VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

33001 - 33020 of 33060 Posts

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
You're spewing individual stats off to me doesnt trump the fact this offense scores as much as dudes at a magic the gathering convention. To use a phrase by college football coaching late great Bo Schembechler, "The Team, The Team, The Team." They used to regularly score like 700 runs a season. Where they at now? I remember when they used to beat teams 16-15 because their pitching sucked but they were the Bronx bombers. Now they have ample pitching, and score as much as a NL team.

Also, obligatory " Shut up, G60." :laugh:

No the stats don't trump the fact that the offense has trouble scoring. They just show that the reason they aren't scoring has nothing to do with age which your post suggested.

And shut up your self:p;);););)

Facts are facts man...facts are facts:beer:

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
ugh no ****ing reason to pop champagne for a WC birth
They were picked by many to finish last in the division .....drink away:p

3rd best record in the AL. The team set the all time record for most strikeouts by a bullpen ever in a season.

Arod in the running for comeback player of the year.

Team was painfull to watch at times but hell 3rd best record means other teams had it far worse lol.

I am also going to make my public apology regarding Jacobs ellsbury. I may have been the only one on this forum on board with this signing. Not the money part of it but him as a player.

You guys were right...the dude is made out of glass and now maybe because of injury I don't know but he can't even steal bases.

20 million dollar player sitting in a clinching game because of back stiffness.

Counter that with cc sabathia who has done things like pitch 4 straight games on 3 days rest with brewers, and has gutted it out all this season on a bum knee.

·
Banned
21,195 Posts
There were plenty who were pro jacoby, wish we just kept cano instead.

I give a lot of credit to the jays :beer:

They kept it going all year and imo are going to be tough to beat,they can pitch, hit HRs and are gritty.

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
There were plenty who were pro jacoby, wish we just kept cano instead.

I give a lot of credit to the jays :beer:

They kept it going all year and imo are going to be tough to beat,they can pitch, hit HRs and are gritty.
My hope.

David Price continues his postseason "success" which is a 1-5 record with a near 5 era.

And my other hope is Tanaka reaches legendary status postseason play like El Duque or Pettitte.

A guy can dream:p

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
Tonights the night. Hopefully, they dont get embarassed. Guy they are facing was a 20 game winner with a 2.48 era if memory serves correctly.
My prediction.

The stros pitcher has thrown about 16 shut out innings against us this year. So the yankees will score 10 to night. Win the game, only to be held to 1 or less runs in every game against kc.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Well, they sucked. Tanaka looked good the 1st inning, then slowly imploded. The offense this season was just lol. Can we have Bryce Harper already?

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
Jacoby doesn't get the start. Which I blame him more for then Joe. Then doesn't stick around for the media after.

I hope this eats at him all offseason.

He and Gardner are my 2 biggest disappointments this season.

I was happy with didi, mccann,bird, servino. And overall real happy with the pen until Joe killed it

·
Registered
S4, B8.5, M/T, Stg3
8,201 Posts
I did not expect them to go far based on their performance in the last 10 games, it was like watching a train wreck in slow motion. :banghead:

There was no one who stepped up and performed in a clutch situation, Beltron was as close as we saw in the last bunch of games. I think the turning point for the team was shortly after Tex was done for the season. McCann put up a quick show but ended in a slump, Arod forgot how to hit a ball, so did Gardner and the rest of 1-5.

I'm just disappointed with the entire top of their line up, it's like they were swinging their bats with eyes closed, I've never seen them get so many outs caught looking or swinging on low and away. They just lost it mentally at the end.

I'm not even going into CC quitting before a wild card game or Ellsbury sitting out the last game, come on, this is the season on the line, take an anti-inflammatory, grow some balls, man up and get in the game.

Am I the only one with this view?

-End of rant. :beer:

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
...Ellsbury sitting out the last game, come on, this is the season on the line, take an anti-inflammatory, grow some balls, man up and get in the game.
As I've said a number of times, Ellsbury is fragile and will often sit out rather than play through injury no matter the situation.

That being said, Girardi started Gardener over Ellsbury as the former hits better than then latter vs. lefties.

Unfortunately, the Yankess have Ellsbury for another 5 years and $100 million plus dollars.

·
Registered
S4, B8.5, M/T, Stg3
8,201 Posts
Unfortunately, the Yankess have Ellsbury for another 5 years and $100 million plus dollars.
I just looked at the team contracts and it's scary, we're stuck with most of these aging players for years, this is nuts:
NY Yankees Contracts

Who allowed this happen......Arod until 2018? :eek: I still don't know how McCann will be here until 2020 and as pointed above Ellsbury to 2022. :what:

I assume we're done with CC now. Drew, Capuana, Young and Nova also expire, I suppose Nova is the only one we'll need to renew, the rest...................... next!

:popcorn:

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I just looked at the team contracts and it's scary, we're stuck with most of these aging players for years, this is nuts:
NY Yankees Contracts

Who allowed this happen......Arod until 2018? :eek: I still don't know how McCann will be here until 2020 and as pointed above Ellsbury to 2022. :what:

I assume we're done with CC now. Drew, Capuana, Young and Nova also expire, I suppose Nova is the only one we'll need to renew, the rest...................... next!

Those are the expiration dates of the contracts, not the seasons. It looks like Arod is done after 2017, Tanaka after 2021, Ellsbury after 2020, McCann and Headley to 2018. There may be options there that take them further

Unfortunately, too many teams get excited at the prospect of landing these big players and then regret it after year 2 or 3. Heck, maybe the Sox and Yankees can swap some of those guys for Panda, Ramirez, Porcello, and Ortiz.

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
NY Yankees Contracts

Arods last season will be 2017....he hit 33 homers this year. He had a 3 war which makes him the 3rd best dh in baseball.

Teixeira last season will be next season...he hit 31 homers . Also tied 3rd in war this year.

As it stands being stuck with both those guys for one more year doesn't look terrible. Expensive yes but they can stroll hit at a high level.

McCann was much better this year, lead al catchers in homers are is a real good catcher.. He had about 20 more RBI then the second best catcher. His last year is 2018. 2019 is a club option with no buy out.

Cc has one more year plus a vesting option that he probably won't hit in 2016.

Jacoby sucks....that's all...that's going to be the painfull one because you don't get tougher with age.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
I demand a +.300 BA and 45+ HRs for the money they make. Either that, or dive into every pitch and have an .800 OBP. I mean, what would you do for a $25 Million salary?

Plus, most of those HRs came in non clutch situations. I remember in 2009 it seemed like whenever they needed a hit, they got one. Just sayin...

·
Registered
S4, B8.5, M/T, Stg3
8,201 Posts
Plus, most of those HRs came in non clutch situations. I remember in 2009 it seemed like whenever they needed a hit, they got one. Just sayin...
This is my beef as well, especially with Arod and Tex, seemed when the team was hitting in a game they also hit big and rack up their #'s but when it's a tight game and you need a clutch hit, they don't come thru for us. McCann and Beltron clutched for us numerous times, yes Arod did have a few games as well but with the names, experience and the money they are paid, I expect more.

You're tight in 2009 and other years we saw playoffs, there was always clutch hits from top of the line up but not now.

Outside of Ellsbury, I also question Gardner, yes he is fast at both base running and fielding but for someone they were going to trade at the start of the season, who was now in the top 3 order, he's not delivered the OBP I expected to see out of him and I'm a fan is his gameplay in general.

Another name, Didi, I still don't know what to make of him, wasn't he the one who left 10 RISP's last week and was 0-5 at bat? I mean he is only 25, had a .265 this year and has potential but there is no consistency there on offense and he's not filling Jeter's shoes on defense either, so is he one of those guys who will get better with experience or is this the best we saw in him?

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Cashman had the chance to get big name players by giving up the farm. He didn't. Now, he looks like a fool. In a few years, who knows
I think Severino is a top of rotation pitcher. He would have been bye bye to get Price. I think he's currently only slightly under Price, with a higher upside. Yankees could have got Tulowitzki, but that would have cost Aaron Judge, the best prospect. If he becomes the next Mike Trout, Cashman is a genius. If Judge becomes a Jesus Montero, then we must kill Cashman.

It's a gamble, but with all the aging veterans moments away from senility and pooping their pants, I think Cashman made the right call and I can deal with a mediocre season.

33001 - 33020 of 33060 Posts