VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Can you imagine the adrenaline when those lights go out? I would like to know when that kicks in. When lights go out for installation lap? During? When they pull up to grid?
It's got to be a ton of stuff that they fiddle with.
Now add the shear mental aspect of having one chance to win the race. And that's into turn one!
If ROS did make that mistake, imo, it says perhaps a bit about his mental strength. He's gonna have to mentally perform flawlessly, if he wants to fend off HAM. Because that guys bad luck is gonna run out.....
I am sure it is sky high, but these guys train for this high pressure situation. I didn't see in the video (taken offline now) if he switched it after the start because there would be no way to get the start he did and pass Hammie into Turn 1 if he was lacking HP.

·
Registered
11,282 Posts
He's gonna have to mentally perform flawlessly, if he wants to fend off HAM. Because that guys bad luck is gonna run out.....
I agree. He needs to keep chipping away at every race because just one HAM win and a ROS dnf and the momentum pendulum will swing 180 degrees in the opposite direction.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am sure it is sky high, but these guys train for this high pressure situation. I didn't see in the video (taken offline now) if he switched it after the start because there would be no way to get the start he did and pass Hammie into Turn 1 if he was lacking HP.
He switches his STRAT (correct spelling) rotary dial switch while exiting turn 3 and hits the Overtake button. He must have sensed that he was in the wrong engine mode. Being in safety car mode does give full power, yet it also allows for battery charging, which it started to do somewhere in turn 3 (HAM says he knew something was going on cause he saw the blinking light about that time). The software not only goes into derate mode to charge batteries, but also prevents the extra boost from hitting the Overtake button for another 65 seconds. This, apparently, is a safety feature for the drivers to prevent full power too soon and spinning while accel out of a corner....

21 - 23 of 23 Posts