VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
621 - 640 of 2953 Posts

·
Registered
17,092 Posts
H&R Sports Springs:

I don't know if anyone has experienced this, but I'm getting a periodic noise in the left front area (mainly under braking). I had the shop take a look to make sure nothing was loose, and the tech said that the coils (top three) seemed to be rubbing and wearing off the paint. Any thoughts?
The dead coils lay on each other.....common with progressive springs

But the noise under braking seems totally unrelated, because the dead coils are always on top of each other and the noise would be constant if it was the springs

·
Registered
17,092 Posts
Pics with my HPA SHS coilovers installed & TSW Interlagos wheels with 225/45/18's

Before:

IMG_4602 by snobrdrdan2, on Flickr

IMG_4594 by snobrdrdan2, on Flickr

IMG_4598 by snobrdrdan2, on Flickr

After:

IMG_4664 by snobrdrdan2, on Flickr

IMG_4662 by snobrdrdan2, on Flickr

IMG_4668 by snobrdrdan2, on Flickr

IMG_4660 by snobrdrdan2, on Flickr

IMPORTANT NOTE: You have to trim the fender liners so the tie rod boots don't hit & rub on the the fender liner!! Just the part that hangs down below the frame.

Passenger side...Before:

IMG_4630 by snobrdrdan2, on Flickr

After:

IMG_4633 by snobrdrdan2, on Flickr

Driver side....Before:

IMG_4637 by snobrdrdan2, on Flickr

After:

IMG_4638 by snobrdrdan2, on Flickr

·
Registered
17,092 Posts
Thnx so much snobrdrdan why are you riding on? And how do you like them?
HPA SHS coilovers
(made by KW for HPA)

If you're looking to get low & comfortable....I'd probably go with the Koni coilovers (for the MK5):
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...!!!-Ends-9-1-14-www-WRDUSA-com&highlight=koni

If you're looking for my height above (no wheel gap)...granted I have shorter tires than stock as well....then the HPA's are really comfy for everyday. Kinda pricey when not on sale though.

jafische just put a set of HPA's on his Passat too (in Florida)...he said he likes them as well....maybe pay him a visit & take a ride:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...sat-Thread&p=86138047&viewfull=1#post86138047

A bunch of CC guys are running them too and love them.

They're the same as the more expensive KW V1's and similar to ST's (minus the stainless body) except they have a better ride for the street.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
HPA SHS coilovers
(made by KW for HPA)

If you're looking to get low & comfortable....I'd probably go with the Koni coilovers (for the MK5):
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...!!!-Ends-9-1-14-www-WRDUSA-com&highlight=koni

If you're looking for my height above (no wheel gap)...granted I have shorter tires than stock as well....then the HPA's are really comfy for everyday. Kinda pricey when not on sale though.

jafische just put a set of HPA's on his Passat too (in Florida)...he said he likes them as well....maybe pay him a visit & take a ride:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...sat-Thread&p=86138047&viewfull=1#post86138047

A bunch of CC guys are running them too and love them.

They're the same as the more expensive KW V1's and similar to ST's (minus the stainless body) except they have a better ride for the street.
Thnx for the comprehensive info was thinking about Meagan Euro Series... Because there adjustable but your write up has made me rethink it.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I'm riding on Megan Euro Streets and loving them, if that helps at all. Mind you it's only been about two weeks but handling-wise as well as aesthetically, there is a huge improvement.
Were did you buy them from?
Imput is much appreciated,
How low did you go?
How is it riding over the bumps of the Northeast? From nyc and dive up there at least three times a year so a little concerned about that.

Thnx

Jbrat

·
Registered
148 Posts
Were did you buy them from?
Imput is much appreciated,
How low did you go?
How is it riding over the bumps of the Northeast? From nyc and dive up there at least three times a year so a little concerned about that.

Thnx

Jbrat
Currently sitting at 26"FTG in front and 26.3"FTG in rear, on stock 18" Bristols with stock tire size. Gonna stay this high for the winter and then drop it a bit more come spring time.

I bought them new in the box from a Vortex member who purchased them and never installed them; got 'em for $750. I would've gone with these Megans had I not seen the ad on the Classifieds page, it just happened to be right place right time. I have read many really positive reviews of these, both on the B7 forums and elsewhere. The only negative thing I saw was that people who used them for track use discouraged doing so; I believe one person may have blown a shock. That said, I have 0 intentions of tracking this car, and, as the name of the coilover suggests, I will be sticking to the 'street'.

I drive through Philly every day and the roads are pretty ****ty, but the roads around my parents' house in the burbs are even worse. The Megans handle them beautifully; yes, it's a tad bumpier than stock over bumpy sections, but that's par for the course. From a very non-quantitative estimate, I'd say my new suspension is ~45% ±10% stiffer than stock. Dampening is currently set to about halfway. Might go a bit stiffer but we'll see.

Aesthetically, as you might imagine, the car looks way better. I also threw some spacers on so the Bristols (yes, still stock for now) sit nice and flush with little wheel gap. Looks fantastic. I'll snap a few pics once it stops raining and I can wash it.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. Like I said, it's only been two-ish weeks, but so far so great.

621 - 640 of 2953 Posts