VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

Registered
21 GTI SE
That thing looks awesome - I'd just be worried about how functional it is. Honestly excited to hear about it...

Have you had experience with one of those, or anyone else reading for that matter?

Registered
2019 GTI Autobahn Deep Black Pearl
about to be cutting the floor pan out from behind the front seats all the way back out. Its gonna be something different 馃榿
Obviously he is going to turn the CC into a widebody mid-engine W2. The MRW.

Edit: W12 I mean. =)

Registered
Discussion Starter #43
Obviously he is going to turn the CC into a widebody mid-engine W2. The MRW.

That thing looks awesome - I'd just be worried about how functional it is. Honestly excited to hear about it...

Have you had experience with one of those, or anyone else reading for that matter?
I've seen quite a few guys on Facebook with them and they have had good experiences with that exact one. There are also a few videos on youtube. Ill for sure post up my thought and stuff on it when it comes it too!

Registered
2016 Golf R DSG
Nahhh 馃榿

In good news I got just my EBC red stuff pads in for the TTRS calipers. Stainless lines will be here tomorrow and then all I need to do is machine the brackets and paint the calipers. My swaybar kit finally shipped as well and will be here friday.

Im also super stoked for this to come in.

View attachment 76338
Im also curious on this. I鈥檝e been going back and forth between this and a factory retrofit from a facelift. Where did you order from?

Registered
Discussion Starter #46
Im also curious on this. I鈥檝e been going back and forth between this and a factory retrofit from a facelift. Where did you order from?
Aliexpress. It says it should be here in 4 days on Monday. This is very fast because it shipped out Tuesday and is coming from Hong Kong. Hopefully, it doesn't get stuck in customs for a while. I went this route over the OEM+ retrofit as I am MIB1 and it would have been very costly to upgrade to MIB2 and then do that as well. I'll most likely gets a matching android head unit. I've had a few before and I only use them for Android Auto and they work very well for that. As long as you don't cheap out and buy the cheapest one you can find.

I use to be way more into detailing but the last couple of years I have fallen away from that. Decided I really wanted to get back into it, especially with the mk7. I just picked up a Karcher K1700 Cube. Waiting on my MTM SGS28 Gun and foam cannon to come in along with a 50ft hose. We have a little side room on our house that just stores a lawnmower and some yard tools. I'm going to turn it into a little detailing spot and have the pressure washer wall mounted in there.

Registered
2016 Golf R DSG
Aliexpress. It says it should be here in 4 days on Monday. This is very fast because it shipped out Tuesday and is coming from Hong Kong. Hopefully, it doesn't get stuck in customs for a while. I went this route over the OEM+ retrofit as I am MIB1 and it would have been very costly to upgrade to MIB2 and then do that as well. I'll most likely gets a matching android head unit. I've had a few before and I only use them for Android Auto and they work very well for that. As long as you don't cheap out and buy the cheapest one you can find.

I use to be way more into detailing but the last couple of years I have fallen away from that. Decided I really wanted to get back into it, especially with the mk7. I just picked up a Karcher K1700 Cube. Waiting on my MTM SGS28 Gun and foam cannon to come in along with a 50ft hose. We have a little side room on our house that just stores a lawnmower and some yard tools. I'm going to turn it into a little detailing spot and have the pressure washer wall mounted in there.

View attachment 76580

View attachment 76581

View attachment 76582

View attachment 76583
I tried a foam gun and really wasn鈥檛 impressed with the results I got compared to the two bucket.

Registered
Same here on the foam gun, I chop it up to my well water pressure though lol. I stick with the touchless wash haha

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #49
I still do a 2 bucket method. Doing just the foam cannon and then rinsing really doesnt do anything. Use foam cannon. Let it sit for a few min to break down dirt and then go over it with a micrfiber pad. Definitely not a necessary step but I enjoy it. Aslong as you wash your car do it however you please haha. Just dont add a ton of swirls marks please 馃ぃ

Which I have found many swirl marks so I will be doing a full paint correction here soon. Need to order some more aggressive compound.

I also found alot of paint chips someone has filled in with the wrong color paint. Its been bothering me like crazy and am gonna try to get fixed here soon. Hard to see in these pics but in person its very noticeable and really been pissing me off.

Have everything in for my BBK, just need to machine the brackets and get them powder coated. Hopefully get both knocked out this week.

This also showed up today. Came with no instructions which caused alot of frustration but its in now and im suoer stoked on it. Was more involved then i thought. Need to get all black trim now too.

Something unrelated is this beetle my dad just picked up. A family freinds father passed away. He said he had some 70s VW and wanted us to go get it. Ended up being a 71 Karmann beetle. Had a bunch of trophies it had won inside. Needs some love but should be a fun cruiser.

And a little pic of the strut bar cuz I think its pretty trick lol. Probably gonna be ordering a rear seat delete soon too. My buddy wants to fab me a roll bar for this and its really tempting. I recently dropped off a resr subframe for this csr and hes welding in a bunch of bracing and reinforcing it. Then will kit it out with all custom suspension arms and swap it over.

Registered
2016 Golf R DSG
I still do a 2 bucket method. Doing just the foam cannon and then rinsing really doesnt do anything. Use foam cannon. Let it sit for a few min to break down dirt and then go over it with a micrfiber pad. Definitely not a necessary step but I enjoy it. Aslong as you wash your car do it however you please haha. Just dont add a ton of swirls marks please 馃ぃ

Which I have found many swirl marks so I will be doing a full paint correction here soon. Need to order some more aggressive compound.

I also found alot of paint chips someone has filled in with the wrong color paint. Its been bothering me like crazy and am gonna try to get fixed here soon. Hard to see in these pics but in person its very noticeable and really been pissing me off.

View attachment 77368

View attachment 77369

View attachment 77370

Have everything in for my BBK, just need to machine the brackets and get them powder coated. Hopefully get both knocked out this week.

View attachment 77362

This also showed up today. Came with no instructions which caused alot of frustration but its in now and im suoer stoked on it. Was more involved then i thought. Need to get all black trim now too.

View attachment 77363

View attachment 77364

Something unrelated is this beetle my dad just picked up. A family freinds father passed away. He said he had some 70s VW and wanted us to go get it. Ended up being a 71 Karmann beetle. Had a bunch of trophies it had won inside. Needs some love but should be a fun cruiser.

View attachment 77365

View attachment 77366

View attachment 77367

And a little pic of the strut bar cuz I think its pretty trick lol. Probably gonna be ordering a rear seat delete soon too. My buddy wants to fab me a roll bar for this and its really tempting. I recently dropped off a resr subframe for this csr and hes welding in a bunch of bracing and reinforcing it. Then will kit it out with all custom suspension arms and swap it over.

View attachment 77371
Looking forward to your thoughts on thr digital display after you have had time to run with it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #51
Looking forward to your thoughts on thr digital display after you have had time to run with it.
Will do!

My first impressions are it is built very well. Does not seem like a cheap piece of crap. I didn't realize I'd have to disassemble the OEM motherboard so much. There were no instructions, I had to find some other guy's youtube video on the process. I've disassembled a lot of clusters before but this was a little more nerve-racking than all the mk4 clusters I've modded. I thought I fried it as at one point well pulling the motors off for the needles one of the LED's lit up and I panicked slightly. The screen looks very nice. I am quite happy so far. Trying to get the screen mirroring to work so I can use it for Waze. I also wish I could go in and make custom faces and stuff on the computer with some programming. Might try to figure out something.

Registered
2016 Golf R DSG
Will do!

My first impressions are it is built very well. Does not seem like a cheap piece of crap. I didn't realize I'd have to disassemble the OEM motherboard so much. There were no instructions, I had to find some other guy's youtube video on the process. I've disassembled a lot of clusters before but this was a little more nerve-racking than all the mk4 clusters I've modded. I thought I fried it as at one point well pulling the motors off for the needles one of the LED's lit up and I panicked slightly. The screen looks very nice. I am quite happy so far. Trying to get the screen mirroring to work so I can use it for Waze. I also wish I could go in and make custom faces and stuff on the computer with some programming. Might try to figure out something.
It does look a little hairy, but I used to mod bike clusters as a side deal, some of the electronics are small. The more I look into these the more it looks like the customization isn't at the level I would hope for. It doesn't seem to let you display anything beyond the stock cluster. Like boost pressure isn't an option. I would like to have tach, speedo, oil temp, boost and maybe a small audio display up there and that does not seem plausible with this or the factory AID retrofit. Apparently AID2 that is in the Seat is worlds beyond what the original AID had. I cant seem to find much info on it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #57
I got these control arms from my mk5. They need to be Powdercoated but the heims are all in great shape. Wanted to see what it would take to make them work.

All seemed good. was getting the toe within in eye sight. all seemed well till i put it on the ground and looked at it from the side. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nothing I cant fix but the stock arms are back on for now.

Registered
2019 GTI Autobahn Deep Black Pearl
Yikes! lol. Car is looking good man. Those scratches look like they should come out with just polish. Might want to just try that before you use a compound on the clear coat. I'm not seeing anything deep that would require a more aggressive correction.

Registered
Discussion Starter #59
Yikes! lol. Car is looking good man. Those scratches look like they should come out with just polish. Might want to just try that before you use a compound on the clear coat. I'm not seeing anything deep that would require a more aggressive correction.
In pics, the car looks great, in-person though it is swirl city. The hood is very bad. Definitely needs a correction. Other spots aren't as bad. The pics I posted earlier are chips that someone filled in with the wrong color. So going to need to wet sand those down and fill in with the right color. If it still looks bad ill have my buddy who does paint and bodywork fix it and blend it all in.

Registered
Discussion Starter #60
Rear wiper delete

Also pulled my rear seats. Will either buy or make a rear seat delete panel. Just depends on how we go about with the roll bar. I know my car is filthy too. My vac for the cars just broke and need to go down amd use car wash vacs asap.

Also ordered a Cobb accessport and a EQT stage 2 tune. Hoping to get the clutch in next weekend.

I also put up some feelers on my seats. I have a set of recaros Im tempted to pick up.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts