VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an oil change last week and today noticed it was above the "A" range, the range above the recommended marks.

I'll bring it back tomorrow but was wondering if my catalytic converter could have been damaged in a week's worth of driving.

· Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Oil above max range for a week, damage? (vwglinut)

So above the dotted marks, is the "A" range where it's ok to be if you're towing heavy loads. It's about a little less than the width of that range over the "A" range. What do you think?

Modified by RedC at 9:17 PM 3-20-2008

· Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Oil above max range for a week, damage? (TurboGTi222)

Now that the engine cooled down, it's a little more than the width of the A range, above the A range. How many quarts over does that equal?

· Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Oil above max range for a week, damage? (dcEuro)

I haven't noticed that but I wasn't watching. I drained some oil out last night though, not more than a quart and now it's at about the top of the hash mark. Getting that cover off and back on was a pain in the a** though.

· Registered
1,071 Posts
Re: Oil above max range for a week, damage? (RedC)

Quote, originally posted by RedC »
I haven't noticed that but I wasn't watching. I drained some oil out last night though, not more than a quart and now it's at about the top of the hash mark. Getting that cover off and back on was a pain in the a** though.

If you were only over by less than a quart, you have nothing to worry about

It sounds to me like they just used 5 quarts of oil instead of measuring it out.

· Registered
8,041 Posts
Re: Oil above max range for a week, damage? (dcEuro)

Quote, originally posted by dcEuro »
and if he was over by a qt. or more? what would the side affects be?

Well when you over too much it can hurt the oil pump and also casue blow by which is oil passing the rings which in turn is why you see a car blowing 'blue' smoke......so its not a good thing at all.
In this case, OP i think you're just fine and as somebody else stated, they just dumped in 5 quarts instead of measuing out 4.7x quarts

Do yourself a favor, CHANGE YOUR OWN OIL

· Registered
414 Posts
Re: Oil above max range for a week, damage? (vwglinut)

I've found that normally the smoke caused from overfilling an engine may have more to do with oil actually getting into the crankcase breathing system than getting past the rings. However, that's an in between stage just before you start to flood the cylinders with way too much oil and then yes there will be oil bypassing the rings.
This is just what I have seen in a couple of instances... none of them with a 1.8t or a VW for that matter.

· Registered
162 Posts
The same thing happened to me. I took my car to an oil change shop and they overfilled by what sounds like the same amount as you. The oil filter they used was tiny at well.
That did it for me. I do all my own oil changes now. I know exactly what oil and filter are going into my car and it will be done right. The Mahle oil filter I purchased was much larger than the one the oil change place used.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.