VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

33021 - 33040 of 33060 Posts

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
This is my beef as well, especially with Arod and Tex, seemed when the team was hitting in a game they also hit big and rack up their #'s but when it's a tight game and you need a clutch hit, they don't come thru for us. McCann and Beltron clutched for us numerous times, yes Arod did have a few games as well but with the names, experience and the money they are paid, I expect more.

You're tight in 2009 and other years we saw playoffs, there was always clutch hits from top of the line up but not now.

Outside of Ellsbury, I also question Gardner, yes he is fast at both base running and fielding but for someone they were going to trade at the start of the season, who was now in the top 3 order, he's not delivered the OBP I expected to see out of him and I'm a fan is his gameplay in general.

Another name, Didi, I still don't know what to make of him, wasn't he the one who left 10 RISP's last week and was 0-5 at bat? I mean he is only 25, had a .265 this year and has potential but there is no consistency there on offense and he's not filling Jeter's shoes on defense either, so is he one of those guys who will get better with experience or is this the best we saw in him?
Didi hit .300 with a .345 obp after the all star break.

Arod high leverage situations .289/.398/.588

They showed a stat a couple times this year. I think it was that he has the most game tying and go ahead home runs in late innings then any in yankee history.

Teix I'm not sure about but i think he actually had a good season in "clutch" spots.

If you want to throw up. Check out gardners splits this year and last pre and post all star.

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
Cashman had the chance to get big name players by giving up the farm. He didn't. Now, he looks like a fool. In a few years, who knows
I think Severino is a top of rotation pitcher. He would have been bye bye to get Price. I think he's currently only slightly under Price, with a higher upside. Yankees could have got Tulowitzki, but that would have cost Aaron Judge, the best prospect. If he becomes the next Mike Trout, Cashman is a genius. If Judge becomes a Jesus Montero, then we must kill Cashman.

It's a gamble, but with all the aging veterans moments away from senility and pooping their pants, I think Cashman made the right call and I can deal with a mediocre season.

Servino would have been in the price deal, and price by the way just went to 1-6 with a 5 era in the postseason and will be a fa any next year.

Troy hit like .230 since the trade.

Cueto is pitching now and given up 3 runs in 2 innings.

Crazy that tanakas 2 runs un 5 innings is like the second best performance by a starter so far lol

·
Registered
16,406 Posts
Those are the expiration dates of the contracts, not the seasons. It looks like Arod is done after 2017, Tanaka after 2021, Ellsbury after 2020, McCann and Headley to 2018. There may be options there that take them further

Unfortunately, too many teams get excited at the prospect of landing these big players and then regret it after year 2 or 3. Heck, maybe the Sox and Yankees can swap some of those guys for Panda, Ramirez, Porcello, and Ortiz.
ARod looks like a bargain. $20 million for 33 HR. Ellsbury is good for 60 days on the DL and .250. What's the problem? :)

Panda has 4 years left from a 5/$95 contract. Hanley Ramirez has 3 years left on a 4/$88 contract. Rick Porcello has 3 years left on a 4/$82 contract. And you wonder why Larry Lucchino was fired? It's pretty clear these were his moves, not Ben Cherington. Watching those three will be about as painful as watching Matt Clement pitch with the bases loaded.

The Sox will certainly pay Ortiz for his 2016 option year and have a 2017 option at the same numbers as 2016. They'll have one Jeter year where they're overpaying him in the year he's announced his retirement. I just hope it's not a Jim Rice level of decline.

·
Registered
9,531 Posts
Ortiz' 2016 option year was automatically triggered when he reached 425 plate appearances and his 614 appearances gets him $16 million for next year. 2017 is a club option.

Now back to the NYY's.

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
Well Price drops another post season game. Now he is 2-7 with about a 5.5 era. Something like 35 runs in 56 innings.

I would still take him as he would atLeast help us get to the postseason, but would hold my breath every time he took the ball.

So glad it was the jays that gave up prospects and not us.

·
Registered
9,531 Posts
Zack Greinke on sale in Aisle 1, Zack Greinke on sale in Aisle 1.

Will Cashman pony up the $125/5 that is expected to be the minimum bid??? That'll take him through his 37th birthday.

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
Zack Greinke on sale in Aisle 1, Zack Greinke on sale in Aisle 1.

Will Cashman pony up the $125/5 that is expected to be the minimum bid??? That'll take him through his 37th birthday.
They tried to get him a few years ago and it was greinke who said he couldn't handle the pressure in ny.

But a left handed pitcher who has done most of his damage in the al east I could see. They have no other long term lefty.

·
Registered
47,288 Posts

·
Registered
S4, B8.5, M/T, Stg3
8,201 Posts
Yeah, I just read about the John Ryan Murphy trade, I thought he was a good back up catcher, although looking at Hicks and his BA, I can see the reason for the trade and it would make sense now to trade Gardner and open up a field position.

Should be interesting on how well the tree will be shaken within the next 60 days!

:popcorn:

33021 - 33040 of 33060 Posts