VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day everyone,

I wondering if anyone could help me diagnose a problem with my 2012 Tiguan 2.0 TSI; It's been burning a lot of oil.

We bought the car at about 77000KM and the oil light came on at about 85000km. From then on, it's been burning about 500mL every 1000km. It's was just serviced for it's 90K check and I was told to do an oil consumption test. It's burnt, once again, about 500mL in 1000km, maybe a little more. I just recently noticed some oil around the filler cap that wasn't new oil due to the dark black colour vs the browny-black that is coming off the oil dipstick. I also checked the exhaust and it's covered in black soot but no noticeable blue smoke when the car is running. Many hours of google-ing later I started to suspect that maybe the PCV had an issue. I started the car and pulled off the oil filler cap, car ran rough, replaced the cap, car ran fine. Then I let the car actually warm up and conducted the test again... This time, and every time since then, when I pull the cap the engine RPM increases from 800RPM to about 980RPM and runs a fair bit smoother (I can feel it through my legs when I lean against the car). There is also substantial vacuum pressure when I pull the cap. I've also conducted the same test with the dipstick with the results being mimicked, albeit a bit more subtle.

Do you think the oil consumption is likely to be caused by a PCV failure of some type. I haven't got a scan tool at the the moment but the car also hasn't thrown a check engine light; no system lean faults that I know about and no vacuum leak noises.

Note: The reason I haven't worried until now, is someone told me that oil consumption for VW was normal (Up to 1L per 1000km), but after hours of google-ing I'm starting to think this was more a TFSI problem due piston rings, not the same in the TSI.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Mikey

Car Specs:

Make - Tiguan
Model - 2.0 Sport4M155
Year - 2012
Engine - CCZB
Odo - 90600km

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Oil consumption is not normal and there are far more VWs that don't consume oil than those that do. Having the oil light come on is worrisome. It clearly indicates an issue. When it came on, was the oil level low? I suspect the answer is yes and damage occurred. I highly doubt it's a PCV issue. The most common failure of the PCV is to leak and cause boost pressure to enter the crankcase and blow out the rear main seal. If the blue smoke is constant, I would be looking at doing a compression and leak down test to see if rings are the issue. No matter the fault, it might be less expensive to get a used engine rather than machine/repair the one you have.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am on a 5000 mile oil change interval on my 2012 with 106K miles. It uses one quart approximately every 2000 miles, and that takes it up to the highest point in the good range on the dipstick.

It is my experience that the engine burns the oil. I do see some blue smoke on occasion, usually when the engine is cold.

This is what my plugs look like at 106K with 45k miles on them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts