VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a little oil blowing out my breather filter on my ABA 16VT. Any body have any cool fixes they want to show so I can get an Idea of what I want to do? I am thinking of running a drain back to the oil pan and tee-ing into the return line off the turbo.
Right now, I am running the trusty old I liter Dr. Pepper bottle around the breather filter. Looks like hell, but is keeping the oil off the bottom of my car.
The car is running way hard and seems to like running at 18 Psi. Got a line on some slicks to cut my 60' times next friday.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Re: Oil Catch Breather Bottle. Any cool designs? Drain back into pan (SavageRocco)

nope don't wanna do that man. That is ur crank case ventilation or like u said a breather to keep a lot of pressure from building up in der. If u run it back in there it has no way to vent. The oil coming out is normal. just run a catch can u can make one or buy one at ur local hot rod shop for like 30$

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Oil Catch Breather Bottle. Any cool designs? Drain back into pan (vduban474)

No, I am not planning on making it a closed system, all I want to do is dump the oil back into the crankcase and vent the vapor back out, If I can get the oil and vaopr to separate, I want to plumb the vapor back into the intake and burn it off. But I don't want to fill my intercooler with oil again like I did last time. Right now, I just threw a bottle under and over the filter to catch the oil that gets pushed out under boost.

·
Registered
15,517 Posts
Re: Oil Catch Breather Bottle. Any cool designs? Drain back into pan (SavageRocco)

if you make a catch can with three holes, input from pcv , outlet to drain oil, inlet for fumes after maf(if you have one) there should be no oil any where but the catch can?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Oil Catch Breather Bottle. Any cool designs? Drain back into pan (EvilVento2.oT)

I don't have a MAF sensor, I am running Digi I. That is what I am looking for more or less, I was just wanting to see what people had done and gets some pictures. I have been thinking of using a remote resivour froma corvette p/s system and drilling a hole in the lid to attatch a fillter to vent to atmosphere or plumb it back into my intake before the turbo.

·
Registered
15,517 Posts

saab makes a good one its plastic has three holes and is olny like 25 bucks i think

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Re: Oil Catch Breather Bottle. Any cool designs? Drain back into pan (EvilVento2.oT)

I am making 1 at the moment, it is just a section of 2 1/2" xaust pipe with a barb at the top for a filter, 1 on the side for the pipe from the motor, i have 1 on the bottom but i have a fuel tap on there so i can empty the oil (i dont want to recylce it) u could easily run it back to the sump/ oil rtn etc...
I will take some pics as it is now but this is it so far...
Barb on the block

My can

It will be finished soon

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Re: Oil Catch Breather Bottle. Any cool designs? Drain back into pan (rocco2.0gtiLondon)

Any updates? That machined piece looks
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
173 Posts
Re: Oil Catch Breather Bottle. Any cool designs? Drain back into pan (Cabrio1.8T)

I should show you guys my pics of my ABA 16vt. I had major issues with my oil breathing. First off I used a breather adapter from a 2.0 NB. then I ran a hose to the custom stainless catch tank I made. Good idea, until I ran it hard. I would fill the can and blow oil all over the place! I still had a breather on the front of the block, just had a filter on it. So, I devised a oil separator, used a formed hose (probably off of a 1.8t?? dunno, had the perfect shape! The oil separator allows the oil to drain back into the block and the catch can to get the breathing. The only thing I get now is condensate and a little oil residue!
If I can remember I will get pics up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts