VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title suggests, I had my transmission oil changed, as maintenance, because it hasn't been done in at least the 2 years I've had the car. I live on a hill, and no flat place to do it, so I had a local shop do it. The point is, now the clutch slips, when it ddidn't before. Is this something that is supposed to happen? Will it correct itself after a day or two, or do I need to crack heads?

· Banned
453 Posts
Re: Oh crap, maybe changing the trasmission oil wasn't such a good idea.... (iosefa)

hahaha thats a funny beginng check and make sure the filled the trans in the right place and not at the timimg plug hahah thats what I would check its the green plug on the trans ....It shouldnt be slipping

· Registered
7,927 Posts
Re: Oh crap, maybe changing the trasmission oil wasn't such a good idea.... (iosefa)

lol nothin wrong with bustin some heads every now and then

I dunno though, I just got a new transmission a few months ago, so I haven't had the pleasure of changing the oil in it yet.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Oh crap, maybe changing the trasmission oil wasn't such a good idea.... (ebluesrt-4)

Quote, originally posted by ebluesrt-4 »
If you read the Bently it states that the transmission fluid doesn't need to be changed.

Technically, you're correct, it does say that. But come on, no fluid is going to be as good as new after 10 years/176,000 miles

· Registered
806 Posts
yes that happened oil in clutch. I know you can throw in some gasoline in there to dry it out. But not sure if gas is a good idea. Spray it with something. My uncle had that happen to his toyota. just add some gas i guess, kinda spray it and take it out for a spin

· Registered
985 Posts

Quote, originally posted by iosefa »

Technically, you're correct, it does say that. But come on, no fluid is going to be as good as new after 10 years/176,000 miles

well did he have the problem before the change?
should have left it alone...now his little preventative maintenance is going to cost him a new clutch.

· Registered
3,827 Posts
Re: Oh crap, maybe changing the trasmission oil wasn't such a good idea.... (ebluesrt-4)

Quote, originally posted by ebluesrt-4 »
If you read the Bently it states that the transmission fluid doesn't need to be changed.

And the fuel filter never has to be changed, and even better the timing chain system never has to be replaced. The Bentley isn't always correct.

· Registered
4,995 Posts
Re: Oh crap, maybe changing the trasmission oil wasn't such a good idea.... (P i m p y 9 7 6)

Find that DIY on how to change the tranny fluid, take it to the mechanic and ask if he wants you to hold his hand this time.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Oh crap, maybe changing the trasmission oil wasn't such a good idea.... (.2.Slow4U.)

Thanks for the input. I'm gonna see if he'll fix it, if not I'll try the gas to dry it out, I'll update in a couple of hours

· Registered
985 Posts

Thanks for the input. I'm gonna see if he'll fix it, if not I'll try the gas to dry it out, I'll update in a couple of hours

I don't think the gas idea is that great of an idea but it's your car, not mine.

· Registered
24,793 Posts
Re: Oh crap, maybe changing the trasmission oil wasn't such a good idea.... (.2.Slow4U.)

I have never heard that you're not supposed to change the transmission fluid.
I've always heard every 30,000ish miles. When i first got my car, with 97k miles, it had a frequent 2nd gear grind. Changed the fluid to Redline MTL and the grind was gone...now..30k later, the grind is back, just about the same time another fluid change is due. I'm not going to change it, because in about 2 weeks ill have a new transmission installed, but the point is, when i changed my tranny fluid, i saw nothing but improvements. I would crack heads, because whoever changed the fluid messed up big time.

· Registered
985 Posts
Re: Oh crap, maybe changing the trasmission oil wasn't such a good idea.... (reynolds9000)

Quote, originally posted by reynolds9000 »

It's in the Bently.

· Registered
5,037 Posts
Re: Oh crap, maybe changing the trasmission oil wasn't such a good idea.... (reynolds9000)

Quote, originally posted by reynolds9000 »
You are correct. It was the autotragics that were supposed to be lifetime. Do not do anything to try and fix your clutch it could possibly worsen it and you could be held responsible! Take it to where you had it done, eplain whats up and see what they are willing to do for you.

· Banned
4,498 Posts

if you think about it it's not being used up. it's just used to lubracate the gears. but it does make a difference when you do get a new tranny because all the shavings and what not are still in there when u put it in. i put mtl90 when i put my new tranny in and it was experienceing some noise under deceleration so i changed the oil once agian and it was much quiter

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.