VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33060 Posts

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
Well...Just about 4 weeks 'til pitchers and catchers report. Giants got eliminated last week. I get more of a baseball itch by the day. Figured it was time to retire the "Officially Worried" thread...
So...Below are all transactions made during the offseason (so far). Im pretty happy with the moves made this year. Im psyched to see Johnny Damon play in pinstripes. Equally happy that Kevin Brown is a distant memory. Chacon and Wang Im looking forward to seeing more of. Cano...I hope continues to develop.
? marks = RJ, Moose...and can Rivera continue to dominate.
RHP Octavio Dotel (free agency/OAK)
RHP Kyle Farnsworth (free agency/ATL)
*OF Ben Himes (trade/CIN)
*INF Kevin Howard (trade/CIN)
LHP Mike Myers (free agency/BOS)
C Kelly Stinnett (free agency/ARI)
LHP Ron Villone (trade/FLA)
RHP Tom Gordon (free agency/PHI)
*LHP Ben Julianel (trade/FLA)
OF Matt Lawton (free agency/SEA)
LHP Darrell May (free agency/MIN)
INF-OF Tony Womack (trade/CIN)
REMAINING FREE AGENTS
RHP Kevin Brown, LHP Alan Embree, 1B Tino Martinez, #RHP Ramiro Mendoza, RHP Felix Rodriguez, 2B Rey Sanchez, DH Ruben Sierra

Modified by HarvVAG at 3:01 PM 1-2-2007

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
Re: OFFICIAL: 2006 New York Yankees Thread (beng)

I think the Yanks also signed Mendoza to a minor league contract no??
They also signed Ben Davis a catcher to a minor league deal. He is best known for breaking up a 8th inning no hitter by Curt Schilling when he pitched for Zona with a bunt. Curt wasn't to happy about that.
Damon is obviously a huge upgrade over Bernie but I think Myers might prove to be one of the best additions being we had 0 reliable lefty arms last year.
Again this year just like last year I want to see do well is Wright.
Starting the year off with a healthy Giambi will be nice too.

·
Registered
2016 AMG C63S
6,159 Posts

All in all, I think the Yankees have had a pretty good off season, but what's the plan to replace the 80+ innings from Gordon in the set-up role? Is it supposed to be a Farnsworth/Dotel tandum, with the hopes that Dotel is healthy again? Just curious, I don't read the NY papers much.

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
Re: OFFICIAL: 2006 New York Yankees Thread (nobbyv)

Quote, originally posted by nobbyv »
All in all, I think the Yankees have had a pretty good off season, but what's the plan to replace the 80+ innings from Gordon in the set-up role? Is it supposed to be a Farnsworth/Dotel tandum, with the hopes that Dotel is healthy again? Just curious, I don't read the NY papers much.

Dotel won't be around early on so instead of Sturze and Gordon it will be Sturtze and Farnsy. Difference being that they will now have help from 2 lefties as well.
When healthy I think the go to guys out of the pen setup like this.
Sturtze,Dotel, Farnsworth,Mo
with the lefties doing there thing.

Modified by g60rabbit at 1:06 PM 1-11-2006

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Farnsworth is their plan as a Gordon replacement...with help from Myers and Villone at first...and eventually Dotel...I thought he wouldnt be available until the All Star break though.
Edit to add...totally forgot about Sturtze

Modified by beng at 4:09 PM 1-11-2006

·
Registered
15,256 Posts

If Dotel, Farnsworth and Mo perform to expectations thats a lot of late inning K's.
Dotel I think will be fine with less pressure situations. Who knows how Farnsworth will handle NY but if he performs like he did last year it should be exciting.
I can't wait to see how Cano does.

·
Registered
15,256 Posts

Quote, originally posted by beng »
Edit to add...totally forgot about Sturtze

Modified by beng at 4:09 PM 1-11-2006

Also don't forget we have 7 starters.
RJ
Moose
Pavano
Wang
Chacon
Small
Wright
I use the first 5 in the rotation and put the other guys in the pen. What makes me nervous is that I think Joe is leaning toward putting Wright in the rotation. Although that might be the best place for him because he walks a lot of people. I just want Wang to start.

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
Re: OFFICIAL: 2006 New York Yankees Thread (g60rabbit)

Must suck not having anything to root for other than the Yankees in the NY sportsworld....The Sox coverage is off the map right now and been that way for a while....

·
Registered
10,073 Posts

He won't be ready until at least the break, I'd think. He's certainly a step down from Gordon.

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: OFFICIAL: 2006 New York Yankees Thread (ed rooney)

Quote, originally posted by ed rooney »
Must suck not having anything to root for other than the Yankees in the NY sportsworld....The Sox coverage is off the map right now and been that way for a while....

Its either that or listen to Herm Edwards bashing all day long.
Knicks and Nets have been winning...but basketball does nothing for me...used to be into hockey...until the owners decided to retire the sport for 2 years.

All Ive got left is Giants, Yankees, and MMA.

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
Re: OFFICIAL: 2006 New York Yankees Thread (LONGBEACH24)

Quote, originally posted by LONGBEACH24 »
He won't be ready until at least the break, I'd think. He's certainly a step down from Gordon.

He is step down from Gordon but he is a step up from Sturtze in the 7th inning.

·
Registered
10,073 Posts
Re: OFFICIAL: 2006 New York Yankees Thread (g60rabbit)

Hopefully he can be more consistant for you. He was too up and down last season, but maybe it was the discomfort in the elbow. I mean, he'll never be lights-out but I think he can be great in the 7th inning role.

·
Registered
2016 AMG C63S
6,159 Posts

Hopefully he can be more consistant for you. He was too up and down last season, but maybe it was the discomfort in the elbow. I mean, he'll never be lights-out but I think he can be great in the 7th inning role.

I think if he's healthy Dotal can be lights out. He was for awhile for the A's, he's just had some injury issues past few seasons.

·
Registered
10,073 Posts

Quote, originally posted by nobbyv »

I think if he's healthy Dotal can be lights out. He was for awhile for the A's, he's just had some injury issues past few seasons.

He was with Oakland for less than a season and was never lights out. He's the type of guy that gets the job done most of the time but it's always a stressed filled 9th. He gets in these phases where he loses faith in the slider which is his best pitch. Ask kevin Millar how tough it is to hit a 94mph fastball with no movement.

·
Registered
13,782 Posts

Ask kevin Millar how tough it is to hit a 94mph fastball with no movement.

Eck said it best on the post game show. Dotel isn't a pitcher, he's a thrower. Farnsworth is that way too.

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: OFFICIAL: 2006 New York Yankees Thread (Methalius)

Quote, originally posted by Methalius »

Eck said it best on the post game show. Dotel isn't a pitcher, he's a thrower. Farnsworth is that way too.

So you think their pen is better/worse/or unchanged in quality when compared with 2005?

·
Registered
13,782 Posts

I think they've taken a step back from Gordon. Gordon was a very solid set up man, not great but solid. I'm not a huge fan of Farnsworth. He throws really hard but everything is straight(not much movement). Good hitting teams will hit him hard. He blew up in the playoffs. That doesn't make me feel too good.
I like Myers a lot obviously. He doesn't have great stuff but he is a crafty veteran. I fully expect for him to do his job (get out the tough lefties) if he's used properly.
Dotel has decent stuff but he is too inconsistent. In the past he has been hit hard by good hitting teams. I think once he becomes healthy and if he learns to actually pitch he'll be nasty. That's a big if though.
Right now the Yankees have far and away the best lineup in baseball. I think adding Damon will be huge because he is a great leadoff hitter. I think it will make Jeter that much more valuable because he not only can rake but he does all of the little things too. I could see them scoring well over 1,000 runs. They are going to need to score a lot though because I think their pitching is going to give up a lot of runs.

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: OFFICIAL: 2006 New York Yankees Thread (Methalius)

Maybe Randy Johnson wins 20 this year?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts

Yeah...and maybe Curt Schilling does too

·
Registered
13,782 Posts

Well, he is a freak so it isn't out of the range of possibility. I think Moose and Johnson will have decent seasons. It remains to be seen if Pavano will have a decent year though. I think you should expect nothing from Wright (consider it a big bonus if he pitches well) , I think you should expect Small to return to earth and Chacon to as well. I think Wang is the real deal.
The biggest linch pin remains Mariano Rivera. If he goes down at all the Yankees are going to be in big trouble.

Modified by Methalius at 9:57 AM 1-12-2006

1 - 20 of 33060 Posts