VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
2821 - 2840 of 2878 Posts

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
stacking the stock pad on top of the audi pad didn't work. In order to get them to sit flush together, i had to remove too much material from the center of the stock pad so that once it was placed on the car there was too much slop against the mount point for my liking. Anyone know of a thicker pad than the audi part?

Edit: I tried a different cutting method on the other factory pad I had laying around and I think it will work. Planning to get two new factory pads on Monday and try again. One on the left is the picture is my first attempt, right is the second attempt. View attachment 95097
This would be the next option...available in either 3/8" or 3/4". I tried these before and they fit/work too, btw

Here's a comparison pic....3/4", 3/8", TT spring pad, stock pad, and then a (thinnest) MQB spring pad:

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
Lowering Gods, I need your help here. I have a 2020 SEL and want to drop it a bit. ECS Tuning shows nothing for the B7.5 Passat which I find unbelievable. Quite a bit for the B7.

As with most of my old VW's, lots of parts would cross over. I was thinking either Eibach 85105.140, or H&R 54760-55 if I was going to keep my stock shocks and struts (the car is only a few months old), and may go a bit lower with H&R 54763 if I added aftermarket shocks and struts. Will any of these work with my 2020?

My last Passat was a 2006 Sport that had the factory lowered suspension and I had used Vogtland springs with the stock struts and the ride was amazeballs. I'd love to duplicate that if possible. Is there an OEM lowering strut available?

Thanks in advance.
It's the same suspension parts for the refreshed Passat still (aka they'll fit)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Finally installed my H&R Sport springs today. I also put in the upper TT springs caps in the rear as well because I don't want any kind of reverse rake that I've seen on others with H&R. Rides awesome! I do have a few pops when turning fully left and right like when in a parking lot so I need to figure that out. Love the look! Wheels will come later.

·
Registered
73 Posts
New
H&R Lowering Sport Springs
20' x 8" VW Monteray Wheels (Powder Coated Gloss Black)
235/35/20 Pirelli P Zero Tires
No Rubbing, Gonna probably add some spacers

I had originally ordered some 245/35/20 Toyo Proxes Sport tires but I got one new Pirelli with the wheels so I just bought 3 more of the 235/35 Pirellis, Kinda wished I would have stuck with the 245's....

View attachment 90345

Dude, this is awesome! How is the ride with the 235/35's? I just dropped mine on H&R Sports and am thinking of the same wheels actually but not sure I'll like the additional bumps from that small of the tire. I was also thinking of 19's with 235/40 for the additional tire. Although in reality, not sure I'll feel a difference.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Did you replace the strut bearings when you installed the springs?

I did not. The car only has 9k on the clock and didn't think they needed to be changed. Could that be the popping? If so, why would changing them out make a difference with so little mileage on the car?

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
I did not. The car only has 9k on the clock and didn't think they needed to be changed. Could that be the popping? If so, why would changing them out make a difference with so little mileage on the car?
YUP!
Even if the car was a few months old or brand new, I still swap in new strut bearings. They're supposed to be changed (per VW) whenever you take the strut assembly apart.

The strut bearing is the ONLY moving part on the strut (minus the strut shaft). It allows the spring to stay stationary, but the strut assembly to turn when you turn the wheel. So if the spring is popping, the strut bearing isn't doing it's job and the spring is binding instead.

Swap them out & torque the strut nut down properly & the noise should be gone (y)

·
Registered
73 Posts
YUP!
Even if the car was a few months old or brand new, I still swap in new strut bearings. They're supposed to be changed (per VW) whenever you take the strut assembly apart.

The strut bearing is the ONLY moving part on the strut (minus the strut shaft). It allows the spring to stay stationary, but the strut assembly to turn when you turn the wheel. So if the spring is popping, the strut bearing isn't doing it's job and the spring is binding instead.

Swap them out & torque the strut nut down properly & the noise should be gone (y)

That's so crazy to me. I would only think they'd need to be changed if they were worn. Damn. I've already had my alignment too. Is it possible to sway them without taking everything apart again?

Is it just the bearing that needs to be swapped or the strut mount as well?

Thanks.

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
That's so crazy to me. I would only think they'd need to be changed if they were worn. Damn. I've already had my alignment too. Is it possible to sway them without taking everything apart again?

Is it just the bearing that needs to be swapped or the strut mount as well?

Thanks.
You gotta take it all apart again, unfortunately

That said....did you trim your bump stops (front & rear), or use shorter ones, when you did the spring install?

I'd reuse the strut mounts...just get new bearings (these are the OEM supplier to VW, minus the VW price markup):

·
Registered
2020 Passat R Line Tourmaline Blue / 2018 Passat R Line White
204 Posts
Finally installed my H&R Sport springs today. I also put in the upper TT springs caps in the rear as well because I don't want any kind of reverse rake that I've seen on others with H&R. Rides awesome! I do have a few pops when turning fully left and right like when in a parking lot so I need to figure that out. Love the look! Wheels will come later.

View attachment 113003
so this is just with lower springs. thats I think what I want to do to my stock 2020. just to take the wheel gap out.

I dont want to "tuck" my wheels under the fenders at all.

For people that do have the car lowered to where your tires are tucked into the fenders.....how do you tun with that wheel up in that front fender like that??? its gotta rub?? or is it just an elusion.....looks like you would not be able to turn or esp turn and hit a bump like a gutter into a driveway??????

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not tucked but have minor rubbing at sudden impact. Just take it slow to avoid ripping out the wheel well splash guard

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
You gotta take it all apart again, unfortunately

That said....did you trim your bump stops (front & rear), or use shorter ones, when you did the spring install?

I'd reuse the strut mounts...just get new bearings (these are the OEM supplier to VW, minus the VW price markup):

Well that really sucks a fatty. I'll suppose I'll just deal with it for a while then since I don't feel like spending another $100 on a second alignment. Wife would be like WTF? Thanks for the link, I'll get them and hold on to them for a while I suppose.

No trimming of any bump stops either.

·
Registered
90 Posts

Finally joining the lowered fun. Still have tweaking to do. Already adjusted the backs almost all the way down, and raised left front a quarter inch. May have to raise it more. I noticed the car leaned to the left on the stock suspension, and it still wants to with the the new coilovers all set equally.

Solo werks s1 - so far not bad. We’ll see how they last.
Advanti 18x8 I think et 45. I want some spacers.

Have noises on hard slow turns, just barely though (did have to tighten a loose end link tho) light creaking and pop. Maybe a bushing I dunno. Happy so far.

Edit I didn’t change the bearings either damnit. So if it’s that ima deal with it for a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
so this is just with lower springs. thats I think what I want to do to my stock 2020. just to take the wheel gap out.

I dont want to "tuck" my wheels under the fenders at all.

For people that do have the car lowered to where your tires are tucked into the fenders.....how do you tun with that wheel up in that front fender like that??? its gotta rub?? or is it just an elusion.....looks like you would not be able to turn or esp turn and hit a bump like a gutter into a driveway??????

Yup, just the springs. I did use the TT upper spring pads in the rear and the drop is completely even. H&R spring tend to have a bit of reverse rake and I didn't want that.

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
Well that really sucks a fatty. I'll suppose I'll just deal with it for a while then since I don't feel like spending another $100 on a second alignment. Wife would be like WTF? Thanks for the link, I'll get them and hold on to them for a while I suppose.

No trimming of any bump stops either.
Gotcha....that should cure it though

As for the bump stops....trim them while you're in there too ;)
(the rears more so than the front though--with the H&R's there was little travel left until it hit the bump stop in the rear, which makes for a rough(er) ride)

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
Finally joining the lowered fun. Still have tweaking to do. Already adjusted the backs almost all the way down, and raised left front a quarter inch. May have to raise it more. I noticed the car leaned to the left on the stock suspension, and it still wants to with the the new coilovers all set equally.

Solo werks s1 - so far not bad. We’ll see how they last.
Advanti 18x8 I think et 35. I want some spacers.

Have noises on hard slow turns, just barely though (did have to tighten a loose end link tho) light creaking and pop. Maybe a bushing I dunno. Happy so far.

Edit I didn’t change the bearings either damnit. So if it’s that ima deal with it for a bit

Don't bother trying to set them "equally".....they'll all be set different, if you want even gap and/or a certain stance.
My passenger side would usually be max'd out, for example, and the driver's side would be 10 threads up or something to get it even.

And yeah, you should've replaced the bearings too lol

·
Registered
90 Posts
Don't bother trying to set them "equally".....they'll all be set different, if you want even gap and/or a certain stance.
My passenger side would usually be max'd out, for example, and the driver's side would be 10 threads up or something to get it even.

And yeah, you should've replaced the bearings too lol
Yessir seeing that big time. Looking like I’ll probably end up 10 threads different left to right as well.

I’m thinking, I may just drive these for a year then I’ll find an excuse to upgrade them and do everything better/fresher. We’ll see how that goes tho. After tightening the loose end link it’s mostly quiet.

I’m enjoying tinkering a lot. I’m really wish I would have started the hobby years ago but oh well. Finding every excuse to get in there now.

·
Registered
90 Posts
So this is all the way down (just set and drive for a few minutes) on this corner. I see people with certain cars looking much lower than this with these solo werks. the front will go too low for my liking and the back won’t go low enough.

It’s only been about 5 days and a couple hundred miles maybe they will still settle more. Or I maybe consider removing the rear adjustable perches for a thinner rubber perch. Though, I’d have to use a thicker perch on the driver side to make them equal…..

Ideally, I stop caring in a few days and just drive it lol

That’s about 26.75 and I’d really like it to be 25.75 like the fronts

2821 - 2840 of 2878 Posts