VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading about people complaining about the filter leaking all over when the pull the filter off.
Has anyone tried using a home-made hollow punch to pierce the sice and drain into a plastic bottle.
Just wondered if this was even possible. I have not change my oil yet and will be doing it in the next month or so.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Re: oil change and filter removal (02VWGTI)

I wouldn't worry so much about the oil making a mess... If you prepare (put down papers) its no big deal... The hard part is getting the filter off...
you could punch a hole in it and drain it that way

·
Registered
991 Posts

I use a couple of walmart bags, one inside the other, and once I've got the filter cracked loose, put the bags around the filter while removing it. Keeps the mess pretty local to the filter & bags.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: oil change and filter removal (20vJetta)

Quote, originally posted by 20vJetta »
aww, are you gonna get your hands messy?

I am going to take this a playful sarcasm. I was a tank mechanic in the army for 8 years. I have abosulutly no fears of getting dirty. I just hate cleaning up oil spills if they can be avoided.
My grand am that I used to have was the same way when you tried taking off the filter. I got tired of cleaning up the messes. I will just make sure to have a lift put in my garage when I build one in the next few years

·
Registered
1,942 Posts

Yep, the best mechanics I've know rarely get their hands dirty. Plus if you have the front end up, the oil from the filter nipple leaks right onto the front of the block, gets held by the casting webs at the oil pan, and makes a real mess if you don't clean it up before installing the splash shield. One of the guys recommended using a zip-lock bag around the filter when unscrewing it.
Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts