VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, on my way home from Arlington today and all of a sudden my EPC light and Traction light engine lights always on, come on and the car dies. At idle it sounded like it was knocking so I shut it down. Looked in the bay and first thing I notice is oil all over the charge pipe where the DV pipe connects and oil int the DV pipe itself. Look some more and see oil on the DP and I'm burning a little oil at idle.

I start it back up and it acts fine for all of 2min then does it again just no knocking sound. so I figured out if I just flip the key on/off/on it would reset and go for a little while. Did this like 20 times to get home.

It will sit an idle fine forever, but once it gets into 4th / 5th gear it seems to really act up. I know my turbo is on it's way out, but when my K04 died I could drive fine just no boost. Now I have boost, less power and it wil shut down intermittently.

Got any Ideas? I also have the whine that dying turbos sing, but now I'm wondering if the whine may be something else. The oil thing makes me believe my seals are blown.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, also does anyone in the DC metro area have a K04 they want to get rid of. I just spent my Frankenmoney on a brake job for one of my other cars and it pretty much wiped me out. More than $1k to do brakes:screwy:. I'm also out of work due to surgery so I'm looking for something to slap in there real quick. I just don't want to spend a ton of money on a turbo I don't really want.:(

Thanks! Hoping someone has something they haven't put in the classifieds yet.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
So, on my way home from Arlington today and all of a sudden my EPC light and Traction light engine lights always on, come on and the car dies. At idle it sounded like it was knocking so I shut it down. Looked in the bay and first thing I notice is oil all over the charge pipe where the DV pipe connects and oil int the DV pipe itself. Look some more and see oil on the DP and I'm burning a little oil at idle.

I start it back up and it acts fine for all of 2min then does it again just no knocking sound. so I figured out if I just flip the key on/off/on it would reset and go for a little while. Did this like 20 times to get home.

It will sit an idle fine forever, but once it gets into 4th / 5th gear it seems to really act up. I know my turbo is on it's way out, but when my K04 died I could drive fine just no boost. Now I have boost, less power and it wil shut down intermittently.

Got any Ideas? I also have the whine that dying turbos sing, but now I'm wondering if the whine may be something else. The oil thing makes me believe my seals are blown.
Sounds like there are 2 different problems to me. I know when I had an oil leak, it was the drain and supply line. I would take a look at the oil filter housing and the drain line to the oil pan, see if thats the culprit. As far as your epc light and cel, maybe try cleaning out your TB? I had the same symptons and cleaning the TB up and throwing in some new coil packs seemed to fix it. Only did the coil packs because they were recall

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Well, turbo is definitely dead:mad:

Just cleaned TB and MAF and took it for a test drive and now it's smoking like cray... Another KKK bites the dust. Looks like I'll be rebuilding my K04 until I save some more cash.
Damn man, you have the worst luck with turbo's. I'll keep an eye out in the classifieds for ya. What are you going to be looking for specifically?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I guess I'm just gonna bite the bullet on the Frankenturbo. I'm so sick of this.
Been there, it blows. But once you get everything running and there are no leaks, cels, and the idle just purrrrs, you will be happy with the car again.

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
I just took the Cayman out for a drive to make me happy again.:D Now I need my DD running. Oh, well I wish I had waited to do the brake service now.

If you can afford a Caymen and the brakes associated with it, you can surely afford the repair the DD with new parts.

wish I just had a backup car that was a Porsche to drive when my daily broke.

Just bite the bullet it will cost you less in the long run.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Just get the cheapest turbo you can find so it's cheaper when you break that one too:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can afford it.
I bought this car a a project / DD and it's turned out to cost way more than I expected that's all. I hate putting more money into it than I paid initially for it.
I spent 6k on the jetta and I've put a total, including price of car 11K into it mostly maintenance. This is why I complain and since I decided not to go BT since I got the S the jetta has been breaking all the time.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was running up to a 28psi spike on the k04 and 22psi boost

the k03 was 22psi spike and 15-18psi boost.

I'm starting to think they may be getting starved for oil since I just found an oil leak.

This is why I'm going to run a F4H-T with a conservative tune made hopefully by you. I'd like to run 18-20psi on the franken' with no more than a 22psi spike. I think that's conservative compared to what others are running. Maybe that way it'll last and still be fun to drive. I'm also going to replace the oil line and drop my oil pan to see if there is anything swimming around in there.

I abused the hell out of the K04 so that didn't surprise me, the K03s has been babied though since I stay out of boost for the most part.

I dunno, I also think the PO had beat the hell out of the car before I got it. This is the first used car I've owned other than my first car 280zx but that was my Mom's and she bought it new. It only had 40k in '96. The Porsche was also my Stepfather's that he bought new so that doesn't count either (bought from him in the Fall).

I think that buying an RP k04 was a bad choice too. If I had a KKK it would be fine, most likely. Once this is fixed there shouldn't be another issue since the whole thing has essentially been rebuilt. Rods, Pistons, Mounts, Trans, Clutch, Tires, Suspension, all have been replaced so a new turbo should leave it reliable. Hopefully.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I was running up to a 28psi spike on the k04 and 22psi boost

the k03 was 22psi spike and 15-18psi boost.

I'm starting to think they may be getting starved for oil since I just found an oil leak.

This is why I'm going to run a F4H-T with a conservative tune made hopefully by you. I'd like to run 18-20psi on the franken' with no more than a 22psi spike. I think that's conservative compared to what others are running. Maybe that way it'll last and still be fun to drive. I'm also going to replace the oil line and drop my oil pan to see if there is anything swimming around in there.

I abused the hell out of the K04 so that didn't surprise me, the K03s has been babied though since I stay out of boost for the most part.

I dunno, I also think the PO had beat the hell out of the car before I got it. This is the first used car I've owned other than my first car 280zx but that was my Mom's and she bought it new. It only had 40k in '96. The Porsche was also my Stepfather's that he bought new so that doesn't count either (bought from him in the Fall).

I think that buying an RP k04 was a bad choice too. If I had a KKK it would be fine, most likely. Once this is fixed there shouldn't be another issue since the whole thing has essentially been rebuilt. Rods, Pistons, Mounts, Trans, Clutch, Tires, Suspension, all have been replaced so a new turbo should leave it reliable. Hopefully.
Why such a big spike on the k04?

Being starved for oil might be the cause...

I usually do 1.4 bar (20.3 psi) max and smoothly come down from that on the k03/s to play it safe for stage 2. Matt supposedly raced his friend with GIAC and they were neck to neck :eek:

Im trying to get 265hp out of k03s with w/m and custom stage 3 with all supporting mods for someone so we will see where that gets me but you just seem to be unlucky with turbos :p

Go FrankenTurbo if you have the money. Im just poor and can't afford it :(

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Why such a big spike on the k04?

Being starved for oil might be the cause...

I usually do 1.4 bar (20.3 psi) max and smoothly come down from that on the k03/s to play it safe for stage 2. Matt supposedly raced his friend with GIAC and they were neck to neck :eek:

Im trying to get 265hp out of k03s with w/m and custom stage 3 with all supporting mods for someone so we will see where that gets me but you just seem to be unlucky with turbos :p

Go FrankenTurbo if you have the money. Im just poor and can't afford it :(
265bhp on a ko3? Thats a bit of a stretch my friend... even with advanced timing and w/m

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.