VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Longevity is an issue since I will probably be driving my B5 for about 8 years. What is the best oil for 1.8t longevity? Is it what the dealer puts in when I go for a tuneup or should I be requesting something else?

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Re: oil changes - what is the best? (zolik)

First, the type of oil that would enhance longevity is synthetic. Second, there is really no such thing as a *bad* synthetic oil. But, if you compare specifications on synthetic oils (most specs are available on the web) you'll find that Amsoil synthetic has the best specifications. Its kind of pricey though at ~$7.00 US a quart. For practical purposes (price and availabilty considered) Mobil 1, Valvoline SynPower, Castrol Syntec are all excellent choices.
One thing though, your manual states that 5W40 weight oil is preferred for the 1.8T with 5W30 as a substitute. If you go with synthetic, Valvoline SynPower is the only *readily available* 5W40. Its available at NAPA auto parts stores.

[Modified by E36BMW, 11:53 AM 11-29-2001]

[Modified by E36BMW, 11:54 AM 11-29-2001]

·
Registered
85 Posts
Re: oil changes - what is the best? (zolik)

There is apparently a new player in the 5W40 market. I was in Wal-Mart the other day and saw Shell Rotella synthetic in a 5W40 grade. It was in gallon jugs for something around $18 a gallon. Said it met API service spec. SL(?), which is apparently the latest standard.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Re: oil changes - what is the best? (SCPassat)

...the most-important spec to look for on 5W40 oil is ACEA A3/B3 (the europeon valvetrain wear spec). ACEA is the spec itself. The A3 part is for gas motors and the B3 part is for diesels.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Re: oil changes - what is the best? (E36BMW)

Redline 5W-30 is great for turbos. I have it and I can tell you there has been a sinificant increase in smoothness in the engine (idle and stroke) since converting to Redline fully synthetic. Oh, and about longevity...Redline mandates that it only needs to be changed every 10-12k miles at a minimum. I know some people that have gone longer i.e. 30k with no problems. Definately consider a fully synthetic (reduces heat stress in engine) and Redline (outstanding product).

[Modified by indigofast, 10:04 AM 12-2-2001]

·
Registered
297 Posts
Re: oil changes - what is the best? (indigofast)

I have run Mobil 1 in every car I have owned since 1986 without any faults. I used to get it for FREE from a friend who worked at Callaway Turbo in Connecticut. I had it in my ....
1986 Shelby Charger
1987 Acura Integra
1992 Mazda Protege LX (wifes)
1995 Honda Civic EX
1998 Honda civic EX (wifes)
2000 Civic SI
and soon to be in the wifes 2002 GLS 1.8T Passat.
My only reccomendation is you wait until 10,000 miles for everything to seat in on the engine.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Re: oil changes - what is the best? (Paul6506)

"1986 Shelby Charger"
I had a black and silver one that was the first "new" car I ever owned and loved it!

As for the oil I'm using Havoline Synthetic in 5W-30 and now in 5W-40 weights...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Re: oil changes - what is the best? (BADANTH)

I inquired at the dealer if they used synthetic oil and he said no.
How difficult is changing the oil in a 1.8T? Is there anything out of the ordinary involved?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Re: oil changes - what is the best? (Just say Mo)

changing the oil isn't hard but the belly pan fasteners are a pain in the butt. the screws in the wheel wells are ludicrus. My Jetts Tdi belly pan is ten times easier to remove.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts