VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new at this, so bear with me on this one.

I am trying to change oil myself, not sure if there is any special tool that I need to remove the drain plug, or a regular socket wrench (correct size) will do?
How about the oil filter? Any special tool needed?
Any other hint/tip is also appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Re: Oil change on Jetta III... (angelfish001)

Depends on the engine. 2.0 should be like anything else, but VR6 is a little different, and you need a 7mm allen, and a 36mm socket (or big adjustable wrench) to get to the filter.

·
Registered
938 Posts

ok then on the 2.0 8v you need
19mm spanner (drain plug)
filter wrench or strong hands
new filter and drain plug washer
3 litres of oil
just raise and support car then open bonnet and open filler cap and pull dip stick out a little (prevents air lock) then go under the car and remove the 19 mm at the back of the sump and let the oil drain, while the oil is draining remove filter and fit new ne adding a little oil to the gasket then refit sump drain plug with a new washer (remove the old) and throw 3 litres of oil in there, che3ck the oil leval (should be about 1/8" above max and start the engine and let it idle for 30 sec. stop the engine and let it sit for 10 min and check oil adding as nessary

·
Registered
5,418 Posts

just jack the car up and put it on axle stands (or ramps if your not that low).
Make sure you put some wood behind ur rear wheels, just for afety measures.
get an oil pan, put it under your car where the oil will come out of the hole, i use an adjustable wrench and just loosen it, try to grab the nut before it falls into the pan. let it flow out, open your oil cap up top., move the oil pan about a foot forward (towards the front of your car) and try to take the filter off with your hands, mine usualy comes off okay, somtimes i have to use a grip, but not usually. then let it all drain out. replace the nut.
coat the edges of the new filter with oil, and screw on (not too tight or else you won't be able to get it off next time) and put the new oil in... 4L
goodluck.
-jay.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Fallsjetta)

With not using synthetic before, do I need to flush my engine before using it. I was told no if the car is broken in since the oil is so thin. I don't want to damage anything.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Re: FV-QR (cyfehr)

I believe the thinking on synthetic is that it won't actually hurt your car, it'll most likely help.
However, it's good at cleaning/dissolving dirty deposits that may be hiding/plugging leaks you've got. Once those deposits are gone, those leaks may start, well...leaking. Put another way, Synthetic oil won't cause any leaks, but it may reveal leaks you didn't know you had.
FWIW, I just did my first oil change (the first one I did myself) and made the switch to synthetic for my 97 Jetta. So far no problems at all.
btw, I had a horrendous time getting the oil filter off. I finally used the hammer-a-screwdriver-through-the-filter-for-leverage technique and finally got it off. Messy, but effective.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: FV-QR (WindsorBlueJustice)

That's what scares me about synthetic, dislodging junk that pluged my leaks.
That's all I need. I think i'll stay with conventional.
Does anybody have suggestions on the best mineral oil grades (non-synthetic)?

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
Re: FV-QR (B Funley)

Quote, originally posted by B Funley »
Castrol GTX FTW

x2 if you're not running synthetic.
I'm running Mobile 1 5w 30 synthetic in a 2.0 with 123,000 miles on it, No problems for the last 2 oil changes.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
Re: FV-QR (cyfehr)

Quote, originally posted by cyfehr »
Did you flush before using it?

nope. Oil isn't like coolant. g12 should never be mixed with the evil green (as far as coolant goes), but oil is fine. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Fallsjetta)

Easiest way to make sure you get all the oil out of the engine when doing an oil change is to drain the oil while the car is at operating temperature. It's viscosity is alot higher and will drain better. Just be careful not to get burned. That isht is hot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: FV-QR (B Funley)

I typically change it at that temp anyway since I usually come home from the autoparts store and immediately do the change. I'm think i'll change to synthetic and give it a whirl. I just worry because of having 130K in mileage.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
Re: FV-QR (envi)

Quote, originally posted by envi »
stick with regular oil.

that's where working at a dealer is fun, slip the tech a $20, oh hey, hello synth. oil change

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.