VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you leave it in an active Volcano?

-Jeff
Lol...no, just pushed down on the tool to insert the plug wire and the cheap metal expanded and allowed the plug wire to go a couple inches into the tool, with the wire's tangs pushing outward on it, making it impossible to remove without destroying it. It's a nasty piece of junk, with lots of sharp edges to cut yourself with while trying to wrestle the plug wire out. The OE plastic one is much superior, since if that happens, you can just pull it out since the plastic is pliable. The Schwaben tool's metal is not stiff enough to avoid it expanding and then jamming but is stiff enough to make removal impossible once jammed.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
The hazet one spreads a little, but nothing like that. It almost looks like something else happened, but maybe reach out to ECS and see if they'll send you a new one.

The mk4 ones you would think would work great, but looked very out of place on my MK3 without the engine plastics (they stuck up a lot)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The hazet one spreads a little, but nothing like that. It almost looks like something else happened, but maybe reach out to ECS and see if they'll send you a new one.

The mk4 ones you would think would work great, but looked very out of place on my MK3 without the engine plastics (they stuck up a lot)
Hmm....don't want them to look out of place, but the MKIV wires seem to be cheaper for reasons unknown.

Yes, something else did happen...lol. I got to spend 15 minutes trying to pry my spark plug wire out of the tool once it got stuck in it. I ended up having to bend the metal with 2 pliers since both tabs on the wire got jammed in the tool due to the metal expanding when pressing it on. I don't want another tool, since they aren't built well. The factory plastic one works better since it can't really get jammed up. If it expands and the wire gets trapped it's easy to remove, and no sharp edges everywhere to cut your hands open like the Schwaben.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Hmm....don't want them to look out of place, but the MKIV wires seem to be cheaper for reasons unknown.

Yes, something else did happen...lol. I got to spend 15 minutes trying to pry my spark plug wire out of the tool once it got stuck in it. I ended up having to bend the metal with 2 pliers since both tabs on the wire got jammed in the tool due to the metal expanding when pressing it on. I don't want another tool, since they aren't built well. The factory plastic one works better since it can't really get jammed up. If it expands and the wire gets trapped it's easy to remove, and no sharp edges everywhere to cut your hands open like the Schwaben.
I've had my VR Since 2001 and never gotten one stuck (with the hazet). A long needlenose does work well if you are in a pinch. And I've heard from a friend you can knock it on with a flatblade right on the metal, from a friend that is...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I've had my VR Since 2001 and never gotten one stuck (with the hazet). A long needlenose does work well if you are in a pinch. And I've heard from a friend you can knock it on with a flatblade right on the metal, from a friend that is...
I think the Hazet may be much sturdier with thicker walls than the Schwaben, which bends outward quite easily without much force required allowing the spark plug connector to slide up into the tube and get stuck there.

I noticed something here when looking up the tool. The Snap On site says this on their page for the tool:

USED TO REMOVE SPARK PLUG WIRES ON ALL VOLKSWAGEN AND AUDI VR 5 AND VR6 CYL. ENGINES. NOTE:OLD TOOL #3277A SHOULD NOT BE USED AND SHOULD BE SCRAPPED.

I don't know what tool #3277A is, but I wonder if it should not be used for the same reason, and was replaced with T10029.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I saw that one as well which looks superior, as does this one, although one reviewer said it spread out on him as well when installing the wires, and got stuck. The metalnerd one might be the one to get.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
I think the Hazet may be much sturdier with thicker walls than the Schwaben, which bends outward quite easily without much force required allowing the spark plug connector to slide up into the tube and get stuck there.

I noticed something here when looking up the tool. The Snap On site says this on their page for the tool:

USED TO REMOVE SPARK PLUG WIRES ON ALL VOLKSWAGEN AND AUDI VR 5 AND VR6 CYL. ENGINES. NOTE:OLD TOOL #3277A SHOULD NOT BE USED AND SHOULD BE SCRAPPED.

I don't know what tool #3277A is, but I wonder if it should not be used for the same reason, and was replaced with T10029.

Thats the one I have, I actually have a blue handle and a black handle one. I'll see what I can find on the 3277A :)

·
Registered
1995 GTI VR6 / 1990 Corrado g60 / 2000 A4 Avant 1.8t Quattro / 1997 Nissan Hardbody
2,167 Posts
Support the USA made metalnerd site. You won’t be disappointed, it’s helping the economy and you’ll get it faster.
This is the correct answer here.

Another thing to note is that the dimensions of the metal shrouds around the sparkplug wires differ from brand to brand. My metalnerd tool worked fine for multiple sets of wires, but with my latest set it would not grab the little metal tabs on the wire shroud. I had to make the horizontal tips on the tool skinnier (with a dremmel and flat file) to get them to slip behind the tabs on the wire shroud when I rotated the tool.
Hope that all makes any sense haha

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It seems the MK IV ones stick up a lot farther. Not sure I like that look. The wires aren't the problem though, it's the tool. I'll use the factory plastic tool from now on as it's never given me any grief. The couple of times it expanded and allowed the wire to go up into the tool, it was easy to pull it out and do it again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts