VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 163 Posts
Discussion starter · #23 · (Edited)
Ordered all the serpentine belt stuff last night. As well as the guibo and necessary parts for that. Finally new engine and trans mounts, because why not? Once it is back from paint, I will do those things and then get to work on the suspension bits. Then I'll visit the fountain of information Danny_16V on here and let him check out my work and maybe borrow his fender roller for those ET30 17x9s headed this way ;)

I also figured out that I have 5 style 24s including the spare. 3 of them being 8.5...one short of the full set. Hmm...maybe the 24's with some spacers instead...

Should I convert to an electric fan and ditch the thermoviscous one?

Pic at lake on Saturday

Untitled by glmmd81, on Flickr

What I'm afraid will happen (and it will) is how impressed I'll be with your M3 and how disappointed you'll be with mine :D

your M3 is looking reallly good!!

For the e-fan, I have been running my SPAL for many years with no problems. The only thing about them is fitting them can be a bit of a pain. In the sense that in order to get close to matching the air-flow of the OEM mechanical fan you really do need to get the high performance SPAL, which has a big motor which means you have to offset the fitment so it doesn't hit the waterpump nut. Bimmerworld kit is what I used and I think it's the best. I would not use their straps as they're lame.

Essentially this kit

But with this fan

With these brackets:

*you will need to drill onto the very edges of whatever radiator you choose to mount those brackets. You'll have to mock it all up to ensure the fan motor doesn't hit the waterpump (you'll at most be like 1-2" away).

I used a CSF all aluminum radiator this time around from FCP. It's worked fine. Last time I used a Z3 S54 radiator, also worked fine. It is much easier to install all of this having the radiator out of the car and being able to mock it all up and measure, drill and mount the fan carefully. After all of that, I was able to mount brand new OEM plastic shroud over the SPAL... it's almost a perfect fitment and most people won't tell it's there.

That said, if you want to spend money, you could just get a full Zionsville kit, which seems nice. Probably a bit overkill. And of course doesn't use the factory coolant reservoir. I don't have much experience with their stuff but they've always been considered one of the best.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
What I'm afraid will happen (and it will) is how impressed I'll be with your M3 and how disappointed you'll be with mine :D

your M3 is looking reallly good!!

For the e-fan, I have been running my SPAL for many years with no problems. The only thing about them is fitting them can be a bit of a pain. In the sense that in order to get close to matching the air-flow of the OEM mechanical fan you really do need to get the high performance SPAL, which has a big motor which means you have to offset the fitment so it doesn't hit the waterpump nut. Bimmerworld kit is what I used and I think it's the best. I would not use their straps as they're lame.

Essentially this kit

But with this fan

With these brackets:

*you will need to drill onto the very edges of whatever radiator you choose to mount those brackets. You'll have to mock it all up to ensure the fan motor doesn't hit the waterpump (you'll at most be like 1-2" away).

I used a CSF all aluminum radiator this time around from FCP. It's worked fine. Last time I used a Z3 S54 radiator, also worked fine. It is much easier to install all of this having the radiator out of the car and being able to mock it all up and measure, drill and mount the fan carefully. After all of that, I was able to mount brand new OEM plastic shroud over the SPAL... it's almost a perfect fitment and most people won't tell it's there.

That said, if you want to spend money, you could just get a full Zionsville kit, which seems nice. Probably a bit overkill. And of course doesn't use the factory coolant reservoir. I don't have much experience with their stuff but they've always been considered one of the best.
Danny is an E36 guru. Every time I ask a simple question I get this kind of response. Numerous options. All with links. It’s incredible. Having somebody like this to help guide you on a new platform is priceless. Thank you Danny!

Detailers have the car. They have a good leather guy. And a headliner guy. Both will be fixed when it comes back. I’m so excited 😁

New Cars are nice. But there is something so much more meaningful and rewarding that is brought by renewing an old car.

What you're doing, I want to do to an E46...and would have done to my own if keeping it would have been feasible at the time.

In any event, looking forward to watching this and hoping for a full garage line up pic once complete.

Reactions: Tommietank
Discussion starter · #28 ·
So an E46 M3 is next. 05-06 ZCP converted 6MT. Blue, white, or red. Find me one 😁

Reactions: GLI Dan
New Cars are nice. But there is something so much more meaningful and rewarding that is brought by renewing an old car.

What you're doing, I want to do to an E46...and would have done to my own if keeping it would have been feasible at the time.

In any event, looking forward to watching this and hoping for a full garage line up pic once complete.
I agree, and I love this as well.

all this talk abt modding the s52…

call my buddy Josh up n get yrself a magnesium-alloy n52/6 speed for damn near the same price.

they put down 300 at the wheels w MILVs, a tune, and messin w the 3 stage manifold

Discussion starter · #34 ·
Yea I have seen the EAG ones. Pretty absurdly priced. I actually got interested even in a 6 speed E92M and found a great deal on a 13 ZCP close to me with 50k miles but it sold. I’ll keep my eyes peeled for the right E46.

EAG is great if you want them to do all the work of refreshing the car, and pay the significant premium for it. They are really good, but for me, they take the fun out of getting the old stuff in that way.

There are good cars out there where you can do the refresh work and upgrades yourself, and never spend close to the money their cars command.

After helping Jason with his M 3/4/5, I know the shop I first inspected it from would be the FIRST place I'd take a potential purchase, and make sure I'm getting it checked by a pro who knows the cars really well, But then I want to be the one pulling it apart.

Danny is an E36 guru. Every time I ask a simple question I get this kind of response. Numerous options. All with links. It’s incredible. Having somebody like this to help guide you on a new platform is priceless. Thank you Danny!

Detailers have the car. They have a good leather guy. And a headliner guy. Both will be fixed when it comes back. I’m so excited 😁
Happy to help! I'm just excited to see the community grow with some awesome owners. For a while the E36 M3 was kind of in the dumps, forgotten, and treated like 'not a real M3'. And by the way, I don't even really love working on cars... there's way more knowledgeable people that I'll lean on for the heavy stuff :D

Headliner makes all the difference! I somehow managed the courage to do my own and it came it out pretty descent. But not something I wanna do again. But who am I kidding, now that I've done it, I'd definitely tackle it again.

21 - 40 of 163 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.