VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best retail parts store oil filter to use for the 95 GLX VR6? Model/part number? What oil weight? Sorry for the stupid questions.

·
Registered
22,319 Posts
Re: Oil filter and oil? (LT1Formula)

I always reccomend to go with original VW oil filters. They should be the best for your engine.

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Re: Oil filter and oil? (LT1Formula)

I like to run a minimum oil weight of 15W40 in VW's. They do tend to run hot and like the thicker oil and it helps quiet lifters. I prefer synthetic like Mobil 1 or Valvoline Syn-power. I'm in the south and run 15W50 or 20W50 year round. The German filters such as VW and Mann are superior. If you can't find or afford those I would get the Purolator model at Pep Boys. Mann filters are easily bought in case quantities on ebay for good prices. Just make sure you get the correct VR6 filter, they changed in about 96. The old style has metal ends and the new style has plastic ends.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Re: Oil filter and oil? (CarlosFL)

Help with filters here...
Although I don't have a VR, a filter is a filter...
Why as Fram filters inferior to VW filters? I have bought bosche before as thats recognizable name, but also the most expensive. Am I throwing money away?
I've heard that cheap filters don't have an oil return valve stop or something like that
some special valve that stops dirty oil in the filter to flow backwards into the oilline. Is that the difference? Any Candian's out there able to offer advice on parts available up here? I've never heard of Mann or Purolator filters. At PartSource I've seen Fram, Quackerstate (oops
), Bosche and thats about it I think.

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
Re: Oil filter and oil? (Action Jackson)

Purelator is a good brand, I recomend it. I use K&N in my 16V and she runs happy with 15W 50 Mobil 1. FRAM is not avery good filter no more I know of a few people that have had problems with FRAM filters, like blowing up due to the pressure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts