all the diplomacy...M-B pansies

I disagree...ROS could not/did not want to get passed as HAM was coming up on him fast. He (ROS) moved all the way across the track to block HAM. HAM moved as far right as he could w/o running into the back of ROS (rule #1: don't hit your team mate) and went into the grass still trying to avoid ROS. ROS left HAM 2 tire widths of track and the rest is history. I believe that ROS made an illegal racing move(s) to the right forcing HAM into the spin. The accident is ROS's fault because he didn't want to get passed going in to corner #4 and then let HAM control the race. He (ROS) was being greedy and wanted to stay out in front to control the race regardless of the consequences. Well, it bit them both and the whole team suffered.

Both drivers have huge chips on their shoulders and hopefully this is a wake up call for them and their team.

If the blame was thrown HAM's way, it would have/could have resulted in a 10-grid spot penalty on the next race and M-B wouldn't want that. So, to be "fair" to all parties involved, and themselves; they ruled it a racing incident. :bs:

Yes, the goal of every race driver is to get out front and win the race, but you have to make it to the end of the race before that can happen. Could ROS have shown more restraint and taken the pass like a man...yes. Could HAM have shown slightly better judgement...sure; but neither safe decision is in their minds at the start of the race. Get to the front at all costs.

It was a good race and congrats to VES. Poor RIC. Flat tire on the 65th lap and he had time to pit and return, but the team decided to keep him and he DNF'd.

Note to M-B: Assign the blame to ROS and move on. Just because he's leading the standings doesn't mean he is immune to (internal/or official) reprimand. What a bunch of pansies.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
He went back out and finished 4th. Strategy killed his shot to win.
oops...guess I missed that. I walked away from the tv for a bit and heard the announcers say something that sounded like the team kept him in the pits. I have the program stopped on my DVR and have yet to watch the rophy presentation.

Congrats to Redbull and that other animal team. However, neither would have been close if the silver arrows stayed on track/in the race.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Turns out Rosberg incorrectly had his engine in the reduced power mode and Hamilton knew it because of the rear red light. OK, Rosberg owns it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Turns out Rosberg incorrectly had his engine in the reduced power mode and Hamilton knew it because of the rear red light. OK, Rosberg owns it.
It caused a difference of 17 KPH in speed. Think that's a hair over 10 MPH.....

I imagine that makes a huge difference. Think quickly. Micro seconds... :(

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
He went back out and finished 4th. Strategy killed his shot to win.
I saw him enter the pits and thought...too bad, even his 4th (and decent points) is doomed. But he was soooo far ahead of P5 that it didn't matter.

Shows how far just those 2 teams were ahead of the field.

Did the telemetry show whether Lewis braked at all? Because if he knew Nico was down on power and seeing how fast he was coming up his rear, you would figure (just like coming up on any slower car) you need to compensate a bit.

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
Greetings F1... Good to see old names still here...

What a disaster... Big effup at Merc. But, why is everyone trying to find a reason NOT to blame Doucheberg? C'mon racing move my ass! If he ROS agreed he was down on power, wouldn't a move as he did, on a faster car ( as in to reference a "blue flag" context), constitute an illegal move? I mean multiple angle video apparently means nothing these days...

Awesome for Max! Proud of the kid... RB still has some teething issues, I feel they've haven't been sharp in 2 seasons.

Ferrari, have close in on the #2 in the grid pecking order.

#one

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was a clash of egos.
Rosberg was on a roll having won seven straight races and is the championship leader for at least 2 more rounds. Lewis is the defending champion, down 43 points and is eager to make up ground. Neither one is going to readily give ground to the other.

Pro Rosberg: he got ahead of his teammate and closed the door; (Rosberg has done this type of blocking in previous races a few seasons back and hasn't been penalized for it, Lewis himself has squeezed Rosberg to the edge of the track as well, though not in the same fashion)

Pro Hamilton: Lewis went for the gap, similar to what Kyvat did while passing Vettel a few races back; Vettel backed off because Danii was far enough alongside to take the spot, Lewis never got as far alongside Rosberg as Kyvat did on Vettel.
However the portion he did get alongside Rosberg qualifies as a significant portion according to the rules.

Con Rosberg and Hamilton: You took out your teammate before the first lap of the race was done :banghead:.

The Rules that apply:
27.6 More than one change of direction to defend a position is not permitted. Any driver moving
back towards the racing line, having earlier defended his position off-line, should leave at least
one car width between his own car and the edge of the track on the approach to the corner.

27.7 Any driver defending his position on a straight, and before any braking area, may use the full
width of the track during his first move, provided no significant portion of the car attempting
to pass is alongside his. Whilst defending in this way the driver may not leave the track without
justifiable reason.
*For the avoidance of doubt, if any part of the front wing of the car attempting to pass is
alongside the rear wheel of the car in front this will be deemed to be a ‘significant portion’.

The pass attempt happened after coming out of a turn onto a straight. Rosberg could (and did) use the whole track to defend. Lewis did manage to get the his front wing pass Nico's rear tires but this was with Hamilton's right tires already on the edge of the track.

Both drivers had the rules on their side, but it is a question timing, when Rosberg started to close the door, Lewis was not yet alongside, however he does get alongside (*as per the rule) before leaving the edge of the track.

Either driver could have adjusted to avoid the accident (Rosberg could have left some room, and Hamilton could have backed off) but neither one was willing to concede, and likewise both could have been deemed at fault.

I will say one thing, that was the most thoroughly explained steward assessment I've ever read. ;)

The rest of the race was amazing.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I wonder if Nico even knew he was in the wrong mode at the time - edit: just watched the video in the previous post. Looks like Nico caught mid corner. I can only imagine he was driving looking at his mirrors. Two drivers not willing to give way to the other. Anyway, it was a matter of time between those two and it will be fun watching the team try to remain objective! Amazing to see VER pull out a win in his first race with RB! Let's hope that RB can shake up the front with Ferrari and give Merc hell! Keep hoping to see Haas get back into the points, but I fear they have little development processes in place whereas the other teams have now caught them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
There's actually quite a bit being discussed about what exactly happened and why.

I read on a German site that ROS may have been in safety car mode during the start. Apparently this is not that unusual during formation lap, yet he is to switch out of it. It is possible to start in that mode, yet by turn three the system goes to battery charging and he loses 160 HP. Apparently it became evident to him somehow just after turn 1 and during the next corner he makes an adjustment on the wheel and then hits his overtake button right about the time he pulls to the right to block off HAM. Off course the software doesn't allow for the overtake button to work for the first 90 seconds somehow and he gets zero boost.

Not sure if you can translate it, but it also talks about the event in a picture gallery with explanations.....

PS: driver's are not to be coached on how to do their start procedures from their engineers. This may have caused ROS to be in the wrong start mode.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...r-schalter-in-falscher-position-11255407.html

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep, you can see him fiddling with the controls in the video I link.

I'm sure Hamilton (being his teammate) knew exactly what happened to Nico when trying to pass him.

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
PS: driver's are not to be coached on how to do their start procedures from their engineers. This may have caused ROS to be in the wrong start mode.
I get it that the pit wall has the live telemetry and knows he's in the wrong setting, but cannot tell him over the radio. But ROS should know better w/o any coaching, it's why he's sitting in that car getting the salary he does. I'd think all these guys are conditioned to go through a pre-flight check while finishing the formation lap every single time. Major mental mistake on his part.

And yet I still stand by my feeling of Lewis going for a gap that wasn't going to be successful...he had 65.5 more laps to find an opportunity and chose unwisely (probably) more out of frustration of losing P1 at the start. I bet if we could read his thoughts when he had his hands on his visor sliding through the kitty litter, it would be something like, "I probably shouldn't have tried that!" moreso than "Nico ruined my race."

·
Registered
51 Posts
Can you imagine the adrenaline when those lights go out? I would like to know when that kicks in. When lights go out for installation lap? During? When they pull up to grid?
It's got to be a ton of stuff that they fiddle with.
Now add the shear mental aspect of having one chance to win the race. And that's into turn one!
If ROS did make that mistake, imo, it says perhaps a bit about his mental strength. He's gonna have to mentally perform flawlessly, if he wants to fend off HAM. Because that guys bad luck is gonna run out.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts