VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Banned
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What up everyone!
I'm in a little bit of a bind. I need to fix a 92 jetta 8v.
It has oil residue in the coolant over flow tank. I am not sure if it is also in the oil pan and cannot check because the car is 2 hours from my location.
Basically I am wondering if I should be replacing the head gasket or the oil cooler and O ring?
I have all parts on order even the oil cooler but of course only want to replace what is necessary.
Also, the car is hard starting the first time of the day. Should the blue coolant temp sensor be replaced?

· Registered
6,880 Posts
Re: Oil in coolant reservoir (steve_m00001)

If you have acess to a sniffer, check your coolant res for gaseous HC's... if you have them, it means you have an internal head gasket leak which is only going to get worse. (Bad head gasket can, but not alwasy, lead to poor starting.

· Registered
2,567 Posts
Re: Oil in coolant reservoir (Seax_Smith)

If you want to go for the jugular do a quick compression test... almost all headgasket issues will show up.
You can refine with a leakdown afterwards.... but if you've got oil in the coolant it's probably not very subtle and will show up.
Being a bit scientific always beats just throwing parts at something IMHO.

· Banned
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Oil in coolant reservoir (Vincent Waldon)

Quote, originally posted by Vincent Waldon »

Being a bit scientific always beats just throwing parts at something IMHO.

I totally agree with you. It's my girlfriends car and i do my best to keep good parts on it and also keep it running proper.
I am only able to see/fix the car this weekend (school) and I am just trying to get the right parts. Like i said, i ordere everythign to do a head job, and also a new oil cooler and seal.
I can always swap in a ABA on the weekend hahah

· Registered
2,567 Posts
Re: Oil in coolant reservoir (TehLonz)

WAIT A MINUTE... this is an standard 8V right.... so no oil cooler unless someone added it.
I shoulda read more closely...looked at your sig.
If so, headgasket are you destined for, Luke.

Modified by Vincent Waldon at 4:06 PM 8-5-2008

· Registered
2,567 Posts
Re: Oil in coolant reservoir (steve_m00001)

Cool... didn't know that flavor existed.
I actually like the air/water intercooler... it gets the oil up to operating temperature quickly. Supplemented with a thermostatically controlled air/oil cooler and you are in great shape.
Until it leaks...

· Banned
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Oil in coolant reservoir (puredrive)

Quote, originally posted by puredrive »
from personal experience.
start with the o ring and the oil cooler. If that does not work..then look elsewhere.
Headgasket Job

I'll do both. It wont take more then a couple hours. Thanks guys. I'll post up if problems persists.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.