VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ricciardo tops the 2nd practice session followed by Hamilton, Rosberg, Verstappen and Kyvat(!), Sainz, Raikkonen, Perez, Vettel and Button(!).

Stay tuned...

Race is on Sun May 29th at 8AM est. NBC.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
What's the reason why there is no activity on Friday, I know they have the two hour period on race day that cuts off whether the race is complete or not?

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Alonso Upgrade

From F1

Honda have revealed they will have a single upgraded powertrain for Fernando Alonso at McLaren in Monaco this weekend, despite not having spent any more of their remaining 14 in-season development tokens.

The move means Alonso will be on the third of his five permitted internal combustion engines (ICE) for the season, but Honda say this one will have modifications to enhance reliability.

Though team mate Jenson Button will stick with the same ICE he used at the last round in Spain, both he and Alonso will also have revised electronics and new batteries after the latter’s car switched itself off in Barcelona after going into fuel-saving mode.

Motorsport head Yusuke Hasegawa has already stated that Honda will use at least some of their development tokens to effect a significant upgrade of the combustion process, which will be introduced mid-season in the search for greater horsepower and top-end performance.

Honda have previously confirmed they intend to spend their tokens on major updates, rather than taking small steps throughout the season.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Alexander Rossi will be back at Manor Racing after Rio Haryanto's 11 paid ride sponsored by Indonesia runs out. I hope to see earning some point(s) for Manor, X finger;)

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Yup, they actually open the streets back up for Friday traffic.
That's right, I saw the interview part of Will Buxton with Lewis in a top down driving on the track itself on a Friday. Alexander Rossi will be back after Rio Haryanto's 11th race, apparently Indonesia only paid for 11 races. I hope it happens for him and get some points from the remaining 10 races.

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Qualifying on now. NBCSP

2 red flags in Q1 Nasser smokes out of the tunnel, and Verstappen snaps front right suspension/steering rod by the pool, both will likely start from the back tomorrow...

Hammy, Nico and Ricciardo 1,2 and 3 so far...

Torro Rosso's are right on Vettel's heels (bet he's happy with that...:p )...

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I thought it was odder to go 4 wheels off to hold position in the nouvelle chicane and the stewards let it go. RB's pit crew lost RIC the race though.

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A race that is normally boring may be fun tomorrow with rain in the forecast. Grats to RIC on his first pole.
You certainly called it, rain played with everyones strategy.

Some thoughts:
  • Kvyat needs to mature NOW!, or give up his spot to the test driver.
  • The Sauber boys need to remember it isn't just about them, the whole team is dependent on them finishing races.
  • Good on Alonso for bringing home solid points.
  • Nico Rosberg, the race isn't over until you cross the finish line, he better hope this 2 point swing from 6th to 7th doesn't return to bite him in the @$$ (he's 24 points ahead of Lewis vs 26 if he kept 6th place)

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
I thought it was odder to go 4 wheels off to hold position in the nouvelle chicane and the stewards let it go. RB's pit crew lost RIC the race though.
4 Wheels? Man...listen... As opposed to getting crunched into the grass las race? Without any action taken? Glad you're not a steward...

An otherwise borefest turn out to be pretty aight... Wet driving, equalizes talent... Happy for RB... Just glad there's some changes and challenges appearing at the front of the grid.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, that was interesting. Although I feel ok with HAM getting this one over The ROS, I can't help but feel gutted for RIC. He said they called him into the pits, so command def farked that up. Kravitz said that due to the layout of the pitwall location being above the garage here, it was even more difficult to correct that miscommunication. The pit lane tire team relies on an electronic communication and that somehow failed.
Boy, The ROS certainly shows signs of mental weakness when it counts. Lost 2 additional points to HAM from Hulks sneak attack and last race with his engine setting.
I still say HAM is a 4 time champ by the end of the season!

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
Well, that was interesting. Although I feel ok with HAM getting this one over The ROS, I can't help but feel gutted for RIC. He said they called him into the pits, so command def farked that up. Kravitz said that due to the layout of the pitwall location being above the garage here, it was even more difficult to correct that miscommunication. The pit lane tire team relies on an electronic communication and that somehow failed.
Boy, The ROS certainly shows signs of mental weakness when it counts. Lost 2 additional points to HAM from Hulks sneak attack and last race with his engine setting.
I still say HAM is a 4 time champ by the end of the season!
RIC drove his ass off...RB fubared the leap on LH. There were moments where I was certain he was gonna win tho. But the processional track that Monaco is, limited his attacks on LH. Funny enough KFZ, I actually think this will be DoucheBergs' first championship.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't think ROS can pull it off. Long way to go.
Regarding your comment about RIC having a go at Lewis, we've all seen champs that know how to make the car real wide and not lose their cool. Pretty impressive stuff for 47 laps!!

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
I don't think ROS can pull it off. Long way to go.
Regarding your comment about RIC having a go at Lewis, we've all seen champs that know how to make the car real wide and not lose their cool. Pretty impressive stuff for 47 laps!!
I see a very dark side hidden within RIC watching him during the podium ceremony, something different with the smile that was missing which you and I are used to. Could it be an influence from his new "wonder" kid team mate? About VES, I see that he definitely needs to gain more F1 track experience, there is a difference between going fast and finishing vs going fast and cross your fingers trying to win a race. My wow factor was never present from the start, it's still not there after today. But if he was showing some hint of controlling his demons, maybe would consider driving around me if I were racing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts