VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the Savage Geese review, he mentions the addition of an oil cooler, as well as the oil temperature not crossing about 240°F after a few laps at the track. Does anyone know whether an oil cooler has been added or upgraded on the Mk8 versus the 7 or 7.5?

·
Registered
183 Posts
In the Savage Geese review, he mentions the addition of an oil cooler, as well as the oil temperature not crossing about 240°F after a few laps at the track. Does anyone know whether an oil cooler has been added or upgraded on the Mk8 versus the 7 or 7.5?
I found this article online which shows that there is an engine oil cooler on the MK8. If you scroll down to where is says mechanical. That's where is says it has an oil cooler. 2022 Volkswagen Golf GTI SE 2.0T Manual Features and Specs

·
Registered
183 Posts
It certainly needs it, one large weakness of the Mk7. Now if they'd just fix the intercooler and the stock clutch...
Well the intercooler is coming. Is the stock clutch bad on the Mk8? Damn now you have me all nuts. Now I am going to have to replace the clutch as well. My motorcycle club calls me Overkill. If I gave you a list of things I did to my Ducati, BMW S1000RR, BMW S1000R and my Harley Dyna you would faint. I will just tell you what is still stock on my Dyna. The frame, the tins (but they were painted), the tranny case and the wire harness. Just think about what I said. Not one other part, piece anything is stock. Guys say overkill did you really need to install the Kraus moto rear axial to radial brake caliper bracket and install a radial brembo 108mm brake caliper in the rear which goes on the front right of the bike LOL. What clutch would you recommend? What are you thoughts between APR and 034 motorsports?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Well the intercooler is coming. Is the stock clutch bad on the Mk8? Damn now you have me all nuts. Now I am going to have to replace the clutch as well. My motorcycle club calls me Overkill. If I gave you a list of things I did to my Ducati, BMW S1000RR, BMW S1000R and my Harley Dyna you would faint. I will just tell you what is still stock on my Dyna. The frame, the tins (but they were painted), the tranny case and the wire harness. Just think about what I said. Not one other part, piece anything is stock. Guys say overkill did you really need to install the Kraus moto rear axial to radial brake caliper bracket and install a radial brembo 108mm brake caliper in the rear which goes on the front right of the bike LOL. What clutch would you recommend? What are you thoughts between APR and 034 motorsports?
Uh oh. I don’t really like either. APR still uses the ancient method of tuning that requires a shop to update the ECU. Most others use an OBD2 port to allow the end user to flash or revert to stock and there tends to be more power on canned tunes and you can do remote custom tuning.

034 has a pretty poor reputation among us Mk7 owners. Shock mounts, motor mounts, sway bar links and mounts and their dogbone inserts are all known to fail.

Head over to the Mk7 forums to get some ideas if you’d like. You have the same motor in your car, albeit with a Garrett turbo in place of our ISI turbo.

Which intercooler did you get? I have a Baun FMIC on the GTI but will likely do a stock location for the R.

As for clutches, that’s a whole can of worms. The stock clutch is materially the same between the GTI and R and only rated for 280ft/lb, so any tune will put you well over that. Some folks manage to keep it alive on a Stage 1 tune for a bit, but plenty of people get slip quickly. There’s a debate between replacement single mass flywheels and crank walk, so some people use the stock or RS3 dual mass flywheel. Then you’ll also want to consider how much power you want to go for, how much effort you want to deal with and how much noise before picking something.

i think we’ve already talked about the little house keeping things like removing the clutch delay valve, adding a clutch stop, tossing the return spring and possibly removing the swirl valve. If not, there’s a good thread on the 7 side about how to make a manual suck less.

·
Registered
2016 GTI SE 6MT, 2021 Audi S4 Premium
1,333 Posts
It certainly needs it, one large weakness of the Mk7. Now if they'd just fix the intercooler and the stock clutch...
Are you saying the MK7 doesn't have an oil cooler? I'm pretty sure it does. I just paid my mechanic $860 to replace the oil cooler on my 2016 Mk 7 GTI. It was leaking oil into the coolant circuit. The dealer mechanic was the first one to suggest I change the oil cooler since he saw oil residue in the coolant reservoir bottle.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Are you saying the MK7 doesn't have an oil cooler? I'm pretty sure it does. I just paid my mechanic $860 to replace the oil cooler on my 2016 Mk 7 GTI. It was leaking oil into the coolant circuit. The dealer mechanic was the forst one to suggest I change the oil cooler since he saw oil residue in the coolant reservoir bottle.
No, there is no auxiliary oil cooler on a Mk7 GTI. There is only a very small one on the TCR/Clubsport/R behind where our GTI's have the left fog light.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
No, there is no auxiliary oil cooler on a Mk7 GTI. There is only a very small one on the TCR/Clubsport/R behind where our GTI's have the left fog light.
Are you saying no oil cooler at all? I don't know what you mean by auxiliary. As I said, I just paid a lot of money to have one replaced and both the VW dealer and my mechanic confirmed that the oil leak into my coolant circulation system was from the oil cooler.

By the way, based on how my Mk 7 is literally falling apart at 74K miles, I will never ever keep a VW past the factory warranty period again. The cars are just not built to last. I'm on my 4th water pump/thermostat housing and I fully expect the new one to last less than a year. I just have to get rid of this car before that happens. My mechanic mentioned that the timing belt tensioner goes bad on some Mk 7 cars and that's an $1,800 repair.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Correct. I don’t know what you paid for, but the only cooling on a GTI is the radiator. The only way to get oil into our coolant would be a failed head gasket, which is a four figure repair bill.
I called my mechanic and he confirmed that the car does in fact have an oil cooler. He said the most likely outcome in a failed head gasket scenario is coolant getting into the oil stream, not oil getting into the coolant system. I’m just telling you what he told me, not saying you’re definitely wrong. Pacific VW in Hawthorne CA also diagnosed it as an oil leak from the oil cooler. The inside of my coolant reservoir bottle was coated with a brown oily residue.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Your shop scares me. A blown head gasket will allow both to merge, so you'll have oil in the coolant and coolant in the oil, the barrier has been breached. There is no external oil cooler on a GTI or an R. The R does get a secondary coolant radiator on the left side and a DSG cooler on the right side, but the GTI gets neither, and neither of those are oil coolers anyway.

This is getting confusing as we're in the Mk8 forum, which is rumored to have an oil cooler, but I have yet to see any evidence of that yet.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Against my better judgement to get involved, there is an engine oil to water coolant heat exchanger.

A failure in the cooler could allow oil in the coolant (oil pressure is higher than coolant system pressure.
Font Line Screenshot Terrestrial animal Multimedia

Covers 12 models and 503 variants between 2013 and 2021.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I stand corrected. If that's all the Mk8 has, then it's pretty much ineffective, as our oil temps get too hot in track conditions even in mild temps.
Good thing there is an oil temp gauge.

Highest I ever saw on my R in heavy traffic was about 230°F.

Back in 1984, if driven hard my 1978 Scirocco would top 250°F oil temp.

Good thing I ran Mobil 1 20W-50.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Good thing there is an oil temp gauge.

Highest I ever saw on my R in heavy traffic was about 230°F.

Back in 1984, if driven hard my 1978 Scirocco would top 250°F oil temp.

Good thing I ran Mobil 1 20W-50.
Yeah, but the R has extra cooling, an extra radiator on one side and the DSG oil cooler on the other, if you have the DSG, just the coolant radiator for manuals. I see 225 on just normal driving, 250 is easy, and 270 doesn't take much effort in 90 plus heat. And that's the wonky sport gauge, the AP reports higher temps and much more fluctuation than the onboard gauges.

·
Registered
183 Posts
How is the oil cooler on the MK8? If doing performance upgrade to increase power. Would a bigger oil cooler be beneficial? Or an additional one? Is there an oil cooler large enough to fit so two are not needed?I What would be a good recommendation for someone who will be upgrading engine performance on the MK8 to help with overheating the oil. @bentin let me know that APR makes a good quality intercooler. But that doesnt cool off oil.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
How is the oil cooler on the MK8? If doing performance upgrade to increase power. Would a bigger oil cooler be beneficial? Or an additional one? Is there an oil cooler large enough to fit so two are not needed?I What would be a good recommendation for someone who will be upgrading engine performance on the MK8 to help with overheating the oil. @bentin let me know that APR makes a good quality intercooler. But that doesnt cool off oil.
There are a lot of stuff on YouTube from DAP, I haven't seen all of them, but maybe look at what they posted.

FYI: the dyno episode is interesting...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts