VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Differential Question

Are the 4 and 5 speeds the same?
If so, anyone have a diff they can part with?
BTW, your answer to the later question should be Yes, if the first is Yes.
This is going towards LSD research. I'm pretty sure I'm close.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
I talked to some people south of the equator and one recommended trying with the italian maker Bacci. I havent found anything on them though.
Sorry no spare diffs to give ya.

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (Banned wagon)

If you have a toasted trani, would you be up to pulling the diff and sending it my way so I can compare with some other diffs?
If I can find one the same, and then find out if similar makes/models came with LSDs or find out if they had aftermarket options, then we'll all have access to LSDs.
I've been hunting for this info for months and now I'm feeling very very close to the end of the quest.

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
Re: (HiJinx)

I will pull the trany out later this week(hopefully my 9Q will get here soon) i will check it out and see that the diff isnt messed up.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts

I know when we had talked about this before. Someone had mentioned the idea of using a type 3 transaxle, with an adapter plate and flipping the diff to use in a FWD application. I assume that there are stock/aftermarket LSD's for those tranmissions? I dont know much about the aircooled dubs. But would a similar type transmisson be found in anything else? Possibley earlier porsches?
I dont know what it would take to put the early transaxle in our cars, seems you would need an assortment of things and maybe new shift linkages.
As for the search on LSD's for the fox transmissons, I did get a hold of a company that said they could get them. Or so they thought, but they had told me that they were listed only for the voyage, which doesnt make since unless for some unknown and odd reason the voyage in Brazil used a different transmission than the other BX cars. I dont recall the name of the company, but I will get the website and contact email when I am home tonight (stuck at work now).
I can say the need for an LSD is on the top of my list, even now with the few mods I have traction is an issue both at the dragstrip and exiting turns on the auto-x course. When it rains I can hardly leave the line witout spinnning the tires, or actually the tire. I have never spun both its always one or the other.

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
Re: (88GL_Wagon)

Quote, originally posted by 88GL_Wagon »
I know when we had talked about this before. Someone had mentioned the idea of using a type 3 transaxle.

FYI
a type 3 transaxle is a the same as a bug

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (88GL_Wagon)

no, I think that's far to much work for a simple LSD. I'd weld mine before I did crazy work like.
In any case, yes. find out. And, I'm pretty sure Voyages from what I know have the same/similar trani's as us. Internals would almost have to be the same.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts

i got your diff right here just pay for shipping and its yours my zip is 21158 and the diff weighs about 10lbs if i'm off on the weight i'll make up the diff in shipping costs

·
Registered
415 Posts
Re: (93wolfsburg)

Hmmm. I wonder if someone has located a certain Porshe or better yet VW pumpkin and is gonna make a revelation with what RabbitSam a couple of years ago(and surprise: even a guy I knew in the 90's!) has aready found out.
Hint: A guy I worked with had his A2 in the air at the military hobby shop, and was telling me he did not like the Fox 5 speed gearing, so the old 5 speed was gong back in. When you have cheap lift time and tools, and an addiction to your 'dub, lots of interesting things can happen.
Anyway. I'm all tingly inside. Just like with the shock and spring combos. Maybe more.
I never researched it more, or made the effort, so I have never said alot about it. Jonathan said it could not be done, and I backed off. So did RabbitSam. But the guy way back when had no reason to bluff me that I could see.
It will be good to finally put this one to rest.

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (thegreatandpowerful)

"Hint: A guy I worked with had his A2 in the air at the military hobby shop, and was telling me he did not like the Fox 5 speed gearing, so the old 5 speed was gong back in. "
That hurts my brain man. A2, Fox, Trani...augh!!! haha, what?

·
Registered
2,775 Posts

are you saying that the a2 trani could possibly be fitted to the fox and that we could use our equal length transaxles .....some fab-work would be necessary but

·
Registered
415 Posts
Re: (littlesnides)

I am not saying that the tranny's are the same, but something to do with the internals or "pumpkin" is the proper term.
I am not a tranny man, never messed with them. Someone here is, Bart is gonna be soon.
Jut passing on the word, not from some supertech from across the world, just a guy I knew years ago that had a seriously fast water cooled VW back befoe it was hip.
I remember when 14" was as large as you could go with rims, shocks and springs were impossible to find, and decent seats were a dream.
Just thoughts.

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (thegreatandpowerful)

Interesting. Everything I've checked on (aside from physically looking) has indicated that our boxes and the transvers 'dub boxes have completely different internals. hmmmmmm

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (93wolfsburg)

Quote, originally posted by 93wolfsburg »
i got your diff right here just pay for shipping and its yours my zip is 21158 and the diff weighs about 10lbs if i'm off on the weight i'll make up the diff in shipping costs

Yo! How much do you need to ship it to 85032 in Phx AZ, or 85260 in Scottsdale AZ???
Also, is paypal cool?
BTW, it's mad cool of you to do this for us all.

Good karma will soon find you my friend.

LSD!
COMING TO A TRANI NEAR YOU!

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (Evilclown)

Quote, originally posted by Evilclown »
What about Phantom Grip? Sport Compact Car has used them and loves 'em. For $350, it'd be a good alternative.

That's all fine and dandy, but we need to know for which model to buy the LSD for. There is no 'FOX' option.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts