VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys
i have an 02 gti and, since i dont have the 2 year maintance warrenty do i have to go to vw to get my oil changed since they claim that they use special oil that does not have to be changed for every 5k.
or can i go to any mechanic shop and get my oil changed
why does vw recommend to change the oil every 5k. i find that hard to believe because the turbo needs fresh oil all the time
should i do a regular oil change which i mean get it done every 3k
thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Re: oil change? (lasatoptonline23)

You can go to any mechanic you want, never heard of "special oil". Manual says every 5k, I use 5w-50 Castrol sythetic when I change the oil. You don't need to do it every 3K, just make sure it's done every 5k with a new filter/crush washer.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Re: oil change? (GreenVW1.8T)

quote:[HR][/HR]You don't need to do it every 3K, just make sure it's done every 5k with a new filter/crush washer. [HR][/HR]​
VW's seem to be able to run extended oil change interval's. Don't listen to anyone that tells you that you have to change the oil in your car at 3k miles to get all the crud out of the motor. That is applicable to motors built twenty years ago. Motors built today are flushed many times to remove all the casting sand and machining chips.
As far as the crush washer goes is that just the washer for the oil drain plug or is ther one for the filter as well?
edited for typos

[Modified by memnuts, 9:14 AM 12-5-2001]

·
Registered
841 Posts
Re: oil change? (memnuts)

The crush washer is only on the drain plug. The oil filter comes with a black oil seal, make sure when you take out the old filter that it still has it's seal attached to it. If you install the new one filter with two seal your going to make a mess. hhehehe.....my dad did that once, I thought it was hilarious until he made me clean up the drive way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.