VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whos got it? I'm looking at using this in conjunction with an aftermarket chip like an upsolute Big Turbo file.
I need the EO1, harness and does it come with the display?
Anyone using this with success on a DBC car?
Any input would be excellent even bumps http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Clay

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
Re: ** Official Greddy E01 Emanage thread** (Rippinralf)

this was a hot mod about eight months ago, then everyone started selling them. dunno why, maybe people never tapped its full potential.
saw my first C6 today http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
265 Posts

i highly doubt this would work. It uses the same concept as a APEX-i S-AFC which is to modify the MAF or MAP signal to the ECU. But thanks to VW our cars:
1. Have both MAP and MAF
2. Have learning ecus
so basicly even if you unplug the MAF and modify the MAP signal the ecu will correct the settings to the car is back to stock
My .02

·
Registered
7,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: ** Official Greddy E01 Emanage thread** (Sideout)

Quote, originally posted by Sideout »
i highly doubt this would work. It uses the same concept as a APEX-i S-AFC which is to modify the MAF or MAP signal to the ECU. But thanks to VW our cars:
1. Have both MAP and MAF
2. Have learning ecus
so basicly even if you unplug the MAF and modify the MAP signal the ecu will correct the settings to the car is back to stock
My .02

See this my situation, I have no MAP sensor
I have a 1999 Audi 1.8T motor swapped into a MKIII Chasis. There are a few euro guys running the E-manage that post here regularly, and they are having success.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts

There's absolutely no reason it can't be done. ANY piggyback can be used to control what you want and leave the factory ecu to control what you don't. I'm just saying you don't have to use EVERY function a piggyback has to offer. Just use what is neccessary...such as fueling and timing. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I think with the euroguy that is running it, it was all just a matter of figuring out how to wire it up for our cars and how to set up the system to read it.

Modified by barelyboosting1.8t at 2:40 AM 9-28-2004

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Re: ** Official Greddy E01 Emanage thread** (Raman Gain)

Quote, originally posted by Raman Gain »
this was a hot mod about eight months ago, then everyone started selling them. dunno why, maybe people never tapped its full potential.

there were 2 people down here in Miami running them. One sold his car, the other sold his mods. Then there was the first REVO BT car using it in the beginning to control boost (joey50 I believe) but then was sold to unknown reasons.
I have one in the closet (I know I have said that probably freaking 20 times already and its still not installed).
As I posted in the other thread regarding capabilities:
1. Control boost based on gear/rpm
2. Ability to have low boost setting with boost bleed for smooth partial throttle
3. Ability to switch between 3 different boost settings on the fly
4. Log Data (this one is for you)
5. Ability to clamp the MAP at any voltage adjustable through the e-01 controls
6. Up to 3 additional inputsl one using one of the greddy warning gauges and then 2 other voltage inputs allowing you to connect things such as EGT, Oil temp and Air Fuel. Combine that with APR ECU explorer (due to high sampling rates) and you will be able to overlay Requested boost/actual boost/actual boost ecu sees/timing/egt/oil temp/intake temp/timing retard
I think just because of the logging capabilities its a must have.
Did not meant to jack the thread regarding the emanage but the E-01 kind of goes hand in hand. According to Ian (WhiteG60) PassatG60 has it working 90% on his car.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1602864
Here is another very helpful link for anything greddy emanage and profec e-01
http://www.mohdparts.com/emanage/
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif and yeah I am a greddy freak. Have 5 60mm electronic warning gauges. Waiting for the last one to show up on ebay so I can snatch it away.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: ** Official Greddy E01 Emanage thread** (Sideout)

Quote, originally posted by Sideout »
1. Have both MAP and MAF
2. Have learning ecus
My .02

I posted in the other emanage thread also but will give my two cents here as well. I had a turbo IS300 before I got my GTI. There are not too many ECU's out there that are more intrusive than the multiplex Lexus used. I had no problem getting it to work. The secret is to use the extra injector feature along with the MAF clamp. I won't get into the specific details here but if anyone is interested in how it works feel free to IM me.
However, I sold one of these setups along with the E01 and in my opinion, the E01 is not worth the money. It is way too expensive for a boost controller and does a poor job when it comes to controlling the e-manage. You're better off buying the support tool for the extra 120 and plugging the e-manage into a laptop, and using an MBC to control boost.

·
Registered
7,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: ** Official Greddy E01 Emanage thread** (bpointer)

Quote, originally posted by bpointer »

I posted in the other emanage thread also but will give my two cents here as well. I had a turbo IS300 before I got my GTI. There are not too many ECU's out there that are more intrusive than the multiplex Lexus used. I had no problem getting it to work. The secret is to use the extra injector feature along with the MAF clamp. I won't get into the specific details here but if anyone is interested in how it works feel free to IM me.
However, I sold one of these setups along with the E01 and in my opinion, the E01 is not worth the money. It is way too expensive for a boost controller and does a poor job when it comes to controlling the e-manage. You're better off buying the support tool for the extra 120 and plugging the e-manage into a laptop, and using an MBC to control boost.

Okay, i will heed your advice, I have a laptop to use, I will avoid the E01 and use the profec B spec II i have already.
I will shoot you an IM soon.

thanx more info the better

·
Registered
3,231 Posts

all i know...is..that the e-01 looks SXE!!!!!
Tweeked337 had it on his GTi on stock turbo...about 1.5 yrs. ago.....it worked pretty good http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Re: ** Official Greddy E01 Emanage thread** (Boost_GTi)

Clay, I think it should work on a DBC car, all bad experiences where on DBW engines, we don't have map sensor, so all the fueling information comes from the maf signal which you happen to be altering. Don't know how are you going to fight the damn learning O2 sensors though

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Re: ** Official Greddy E01 Emanage thread** (27psiBoom)

But if you're going to control only maf signal then why don't you just get the S-AFC instead of the e-manage, just run a MBC and focus on the fueling http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
24,078 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 27psiBoom »
But if you're going to control only maf signal then why don't you just get the S-AFC instead of the e-manage, just run a MBC and focus on the fueling http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Several reasons not ot get an AFC over a piggyback.
1 the AFC costs almost as much but does not do as much.
2 the AFC has limited set rpm points that are fairly broad this is a huge problem because we have set points in our stock/chipped fuel curves where it suddenly dumps fuel
3 the AFC only lets you adjust based on rpm and throttle position. Most piggybacks allow it to be adjusted by both rpm, boost and throttle position. For example the one I use has 16rpm points, 8 boost points and then you have a multiplier if you'd like of another 16 rpm points.

Now some other info.. Our cars do not react perfectly to these devices. I've been using one for months now and I also have one installed on a customers car.. As it was said in this thread or one of the ones linked to... our cars are picky.. very picky. One of the biggest problems is at about 4K rpm there is a switch over point with the fueling. If you look at any dyno for a chipped car or a stock car the A/F stays very lean till about 4K rpm.. the at 4K rpm it just dumps fuel in. This becomes exagerated when you put a big turbo on.. people feak out that its tuned poorly and that its so lean down low.. but no one really ever looks at the stock/chipped ones and sees that it does the same thing, its a characteristic of the ECU to try and remain as fuel effcient as it can for as long as possible.. Now from my test I have installed a piggyback in a AWD and an AWP.. my AWD does not have this shart drop off to way rich at 4K rpm.. its there but it is not as dramatic. On this customers car it is very dramatic at 4K and its is very difficult to try and control this and pull back some fuel. I will have that car on the dyno whithin two weeks hopefully and get that sorted out, just was getting to risky on the street.. The owner of the car had it dyno'ed after my last attempt and it still has the huge drop off. I can counter it however what you end up doing is freaking out the ECU.. so at that rpm point there is a hesitation because it has no idea what to do with the dramatic change in the MAF signal.

The next issue is the timing... I have done alot of work trying to get the timing feature to work. I still havea few more things to try but the problem I am running into at the moment is HEAT... not the unit over heating.. or the car over heating.. but the signal being dropped when engine bay temps increase.
What you need to remember is that a piggyback works by interrupting the signal from a sensor.. diverting it to the piggyback..the piggyback altering the signal.. then it being sent back out to ECU with the new altered signal.. So basically for a maf signal if you want more fuel... it comes in saying 100g/s which is say 3 volts.. You want to richen it up so you want it to think its got 120g/s.. so you add like 10 units.. each unit represents a certain voltage increase or decrease so not its outputting say 3.3 volts to equal 120g/s. This is very simple for a maf signal.. the crank position sensor is what you're modifying for timing adjustments and the signal you're modifying is not so simple... MAny cars this feature cannot work on.. Some only allow you to advance or retard. Our cars we luck out and have a 60/2 crank wheel and thats the best kind for this sort of thing...It gives you timing accuracy to 1.5 degrees and in theory you can retard it or advance it.
The Problem I have run into started well before I even tried to change timing. At first with the PBU (piggyback unit for ease of typing) was located next to the ECU in the rain tray... When sitting in traffic for only a few minutes the heat from the exhaust/turbo would rise and cause the crank signal to be lost so the car would stall out for a milisecond and restart.. this stalling and started left unburnt fuel in the cylinders and the exhaust and would result in back fires that sounded like gun shots (not a good thing when in traffic on a bridge in the tristate area in these times...) So I figured it was just the heat on the unit so I relocated it inside the car... Well that didnt' change a thing so I tried a different unit and harness.. still no fix.. Basically once you sit still for even 2 minutes the heat from the engine bay causes something to freak out. I can tap into the wire to get the rpm signal for the unit.. but once I cut the wire and heat is introdcued to those wires the signal is lost sporadically. I gave up on this for the time being instead of wastign my time on something that may not have ever worked and started working on other aspects the PBU is capable of like converting the maf to a map
... Any information I could find of PBUs being used in europe were on cable cars (or cars where they did not specify) so I just kind of brushed it off to something that our ECUs are too sensitive about. But maybe I'll take a look at it again.
And I'd like to say that doing the maf to map conversion islike tunign standalone with your eyes closed. you need to do everything you do to tune a stand alone.. but you have a base program that youc ant' see what its doing fighting your every step... very annoying..
If the rain holds off today and I can figure out my fueling problem I'll try the timing adjustment aspect of the PBU again.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 27psiBoom »

Even as just a MAF altering device the e-manage plus support tool is far superior to an AFC. In conjunction with a laptop and support tool the e-manage gives you a 16X16 fuel map that can be referenced by a few different variables. Now my experience with the e-manage was with using extra injectors so it gave me absolute control over the fueling with reference to boost pressure rather than air flow. I clamped the MAF signal at 4.5 volts and then used the boost pressure sensor on the e-manage to dictate how much fuel the extras were putting in. The AFR stayed in the range where the O2 sensors were happy and the MAF never read over where the ECU wanted to see it. In the end, I had a car that was making 325whp on 7psi of boost with an uber smart ECU that never knew what was going on. The e-manage also gives you the ability to data log on the laptop so that you can periodically check on your primary injector duty cycles and pulse widths so that you can be sure that it is not trying to alter anything. Mine never did and ultimately you are controlling extra gas over stock capability with injectors that the ECU has no control over anyway. It is really easy to do, you just have to think like the ECU to figure out how to show it what it wants to see.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.