VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Re: Oil change interval (tcrboravr6)

When using Mobil1 synth, was around 4-5k, now with valvoline synth (reduces oil consumption) I change it every 3k on the dot almost. 5w in the winter, 10w in the summer. Uses about 1 quart a change now with over 96k miles.
Say what you want about wasting money, but I've had no problems since new. I'd rather not call it luck.
PJ

[Modified by machschnell, 8:15 AM 11-29-2001]

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Re: Oil change interval (dagmando)

There is no substitute for *clean* oil. 100 miles, 1000 miles, 5000 miles, I guess that's the point I'm trying to make. The oil itself, sure, it could probably last 10,000 miles, kind of useless if something gets in there. "Yeah, sure, that's what the filter is for". True, but we all take out insurance on our houses and cars, right? Trannies, cooling, brake, p/s systems are relatively 'sealed' hard for foreign matter to get in there. In the oiling system, stuff get in there easy, and when it does - good bye.
Not this is a good way to determine the life of an oil, but right around 2500 miles, my oil starts to lose the goldish 'hue', so I figure 3000 is good guideline. It was 50 years ago, I think it still is, regardless of what oil companies have been able to do.
PJ

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Re: Oil change interval (MIA)

Sure, I can give you a break.
I did a quick calculation, If I changed at 5k instead of 3k, for 15k mile/year, I would change the oil 3 times, as opposed to 5 times. that's 12 quarts of oil and filter. probably $80-$100 a year. Worth it to me. Probably $50 if you took it the local Quickety Lube and drive off w/out that peace of mind about something as simple as motor oil. I know I wouldn't take it to the lube place to save $50, so I don't change at 5k to save about the same amount. Break it down however you want - it's my baby.
I love the goldish hue, if it were as cheap as milk, I would eat my corn flakes with it. Peace see ya later.
PJ

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Re: Oil change interval (VRSexed)

I would almost have no problem waiting until 5k if the oil remained relatively clean, although I know that will probably never happen.
PJ

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Re: Oil change interval (RedShift42)

Good advice, Red, this is an argument that will go on forever.
You're not going to believe this, but I change the oil in our aircooled Bug every 1500 miles! AAAA! This guy is nuts! Well, that's what most anybody who services aircooleds will tell you (or at least what I've heard) b/c the crankcase is vented to the outside, and they don't run the types of filters found on modern cars. Just another point of view to draw from.
PJ

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Re: Oil change interval (1_BAD_VR6)

So when VW says "Drivers Wanted", you mean they don't really want me, they just want my money? That's discouraging...
PJ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.